The Student Room Group

Could I get into optometry with my grades and work experience?

I'm in year 12 (the lower sixth) and I originally wanted to do medicine but due to my bad GCSE grades and seeing the amount of work experience that other medical students do, I don't think that I have a good chance. So I am now considering optometry. Please note that I will be adding to work experience over the year and next year too.

My GCSE grades:
Mathematics: A*
English Language: A*
Chemistry: A*
Physics: A*
History: A*
Electronics: A*
Punjabi: A*
Biology: A
Geography: A
English Literature: A
French: B

Advanced FSMQ (equivalent to an AS level unit): A [highest grade]

Right now, i'm volunteering at an old-people's care home and will volunteer till I have completed a full year. I have shadowed a paediatrician in India to learn more about diseases that occur abroad but not in UK. Also, i'm going to be starting to volunteer at a blind people's centre for six months at least. Apart from this, I have been attending Birmingham Mini Medical School to gain an insight into medicine across this autumn term; however seeing the geniuses over there and my own substandard profile I assume i'll have to relinquish my hopes of becoming a doctor one day. For extra curricular, I solve many types of Rubik's cubes and have attended a competition too. I can play the guitar and have got a grade 5 merit in it. I am volunteering in my school biology and astronomy clubs too. Also, i'll be representing my school in the Team maths challenge and have represented my former school for badminton

I'm currently doing A-levels in mathematics, physics, biology and chemistry.
I've done an AS level in English language and i'm awaiting my result.
**** man try neuro science and then do fast track medicine or something..great GCSEs btw

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which school teaches Punjabi? That would be my question.

As mentioned before good grades though.

Getting into optometry should be no problem for you. But you should look at finding other alternatives of getting into medicine, especially if you've put in so much thought and work.

I've heard of a lot of people who don't quite make it into medicine and take on Pharmacy or Optometry but don't enjoy it and often end up dropping out. So my advice would be to speak to various people before you make a final decision.
there's no reason why you can't get into medicine with those stats! you're only a couple of months into y12, you have time to make a great application. Your GCSEs are great and you already have more work experience than most medical applicants at my school did at that stage, plus loads of extra curriculars. Keep it all up, and if you're on track to get 3As at A level and get a good UKCAT (+possibly good BMAT after applying) you have as good a chance as anyone. Obviously it's competitive and all applicants will be of a high calibre - but still it's a bit premature to give up on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by akash3141
I'm in year 12 (the lower sixth) and I originally wanted to do medicine but due to my bad GCSE grades and seeing the amount of work experience that other medical students do, I don't think that I have a good chance. So I am now considering optometry. Please note that I will be adding to work experience over the year and next year too.

My GCSE grades:
Mathematics: A*
English Language: A*
Chemistry: A*
Physics: A*
History: A*
Electronics: A*
Punjabi: A*
Biology: A
Geography: A
English Literature: A
French: B

Advanced FSMQ (equivalent to an AS level unit): A [highest grade]

Right now, i'm volunteering at an old-people's care home and will volunteer till I have completed a full year. I have shadowed a paediatrician in India to learn more about diseases that occur abroad but not in UK. Also, i'm going to be starting to volunteer at a blind people's centre for six months at least. Apart from this, I have been attending Birmingham Mini Medical School to gain an insight into medicine across this autumn term; however seeing the geniuses over there and my own substandard profile I assume i'll have to relinquish my hopes of becoming a doctor one day. For extra curricular, I solve many types of Rubik's cubes and have attended a competition too. I can play the guitar and have got a grade 5 merit in it. I am volunteering in my school biology and astronomy clubs too. Also, i'll be representing my school in the Team maths challenge and have represented my former school for badminton

I'm currently doing A-levels in mathematics, physics, biology and chemistry.
I've done an AS level in English language and i'm awaiting my result.

TSR manages to amaze me more by the day as to what some people consider bad results.
You have 7 fu*king A*s at GCSE, which is probably more than 99%+ of people and is not even close to bad.

Quick Reply

Latest