Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,
    Here is a thread where we can discuss all areas of the Higher course as well as share our tips and resources. How are we all finding the course so far? Our class is studying 1984 for the Critical Essay and the works of Carol Ann Duffy for our Scottish Set Text, so if anyone is struggling with these texts (or any RUAE/folio work), then feel free to ask for help

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I'm doing 'The Crucible' (but I did '1984' last year) and Carol Ann Duffy for the poems.
    I think it's going alright so far. I just did my first draft for my discursive essay and am handing it this week to my teacher so we'll see what she thinks of it...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi all
    You guys are honestly so lucky that your school lets you do interesting books like 1984.
    This year we're doing The Crucible for the critical essay and Norman MacCaig for the poetry. So far we've also completed our reflective essay.
    Overall it's going good although English is my worst and least favourite subject. I'm good at the close reading but not so good at the poems especially that 10 mark question...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sherlock222)
    Hey,
    I'm doing 'The Crucible' (but I did '1984' last year) and Carol Ann Duffy for the poems.
    I think it's going alright so far. I just did my first draft for my discursive essay and am handing it this week to my teacher so we'll see what she thinks of it...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We're doing The Crucible too, have you started it yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ___Sophie___)
    We're doing The Crucible too, have you started it yet?
    Yes, we're currently midway through it. My teacher got the audio book for The Crucible and so we listen to sections of that instead of reading it out loud to the class which I quite like.
    We also did a short story called Flowers by Robin Jenkins before the summer and I think we're doing another short story later in the year. I presume this is so we can also do the critical essay on this and choose which piece suits the questions better...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, we're currently midway through it. My teacher got the audio book for The Crucible and so we listen to sections of that instead of reading it out loud to the class which I quite like.
    We also did a short story called Flowers by Robert Jenkins before the summer and I think we're doing another short story later in the year. I presume this is so we can also do the critical essay on this and choose which piece suits the questions better...
    Ah cool, at our school we always only do the one text. How is The Crucible? Is it interesting? Is it hard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ___Sophie___)
    Ah cool, at our school we always only do the one text. How is The Crucible? Is it interesting? Is it hard?
    Well, as I've said, I havenet finished it yet so have yet to make complete judgement. It's kind of interesting but I don't enjoy it that much ... but then again English isn't really my favourite subject so it could just be that I don't like analysing the book.
    I'm not finding it that hard but I enjoyed 1984 more when I did it last year because I think it appeals to my interests more.
    I take it you haven't started looking at The Crucible yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well, as I've said, I havenet finished it yet so have yet to make complete judgement. It's kind of interesting but I don't enjoy it that much ... but then again English isn't really my favourite subject so it could just be that I don't like analysing the book.
    I'm not finding it that hard but I enjoyed 1984 more when I did it last year because I think it appeals to my interests more.
    I take it you haven't started looking at The Crucible yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I don't like analysing books either and no not yet we'll start soon I think, we've almost finished our poems

ReputationRep:
    Hey.
    I really need help with my english folio i have written a persuasive piece on why the jury system should be abolished but i cant think of a title can anyone help?😊😊
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Chloe01)
    Hey.I really need help with my english folio i have written a persuasive piece on why the jury system should be abolished but i cant think of a title can anyone help?😊😊
    Hi. You could call it 'The Jury's Out'

ReputationRep:
    Hey.

We're doing Norman MacCaig for poetry and king lear as our text.

Folio has been meh so far.

ReputationRep:
    My eng teacher, absolute bean that they r, is doing 7 poems all from different poets. For he play I'm studying the winter's tale and for the set text
    I'm doing the cone gatherers.
    Is anyone else doing poem's and a play for the essay section cos I feel it's a bit of a waste of time 2 do both.

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying The Cone Gatherers for my Scottish Text and Black berry pickings for my Crit essay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did my higher English last year and got a C so I'm resitting it this year and I was wondering if I would get plagiarised or penalised for sending the same creative essay I sent last year? My essay got good marks last year so I don't really want to waste time writing another essay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauratobin)
    I did my higher English last year and got a C so I'm resitting it this year and I was wondering if I would get plagiarised or penalised for sending the same creative essay I sent last year? My essay got good marks last year so I don't really want to waste time writing another essay
    Don't think you're allowed to do that sorry. Talk to you're teacher about it but I'm certain it's not allowed, Im my school think I remember someone in my class asked a teacher about it and she said no and that he would have to do another one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Lauratobin)
    (Original post by RossB1702)
    Don't think you're allowed to do that sorry. Talk to you're teacher about it but I'm certain it's not allowed, Im my school think I remember someone in my class asked a teacher about it and she said no and that he would have to do another one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ross is right- you will need to do it again unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    Oh God, I'm really struggling with the folio. I've got a persuasive essay (two, actually) in first draft form and I can tell that they're going to be fine, but I just can't pin the creative essay and it's killing me. I just can't write a short story in 1300 words. I have one written in first draft form, but I haven't given it in to my teacher yet because my mum read over it for me and told me it was crap (I did ask for her to be honest, lol). I don't know what to do. It's so hard.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,
    I've been really struggling with a persuasive essay topic to do, all the topics ive chosen so far are too difficult to find any relevant information on. My creative essay, "A Diary of Me"; a creative piece written in the style of daily diary entries about the lead up to a murder, has been given high marks by the whole English department. I just need to find a topic for my persuasive. All ideas are welcome!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing The Fifth Child by Doris Lessing for Critical and Liz Lochhead for poetry (Lucky that she came to my school to answer any questions we had) My Discursive is on Libya and Gadaffi. My exam result was an A in Nat 5, and hopefully an A this Year.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    We are currently studying Jane Eyre and I have little to no resources on it, as my teacher is often off and when she is in we achieve very little. I was wondering if anyone else is doing Jane Eyre and has any resources I could use or any good website links? I've tried some quote - analysis websites, but they don't really have techniques like symbolism, tone etc included. Really beginning to worry as it's not long until prelims and I really need an A.
    Thanks

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.