purple_cloud
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey,

I'm not sure whether I want to go into publishing or journalism yet as I haven't had any work experience. However, I would like to take English Literature (and possibly German) at university.

I was just wondering what kind of things I could do to get a feel for this sector, aside from actual work experience - I think that maybe starting a blog may be useful but I'm not sure. I'm currently doing my GCSEs and so I'm looking for something that doesn't take up too much of my time.

I would love to get some ideas and hear about any of your experiences~~

Thanks!
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bxcks_)
Hey,

I'm not sure whether I want to go into publishing or journalism yet as I haven't had any work experience. However, I would like to take English Literature (and possibly German) at university.

I was just wondering what kind of things I could do to get a feel for this sector, aside from actual work experience, as I think that maybe starting a blog may be useful but I'm not sure.

I would love to get some ideas and hear about any of your experiences~

Thanks!
Write for anyone you can - the University will have a variety of student papers, websites etc
purple_cloud
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Write for anyone you can - the University will have a variety of student papers, websites etc
Thanks for you're advice, I'm not in university yet, so do you suggest that I find other sources to write to?
Milkround
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey,

One of my first careers was in publishing. What I found really helped get me an incite into the sector and a head start from others applying was work experience. I was luck enough to get lots of work experience at Bloomsbury. A lot of publishing houses offer 2 weeks+ work experience in their offices. You could also try and get some work experience in a newspaper or magazine to get a feel for journalism as well.

Here's some sector info about Publishing that might help you out:
http://advice.milkround.com/sector/media-publishing

I hope this helps!
purple_cloud
Rep:
?
(Original post by Milkround)
Hey,

One of my first careers was in publishing. What I found really helped get me an incite into the sector and a head start from others applying was work experience. I was luck enough to get lots of work experience at Bloomsbury. A lot of publishing houses offer 2 weeks+ work experience in their offices. You could also try and get some work experience in a newspaper or magazine to get a feel for journalism as well.

Here's some sector info about Publishing that might help you out:
http://advice.milkround.com/sector/media-publishing

I hope this helps!
Thanks so much for your advice! I've applied for work experience through my school so I'll see what kind I get through there. I'm also part of the production team for my school magazine. I'm currently doing my GCSEs so I'm looking more for things that don't take up a large amount of time for me as I'm also going to be applying for a job soon. Thank you for the sector info, it is very useful!
Milkround
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No problem at all. Happy to help, and good luck with all your applications!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (438)
56.3%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed