Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i have just finished Ib and i'm taking a gap year now. partly because i haven't decided on where to go yet and partly cause i want to work and make some money so don't have to loan that much. i still think that i have to loan though, and i don't like it, how long will it take to pay them off? what did you do, loan, savings or did you parents pay for it?

ReputationRep:
    borrowed £3158 from SLC, borrowed £3000 from my dad + savings +overdraft + job for my first year.....

for my second year....planning on doing the same!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    Make a master plan:

Get your parents out of work, then get your local newspaper to write a sob story about your potential and your poorness. People will then chuck money at you.

ReputationRep:
    I worked at Tesco all summer earning over £1,500. I also got a £3,000 student loan in case I needed the money for emergencies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Make a master plan:

Get your parents out of work, then get your local newspaper to write a sob story about your potential and your poorness. People will then chuck money at you.
    I wish that would work for me

ReputationRep:
    my parents are paying my accommodation (self-catering) and my tuition fees, but i dont know how much money im gonna need the first year for food,drinking etc. i should have saved up about £1300, but how much will i need to break into the student loan? - taking into account im a lightweight, and wont be spending HUGE amounts on alcohol as a result :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    I wish that would work for me
    Sure it will. I mean, what normal parents like their job? It'll be easy getting them out of work. And rich people throw money at poor people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clare_m)
    my parents are paying my accommodation (self-catering) and my tuition fees, but i dont know how much money im gonna need the first year for food,drinking etc. i should have saved up about £1300, but how much will i need to break into the student loan? - taking into account im a lightweight, and wont be spending HUGE amounts on alcohol as a result :rolleyes:

beware.....you will be trained to take more!!!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    i have just finished Ib and i'm taking a gap year now. partly because i haven't decided on where to go yet and partly cause i want to work and make some money so don't have to loan that much. i still think that i have to loan though, and i don't like it, how long will it take to pay them off? what did you do, loan, savings or did you parents pay for it?
    My parents paid my rent and I had to pay my fees. I took out the student loan, which covered myt fees and money to live off, I had to work in the holidays for any extra money. I've now graduated and I owe £12,000 to the SLC, £500 on my credit card and I'm £1500 overdrawn. Uni is very expensive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    beware.....you will be trained to take more!!!

love Katy ***
    my friends have been trying to train me for years and as a result have to cope with my sickness as a result! its good tho, as my rounds are usually cheaper - they buy me doubles, and i buy myself singles!

i really hope that uni will give me a stronger stomach!!

ReputationRep:

i really hope that uni will give me a stronger stomach!!
    Definitely! I would help you out, none of my friends can keep up with me. Where are you going?

In response to the original question, I've saved £3,000 from working in my gap year, am getting a loan of £5,095 (but £2,200 of this needs to cover accomomdation) and will probably get a part time job as well. I also have a bank overdraft of £1,250 if I need it!

ReputationRep:
    I am going this September-

%I have a big fat loan :rolleyes:

%200 from bank

%150 from other account

%A job at JD Sports (which will transfer me to the nearest one near my uni)

%£30 per week off of parents. I should be comfortable until d-day and the loan needs sorting out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenna999)
    Definitely! I would help you out, none of my friends can keep up with me. Where are you going?

In response to the original question, I've saved £3,000 from working in my gap year, am getting a loan of £5,095 (but £2,200 of this needs to cover accomomdation) and will probably get a part time job as well. I also have a bank overdraft of £1,250 if I need it!
    should be going to exeter, what about u?

ReputationRep:
    just read your profile - your off to manchester, their not really v close!... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

I got a job during my gap year. and i've saved 5K. I'll get a loan and my tuition fees paid. Just have to hope i get in.

ReputationRep:
    went part time.

Because I'm disabled I'm allowed to keep benefit, but if you don't take the full student loan they take it of benefit as it is classed as 'income'. Going part time meant my loan was only £500 and the DSS didn't take it of my benefit.

Also got some funding from charities / educational trust funds.

ReputationRep:
    just read your profile - your off to manchester, their not really v close!... :rolleyes:
    Hehe, erm, nope! Nevermind, I'm sure they'll be lots of people in Exeter that can help the lining of your stomach treble in size

ReputationRep:
    I live in guernsey so we automatically get a grant off states if we're going to uni - cos my parents are broke i got a full grant

plus what i've saved in my gap year - which isnt alot to be fair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    I worked full time during my degree.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.