Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I am looking to send off my application for straight History to apply to UCL, as well as King's, Manchester, Notts and Sheffield. However I have some worries and questions if any previous/current UCL students or just general people wanna answer:
    My GCSE's are 7A's 2B's 1C; are they good enough? Especially considering the C is in French.
    How much wider reading should I have/mention in my PS? - currently referencing three
    Do admissions tutors hate it when students talk about Carr's 'What is History?'?
    Is there any point in me mentioning certain periods of history in my PS without talking about talks/articles/books related to that period?
    btw my predicted grades are A*AA in History, Eng Lit and Economics respectively; I am also soon beginning an EPQ.
    Any response would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    i'm applying for History at UCL also! (Manchester and Sheffield too!)
    I think your grades are absolutely fine - it's more A-Levels they'll be worried about than GCSEs. I think the language one is only a problem if it's below a C, but you might wanna double check.
    I've mentioned a couple of books in relation to what I've talked about, but I still have some stuff with no books referenced. As long as you're still demonstrating you have an interest, it's ok!
    My predicted are A*AA in History, English Lit and Psych
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I got very similar, if not slightly worse GCSEs and got an offer, accepted and a scholarship for psychology back in '11.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george_walker123)
    Hello,
    I am looking to send off my application for straight History to apply to UCL, as well as King's, Manchester, Notts and Sheffield. However I have some worries and questions if any previous/current UCL students or just general people wanna answer:
    My GCSE's are 7A's 2B's 1C; are they good enough? Especially considering the C is in French.
    How much wider reading should I have/mention in my PS? - currently referencing three
    Do admissions tutors hate it when students talk about Carr's 'What is History?'?
    Is there any point in me mentioning certain periods of history in my PS without talking about talks/articles/books related to that period?
    btw my predicted grades are A*AA in History, Eng Lit and Economics respectively; I am also soon beginning an EPQ.
    Any response would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks a lot!
    Hello, my name is Emmet.

I do not know much about GCSE requirements, but here are my GCSEs: 7A*s, 1A, 2Bs

I would not care too much about the number of books read or referenced in the PS, but rather that which you have taken out of them; did you agree with the general historiographical progression? or did you disagree/agree with some arguments or selections of evidence the author made? Though, I did mention 5 books.

Well, I did write about Carr, knowing well that it is a widely read book, but I think the best thing to do in these scenarios is to identify things in the book that you think other applicants would not pick up on. In other words give a unique and insightful reflection. For example, I talked about how I liked his quite polemical dismantling of Marxist apologies regarding accidental causation. Moreover, I applied early, and I have been recently sent a questionnaire, so if they read my PS, it would seem that they did not really mind my mentioning of Carr.

I personally ensured that all cases of history I discussed had references to some kind of book or essay.

My IB predicted grades are roughly equivalent to, or more than 3A*s.

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    Thanks for the reply, you've reassured me quite a bit. I have checkec about the languages and they're happy as long as you have a C

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. UCL
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.