Turn on thread page Beta

Buying a new car in my dads name? watch

ReputationRep:
    I know it's illegal to put your parent down as the main driver on a car you are registered as the owner for to get a cheaper insurance.

But what if I were to buy a NEW car, I would just give my dad the money for the car, and then he buys the car and becomes the registered owner of it. Then he insures it with himself being the main driver, and adds me as a named driver. Obviously most of the time it would be me driving it though.

For the payments I could set it up directly to my debit card, or if that's not allowed it could be set up to my dads bank account, then I could just pay him when ever the next insurance bill is due.

It would obviously be way cheaper for me in terms of insurance cost and I could also finance a new car for the same cost as me getting insurance for my current car

Is this legal? Anyone else do something similar?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Jedders)
    I know it's illegal to put your parent down as the main driver on a car you are registered as the owner for to get a cheaper insurance.

But what if I were to buy a NEW car, I would just give my dad the money for the car, and then he buys the car and becomes the registered owner of it. Then he insures it with himself being the main driver, and adds me as a named driver. Obviously most of the time it would be me driving it though.

For the payments I could set it up directly to my debit card, or if that's not allowed it could be set up to my dads bank account, then I could just pay him when ever the next insurance bill is due.

It would obviously be way cheaper for me in terms of insurance cost and I could also finance a new car for the same cost as me getting insurance for my current car

Is this legal? Anyone else do something similar?
    It is still technically fronting, and it is still fraud.

Do it at your own risk.

ReputationRep:
    Not legal no. Registered keeper on the V5 doesn't have to be the main driver. The person driving it the most has to be named as the main driver on insurance.

People do it yes, but it won't be pretty if/when you get caught.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    As stated before, it's fronting, and is illegal. On top of that, however, you won't be building a NCB, so when you finally pull your finger out and try getting your own insurance, you have to pay full premiums.

ReputationRep:
    There is a reason it is cheaper - you are telling the insurance company that your dad is driving the car most of the time, and you are using it occasionally. If you make a claim (or have one made against you) the insurance company will likely decide to investigate the claim in a little more detail when you are not the main driver. They will work out what is going on and your insurance will be cancelled. On top of that, it is fraud and is a criminal offence. It just isn't worth it. You would end up having to pay the costs of the claim yourself, and would probably find yourself in court - the outcome of which could be a hefty fine and a driving ban.

It isn't worth the risk. You are better off sticking with your current car and building your NCB.

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiosity I checked on comparison websites and it doesn't actually make the prices any cheaper anyway, once you list yourself as a named driver it shoots back up as if you were the main driver.

One thing I did notice is that these price comparison websites are very shady, they seem to operate like how flight ticket websites operate, if they can tell that you are hunting around for a purchase, they hike the prices up! They kept on giving me expensive ass prices like 2 grand and upwards, but the following morning, after clearing my internet cookies, browser data and history, I filled in the form again with the exact same details(with myself as the main driver btw) and I suddenly got a few quotes almost a grand cheaper!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jedders)
    Out of curiosity I checked on comparison websites and it doesn't actually make the prices any cheaper anyway, once you list yourself as a named driver it shoots back up as if you were the main driver.

One thing I did notice is that these price comparison websites are very shady, they seem to operate like how flight ticket websites operate, if they can tell that you are hunting around for a purchase, they hike the prices up! They kept on giving me expensive ass prices like 2 grand and upwards, but the following morning, after clearing my internet cookies, browser data and history, I filled in the form again with the exact same details(with myself as the main driver btw) and I suddenly got a few quotes almost a grand cheaper!
    it's almost like the criteria for underwriting changes on a daily basis around the risks different insurers are willing to take on.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.