ReputationRep:
    Hey. merit in AEA geo and eco for me!

ReputationRep:
    Two Distinctions (English and History )

ReputationRep:
    A merit in English! Woo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha Blacksta)
    Merit in AEA Maths, enough to meet my offer, so im pleased. Although I could have performed better in the exam I feel but a little exhausted after all of the A-level ones!!

I actually feel as though my AEA is my only worthwhile qualification though, with the amount of people it seems that got a decent string of A's this year in A-levels! Atleast the AEA is a qualification that the minority have got!
    agreed! i got pretty high marks for the rest of my modules, which I'm happy about, but the AEA made me feel over the moon!! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fiercellama)
    I got merits in my AEA history and english, but would really like to know what the UMS marks were. I'm kind of annoyed with myself because thinking back to the questions I'm pretty sure that if I had actually prepared I could have done better. Ah well
    I doubt marks will be scaled on a single exam. Unless you meant raw marks...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calcium878)
    I doubt marks will be scaled on a single exam. Unless you meant raw marks...
    Oh yeah, that's what I meant lol. Can't keep up with what you crazy kids are calling it nowadays. My bad

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I got a merit for AEA Economics.. i was just wondering how much of an advantage having this extra qualification will be in the future?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    That's a bit of an open-ended question.
    Advantage for what?

ReputationRep:
    I got distinctions in History and English, and a merit in French, so I'm really really happy with myself - just a bit puzzled that in A-Level French I got a B lol
    Tbh, I dont care anyway, cos I still got into uni anyway!!

ReputationRep:
    You have to be put forward to do an AEA. It's not that much more administration, but many teachers don't know about it so present it to them. You might also need to be prepared to pay (it's around £40 - quite steep) depending on your sixth form / college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holski)
    How do you get to do AEA's?

Do all 6th Forms do them?

Does your teacher just put you forward for it if they think you are capable?

Thanks

Not all sixth forms and colleges offer them, in fact most do not. This is because they rarely form part of a university offer and many schools don't know enough about them at present. If you are interested in taking an AEA, I would advise you to ask either your exams officer or teacher to see if you can be entered for one. I think the majority of people who take the AEA have strong A's in the relevant subject(s); I know I had 269 in AS German and 300 in RS. However, it is possible to do one with a B at AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holski)
    Thanks for the info

Do you have to start them in September or can you start whenever?

No problem . It depends on your college or sixth form. At mine I did not receive any extra preparation at all; I was just given a specimen paper and mark scheme a month before the exam and that was it! You may have a timetabled lesson for it (say one hour per week). That's why I'd ask your teacher when you go back if I were you . The exams are in June btw and you should not have to pay for them. I didn't anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Lol I would have loved extra lessons for it but I am not sure how exactly they would help. Isn't the whole point of the AEA to test natural ability rather than what you have been taught?

Basically what I am asking in a very round about way is how do these lessons prepare people for AEA's??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emsy88)
    Lol I would have loved extra lessons for it but I am not sure how exactly they would help. Isn't the whole point of the AEA to test natural ability rather than what you have been taught?

Basically what I am asking in a very round about way is how do these lessons prepare people for AEA's??
    They probably just involve looking at past papers and mark schemes...

I would say AEAs are there both to test your natural ability and what you have learned at A-level. They are an 'extension' of A-level exams and do require prior knowledge. It would be difficult to pass AEA RS, for example, if you had not taken the A-level; natural ability would not give you the full knowledge and understanding needed to pass it.

ReputationRep:
    I got a distinction in chemistry and a merit in biology - and still I'm baffled about how I managed that merit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_banana)
    I got a distinction in chemistry and a merit in biology - and still I'm baffled about how I managed that merit!
    Well done. You managed it somehow .

ReputationRep:
    AEA History - Distinction
    AEA Psychology - Merit

AEA RS - U - arrrrrrgggh!

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.