The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

University of Leeds Applicants 2017 Entry

:party2:~UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS APPLICANTS 2017 ENTRY~:party2:

Welcome to the University of Leeds Applicants 2017 Entry thread! :banana:

What course are you applying for, what were your AS or equivalent grades, what are your predicted grades, and when did you get your offer if you did?

Course: International Relations and Japanese
GCSEs: 1A, 3B, 6C
AS: AAAB (Politics, Psychology, Sociology, and English Literature)
Predicted: Unknown

Good luck, everyone!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Applying for: French and Italian
GCSEs: 4A*, 3A, 4B
AS: AAAB (French, English Literature, History and Politics)
Predictions: A*A*A*

Sent off on the 14th, heard nothing so far. I really like Leeds so I hope I do get an offer... I talked to some of the academics and was very impressed.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Applying for an MEng in Aerospace Engineering
GCSEs: 1 A**, 6A*s, 5As, 1 B
AS: AAAA (Maths, further maths, physics and French)
A2 predictions: A*A*A* (Maths, further maths and physics)

Sent mine off on the 3rd and got an invite to an applicant day, but couldn't make either of the dates so I've yet to hear back from them...
Course: Chinese and Linguistics
GCSEs: 5A*s , 5As
AS: AAAB (Psychology, History, Maths, and Spanish)
Predicted: A*A*A for Psychology, Maths and Spanish respectively ( + either an A/A* for EPQ)

Still waiting for references and stuff before I send off my application. Hope I get an offer though the languages department looked awesome!
(edited 7 years ago)
Course: MBiol Zoology
Predicted: 42/45 (IB) with 776 at HL

Sent off UCAS a day before the Oxbridge deadline. I've only recently received an acknowledgment on Monday:s-smilie:
Hoping for an offer soon!
Course: Psychology
GCSE's: 2 A*'s 6 A's, 3 B's and 2 C's
AS: AAB (Psychology, Spanish, English Language)
Predicted: A*AA

I've already had my offer from Leeds and all the rest of my universities! Conditional AAA!
Course(s): Medicine / Sport and Exercise Science
GCSEs: 3A*, 6A, 1B
AS: AAAB (Chemistry, Maths, Biology, English Language)
Predictions: AAA, + unknown in EPQ

Really liked Leeds, so applied for both Medicine and one of my alternatives! Already had an Applicant visit/interview invite for Sport Science, and then waiting to sit my BMAT for Medicine :smile:
Reply 7
course: philosophy
GCSEs: 1A, 5B, 2C
AS: AD(philosophy, psychology) 2Distinction* in BTEC Applied science and health and social care
prdeictions: AD*D*+UNKNOWN IN EPQ

loved leeds when visited on open day so its my first choice Just waiting for teacher to attach reference and then will sned off in one weeks time
Digital Media
GCSE - A*AAABBBBMCD
AS - AABBD
PREDICTION - AAABB (Media Studies, Portuguese, Sociology, English Literature, Psychology)
+ EPQ at an A

Applying this week, sacred shitless
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Course: Mathematics
GCSEs: 7A*s, 2As
AS: AAAA (Maths, Further Maths, Biology Physics)
Predictions: A*A*A*A

Received an offer earlier today actually!
Original post by Xsk
Course: Mathematics
GCSEs: 7A*s, 2As
AS: AAAA (Maths, Further Maths, Biology Physics)
Predictions: A*A*A*A

Received an offer earlier today actually!

Wow! Please can i ask what revision techniques you used to get an A in Biology? I got a B last year at AS, but with the new linear course, i think i need to up my game a little bit :s-smilie:
Reply 11
Original post by idontwannagrowup
Wow! Please can i ask what revision techniques you used to get an A in Biology? I got a B last year at AS, but with the new linear course, i think i need to up my game a little bit :s-smilie:

I'm under CCEA whose A-Levels aren't undergoing the whole linear reformation thingymabober :tongue:

Biology is a weird one. It was a throwaway subject at the start of the year (which is bad, I know), but I grew to love it and it was my best AS-Level (292/300 UMS!) lmao, so hey, it all worked out in the end :biggrin:

Everyone tells you that Biology is all about learning facts, and that as long as you can recite them you'll be fine, which I suppose is true to a certain extent as there is a LOT of recall in Biology. But when the examiners decide to test you on actual application of knowledge and questions which link topics together, you'll trip up. Imo you need to look at your notes and actually understand how more complex concepts build on the basic stuff.

I know youre doing new linear courses now, but past papers are your best friend. Be a harsh marker on yourself when you do them - no one will see the marks except yourself. See exactly what the examiners are looking for in the markschemes and make sure your answer has all the key words - no key word, probably no mark awarded. And look at essay questions! 'It came up last year so won't come up this year' does not mean you should ignore it! The bullet points in the markscheme give you invaluable knowledge, often things which aren't really in the textbook, which can help you answer non-essay questions better.
Original post by Xsk
I'm under CCEA whose A-Levels aren't undergoing the whole linear reformation thingymabober :tongue:

Biology is a weird one. It was a throwaway subject at the start of the year (which is bad, I know), but I grew to love it and it was my best AS-Level (292/300 UMS!) lmao, so hey, it all worked out in the end :biggrin:

Everyone tells you that Biology is all about learning facts, and that as long as you can recite them you'll be fine, which I suppose is true to a certain extent as there is a LOT of recall in Biology. But when the examiners decide to test you on actual application of knowledge and questions which link topics together, you'll trip up. Imo you need to look at your notes and actually understand how more complex concepts build on the basic stuff.

I know youre doing new linear courses now, but past papers are your best friend. Be a harsh marker on yourself when you do them - no one will see the marks except yourself. See exactly what the examiners are looking for in the markschemes and make sure your answer has all the key words - no key word, probably no mark awarded. And look at essay questions! 'It came up last year so won't come up this year' does not mean you should ignore it! The bullet points in the markscheme give you invaluable knowledge, often things which aren't really in the textbook, which can help you answer non-essay questions better.

Thank you! The application stuff is definitely what gets me, it's just trying to understand what the examiners want from you. I've started making notes from the past paper questions they give us in class, and after christmas I'm going to do loads of past papers, so they're fresh in my mind.

Thanks for the advice :smile:
Course: childhood studies
GCSEs: 3As 4Bs 2Cs
AS: ABBD (2 marks away from AAA) law psychology sociology history
Predicted:AAB
Course: Law
IB: Predicted 38/45 with 7,6,6 in HL (English, Chemistry and Biology)

Already got a conditional offer of 35 points with 665 HL! :smile: Still waiting on three more universities to reply (Oxford, KCL and Exeter)
(edited 7 years ago)
Course: Economics
GCSEs: 6A*, 4A, 1C
AS: 4As (Maths, Economics, Geography, History)
A2 predictions: 3A* (above minus history)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Course: BA Geography
GCSEs: 11 A* & 1 A
AS: AAAB (Maths, Geog, French, History)
A2 predictions: A*AA (Geog, Maths, History)

Have an offer, AAA 😬😬 have also applied to Liverpool, Cardiff, Manchester and Birmingham
Reply 17
Got an offer for politics!! AAB which is really decent. So excited!
Course: biomedical science
AS: Didn't do any
Predicted: AAAD* (biology, sociology, psychology, BTEC sport)
Other unis: Lancaster, Manchester, Kent, Warwick
Haven't sent yet.
Original post by kmequeen
Course: Law
IB: Predicted 38/45 with 7,6,6 in HL (English, Chemistry and Biology)

Already got a conditional offer of 35 points with 665 HL! :smile: Still waiting on three more universities to reply (Oxford, KCL and Exeter)

I have got offers from all my choices except Leeds:
Liverpool - 32 IB points, 5 in Maths (S/L) and no subject less 4
Mnachester - 32 IB points, 6,6,6 and at least a 5 in English
Sheffield - 36 IB points with at least a 5 in English
MMU (offered received today) - 26 IB points
Leeds: offer pending

I see you are doing IB too. Where are you applying from? I am applying from Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Enala

Quick Reply

Latest