Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in a bit of a stress coz I don't know whether I want to drop out of uni or not..
    I'm a fresher and just started medicine at Birmingham like a month ago but I don't have the motivation to work and I'm not really enjoying uni life, I honestly feel like I'm not even going to pass my exams I do the bare minimum and dont fully understand whats going on.

My flatmates are so nice and we all get along as well as the flat opposite but I don't feel like I'm super close with them or anyone on my course or elsewhere and just feel extremely lonely, they all seem to be much closer to each other and I do feel very left out most of the time (I always hear people calling for others to come over to the other flat to watch movies and nobody ever knocks on my door)
    I like going out with my flatmates them but the friends I have on my course don't drink or go out so I don't feel as close with them.

I kinda regret doing medicine aswell coz I feel like I dont want to become a doctor anymore and I know you can do other things with a medical degree but I feel like its such a waste of money if youre paying for 5/6 years of education and dont end up using the degree, I'd much rather do something else sciency and be able to take a year abroad and enjoy my time/degree at uni.

Thing is, if I drop out now, I have to write a whole new UCAS application and go through that hell again to reapply to a different course, and I know my parents would be more than disappointed in me

If anyone else has felt at all like this please help!!

Thanks in advance!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I'm sorry you're having a hard time. It looks like there are a few things for you to think about here:
    Do you want to become a doctor? If you're struggling now this is a good time to stop and think. It only gets harder and you have a long road ahead. Don't worry about what other people will say. What do you want? Why are you questioning whether this is what you want? How did you feel about it when you were doing your work experience? Redoing your UCAS application should be the least of your worries. In the grand scheme of things it's probably one of the easiest applications you'll put together.
    Re: your social life you need to put yourself out there. If you come across as shy or wanting to do your own thing people will stop involving you in things or asking you to join them. If you hear people calling to each other and know them then join them.Have you considered joining any clubs or societies to meet people with similar interests?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, it sucks that you're having a hard time but its a way more common feeling than you think (i know that doesn't help but trust me there are others). I got to uni and changed my course twice before I found what i wanted to do!! I changed from law to history (one of the most oversubscribed courses) so it can be done even if it seems impossible! If it's possible for you to switch, definitely consider it as soon as possible because you have to do something you love Maybe set yourself a plan, try and switch course, give it until Christmas and then consider your options. It could be that taking a year out and getting experience gives you a clearer idea of what you want!! Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    I'm sorry you're having a hard time. It looks like there are a few things for you to think about here:
    Do you want to become a doctor? If you're struggling now this is a good time to stop and think. It only gets harder and you have a long road ahead. Don't worry about what other people will say. What do you want? Why are you questioning whether this is what you want? How did you feel about it when you were doing your work experience? Redoing your UCAS application should be the least of your worries. In the grand scheme of things it's probably one of the easiest applications you'll put together.
    Re: your social life you need to put yourself out there. If you come across as shy or wanting to do your own thing people will stop involving you in things or asking you to join them. If you hear people calling to each other and know them then join them.Have you considered joining any clubs or societies to meet people with similar interests?
    Thank for your help!
    tbh i was having doubts before exams whether I still wanted to become a doctor and continue with a medical degree but I thought I've got an offer and put so much time into applying, I'll just stick it out and do something else after the 5 years are up but now I'm really struggling to find motivation and put the effort into to making notes etc. I feel like I havent learnt anything in the month that I have been here. I just dont think I can carry on with the clinical side of things, I get exhausted trying to keep up conversations with people and I'm a lot more introverted so I feel like seeing patients everyday would leave me shattered. I'm not sure what to do because being the obsessive person I am, I know that the deadline of ucas is 15 jan so I'm going to have to write a personal statement and call up school for references and crap when I onyl have a couple of months and thats giving me so much anxiety.

In terms of the social side, I do try and spend time with my flat/floormates and tend to speak and chat with them but I just feel like theyre being polite and allowing me to be with them whereas nobody seems to really want to actively spend time with me or invite me to go over if im not already with them. I am quite a shy person but I have tried so hard to push myself during freshers and the beginning of term to get myself out there and it seemed to be going well for the first couple of weeks but i guess it really still hasnt worked

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.