• Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Different tables will look at different things and rank unis differently. Don't bother with any of that. Just pick unis that you're interested in and mete the entry requirements for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bcmp17)
    Reading is 27th on the complete university guide ranking in general but it is only 54th for biological science.
    Why is this so low? And also how is the ranking decided?
    Thanks
    Each league table is based on a series of measures (e.g. research quality, money spent per student, student satisfaction, employment prospects etc.) which they sum up in some way to reach a total. You should be able to find the methodology for each one.

Overall university rankings can differ from departmental ones because some universities are stronger in one department than another. Often this is due to research strength, but also teaching feedback and employment prospects.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Reading is 27th on the complete university guide ranking in general but it is only 54th for biological science.
    Why is this so low? And also how is the ranking decided?
    Thanks
    Hi,

I know I'm a little biased, as I am currently studying at Reading. But when I was looking I didn't really look at the rankings too much, and instead I looked at the course opportunities and campus, and if would enjoy my time at the university. Those reasons are why I chose Reading, and the rankings tend to change each year and vary between different league tables. So my advice would be to go with a university offers you the most and you could imagine studying in for 3+ years.

Opportunities for your course include our lake and beautiful campus, which is lovely to live in and walk around, and could be a site you use in your studies, also if you are doing biological sciences, you are also likely to have the opportunity to work in our Hopkins Building which is a fantastic building with labs and teaching spaces.

I hope this helps, and feel free to ask me any other questions.

Emma
    3rd year Human and Physical Geographer
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi bcmp17,
    To add to Emma's comments.

I'd certainly encourage you to look at the modules available for Biological Sciences at Reading which you can find here. Every university will have an array of modules to choose from and would say the university that has modules that are particular of interest to you should over-ride where they are positioned on the league tables .

Please do look at the facilities that are on offer, Reading has a fantastic facility which hosts our Life Sciences (Hopkins building); we’re also investing £55m in a new Life Sciences building, which subject to planning permission will be completed by 2019.

Finally, the Biological Sciences department are doing some world-leading research at the moment, particularly around cardiovascular disease, an exciting opportunity for you to get involved in these real life and ground breaking research which can potentially enhance those job prospects that you are seeking for after university.

I hope this has helped!

Mark
    Final Year Accounting and Management
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    I'm actually applying for biomedical science but on the league tables it goes under biological sciences. As the course is accredited by the IBMS it will be very similar to other accredited courses I am looking at. If I get an offer from Reading, I plan on firming it as I loved the campus & labs I would use at some point.
    It helped a lot, thank you!
    Apologies, there is a rough programme outline for Biomedical Science here, though may be subject to change for the 2017/18 intake.
    I'm glad you liked the Campus and Labs and hopefully look forward to welcoming you to the University next year

Mark
    Final Year Accounting and Management

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 3, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.