Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone able to help shed a little light on this topic? Specifically, his conversion to Home Rule.

I understand why it may be perceived that way - His "mission" etc.. But how do I form the counter argument? It's proving to be rather tricky.

Any help with this is appreciated.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    When you say counter argument, do you mean the reasons others were so against HR?

Sorry, brain incredibly fuzzy but I studied HR myself so can help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    When you say counter argument, do you mean the reasons others were so against HR?

Sorry, brain incredibly fuzzy but I studied HR myself so can help!
    Thanks for getting back to me and apologies for being vague and perhaps contributing to your fuzzy head!

So, essentially I have to assess whether or not Gladstone's conversion to Home Rule was a personal thing with Irish Nationalism in mind, OR, whether or not it was a more calculated act in order to secure the support of the Irish Parliamentary Party. I gues those are the two sides of the 'argument' although seemingly it is more difficult to find the evidence that it was a considered political act.

Many thanks!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by JJC23)
    Thanks for getting back to me and apologies for being vague and perhaps contributing to your fuzzy head!

So, essentially I have to assess whether or not Gladstone's conversion to Home Rule was a personal thing with Irish Nationalism in mind, OR, whether or not it was a more calculated act in order to secure the support of the Irish Parliamentary Party. I gues those are the two sides of the 'argument' although seemingly it is more difficult to find the evidence that it was a considered political act.

Many thanks!
    Sorry for the late reply

Personally, I lie on the political act side of the argument. After all, he did pass the Coercion Act 1881 and that did not really help the situation. Also consider that he needed the IPP seats in order to have a majority in parliament.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 1, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.