Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, could I get a little help with this.

I've written:
    "Als direkte Konsequenz der Amt antretenden Grünen wurde erneuerbare Energie einer großen Sache Auftrieb gegeben "

In an attempt to say:
    "As a direct consequence of 'die Grünen' coming into office, renewable energy was given a huge boost"

Is that anywhere near right?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wraggy)
    Hi, could I get a little help with this.

I've written:
    "Als direkte Konsequenz der Amt antretenden Grünen wurde erneuerbare Energie einer großen Sache Auftrieb gegeben "

In an attempt to say:
    "As a direct consequence of 'die Grünen' coming into office, renewable energy was given a huge boost"

Is that anywhere near right?
    Thanks
    Hi Wraggy,
    how about "Als direkte Konsequenz des Amtsantritts der Grünen erfuhr das Thema erneuerbare Energien einen großen Auftrieb"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grizzlybär)
    Hi Wraggy,
    how about "Als direkte Konsequenz des Amtsantritts der Grünen erfuhr das Thema erneuerbare Energien einen großen Auftrieb"
    Vielen Dank!

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a general question here guys... What does 'wohl' mean? We had a mock listening today and it featured heavily in the questions.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Bit of a general question here guys... What does 'wohl' mean? We had a mock listening today and it featured heavily in the questions.
    That's a tricky question, actually. In questions, it doesn't really mean an awful lot, and most of the time you can just leave it out without changing the meaning of the sentence. I suppose the closest equivalent in English would be 'then'.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    "Wohl" can also have a sense of "probably". I don't think it's very common, but Edexcel examiners seem to like to use it a lot - "was hat er wohl gemacht?" and so on.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, so I didn't need to worry that much about it then. Yep, it was an edexcel paper... Though with their screw up again with our results it looks like it'll be the last time we'll use them. Which sucks for me, because I get no more chances!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    "Wohl" can also have a sense of "probably". I don't think it's very common, but Edexcel examiners seem to like to use it a lot - "was hat er wohl gemacht?" and so on.
    Sort of... but it's actually a lot weaker than "probably", and you wouldn't usually translate it as "probably" if it's part of a question ("may" or "might" come closer, but again, "wohl" is a lot weaker). "Was hat er wohl gemacht?" sort of means "What might he have done?" - but not quite.

ReputationRep:
    Hm, difficult question! Actually I´ve never thought about the word...
    but when you say something and somebody else answeres you that he doesn´t believe in your words then you could say "wohl!" like "doch" also....

ReputationRep:
    So... I can chalk it down to being one of those floaty words that has a meaning that's hard to put your finger on? Oh, I love them </sarcasm> :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    So... I can chalk it down to being one of those floaty words that has a meaning that's hard to put your finger on? Oh, I love them </sarcasm> :p:
    In an Edexcel exam context, it always means something in the region of "probably".

ReputationRep:
    Halo!

Ich bin Verse und ich komme aus Singapur. Singapur liegt im sudosten von Asien. Ich bin zwanzig jahre alt. Ich wohne in Hochhaus im sechsten stock. Meine wohnung hat fuenf zimmer und meine zimmer ist sehr klein.

Meine muttersprache ist Chinesisch und Englisch. Ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch und bin im Deutschkurs A1.2.

Ich liebe fussball und Liverpool Fussball Club.

--------------------------------------------------

hi guys...i'm pretty new to german despite taking classes for a couple of months already. my local goethe institut only offers once a week classes so i learn at a slow pace. hope to be able to practise some deutsch here. please correct my mistakes! vielen danke!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Korrektur:
    (Original post by verse)
    Hallo! (Typo?)

Ich bin Verse und ich komme aus Singapur. Singapur liegt im Südosten von Asien. Ich bin zwanzig Jahre alt. Ich wohne in einem Hochhaus im sechsten Stock. Meine Wohnung hat fuenf Zimmer und mein Zimmer (because 'Zimmer' is neuter, not feminine) ist sehr klein.

Meine Muttersprachen sind (plural) Chinesisch und Englisch. Ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch und bin im Deutschkurs A1.2.

Ich liebe Fussball und Liverpool Football Club. (It's a name - don't change it.)
    I see you didn't bother to capitalise any nouns. :p: It's pretty important that you do so. Other than that, very few mistakes.

Anyway, welcome to the society. Nice to have you here.

ReputationRep:
    danke!

damn i'm too used to typing without any caps at all. heh.

question: is it 'wohne in einem Hochaus' because Hochaus is the object and not the subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by verse)
    danke!

question: is it 'wohne in einem Hochaus' because Hochaus is the object and not the subject?
    Yes, "ich" is the subject and Hochhaus is the direct object and since it's neuter it becomes einem.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by wtid)
    Yes, "ich" is the subject and Hochhaus is the direct object and since it's neuter it becomes einem.
    Not quite, sorry. There isn't a direct object here. It's "einem" simply because "in" takes the dative here (and your sentence is "I live in a block of flats", so you need some form of "ein" in there), and "einem" is the neuter dative form of "ein".

ReputationRep:
    wtid's explanation tallies with what i've learnt so far but i'm only just finished A1.1

generalebriety: the neuter form of ein can also be ein if i'm not wrong? if the noun in question is the subject and not the object, for male and neuter nouns 'ein' is used and for female nouns 'eine' is used. for eg. das ist ein Auto, das ist eine Lampe...please correct me if im wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by verse)
    wtid's explanation tallies with what i've learnt so far but i'm only just finished A1.1

generalebriety: the neuter form of ein can also be ein if i'm not wrong? if the noun in question is the subject and not the object, for male and neuter nouns 'ein' is used and for female nouns 'eine' is used. for eg. das ist ein Auto, das ist eine Lampe...please correct me if im wrong.
    Trust generalebriety more than me, he is a lot more advanced!

But Billy I don't get how there isn't an indirect object? The block of flats is the thing being lived in...:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by verse)
    danke!

Lol, that's one of my faults too. I'm slowly getting there (didn't help me not knowing what a noun was) and I'm sure you will too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by verse)
    This business about articles (ein, der etc etc) relates to a more complex chunk of grammar (the German cases). You will learn about them properly soon enough and the certain rules of them.

You are right that;
    Das ist ein Wagen (I don't like 'Auto', dunno why, just don't)
    Das ist eine Lampe

These are right because the verb 'sein' forces the thing after it to be the subject as well. (I'm not going to confuse you by using the technical terms)

But if I said, "I have a car" it would be "Ich habe einen Wagen". This is simply because I is the subject and the car is the object, because the car is the object of the sentence it has a slightly different article.

The question of why generalebriety changed your sentence to read in einem is because there is a list of prepositions which force the articles after them to be a certain type e.g. einen or einem.

An example of this is the sentence "I have a friend with a car" it would be "Ich habe einen Freund mit einem Wagen". The reason Wagen's article is einem is because mit is one of the prepositions which forces the article to be in a certain case (the dative). There are quite a few of them which you will get used to and remember.

I've tried to explain it as simply as possible but im not going to lie it is quite tricky to get your head around, for me it was the hardest part of the language to get used to.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2013

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.