(Original post by wtid)
    Thanks for the help, Billy

*edit* And Elizabeth...he was just slightly faster
    So I see. Damn him.:mad: :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Really? I'd just call that a long vowel. I suppose it's more a shift from one phoneme to the next than a shift from one letter to the next... you're probably right. :p:
    Yes, it's pure phonetics, really. Basically, if anything changes about your tongue and/or lips while you're pronouncing a vowel sound, it's a diphthong.

ReputationRep:
    Hallo Leute!

Just wondering (you brought my attention to it by all the talk of dictionaries:p:) whether you think it would be best for me to buy the Oxford-Duden German dictionary for university or the Collins one? The Oxford-Duden edition was last edited in 2005 as you can tell by the link, and the Collins was produced in 2007. It may seem pedantic, but I want to know your opinions on which would be best. I've got the French equivalent of the Oxford edition, and love it. The Durham website states to bring either one of them to university in October, but which would be the best bet in your opinions?

Danke!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by gooner1592)
    Hallo Leute!

Just wondering (you brought my attention to it by all the talk of dictionaries:p:) whether you think it would be best for me to buy the Oxford-Duden German dictionary for university or the Collins one? The Oxford-Duden edition was last edited in 2005 as you can tell by the link, and the Collins was produced in 2007. It may seem pedantic, but I want to know your opinions on which would be best. I've got the French equivalent of the Oxford edition, and love it. The Durham website states to bring either one of them to university in October, but which would be the best bet in your opinions?

Danke!
    Eek - hobnob's "banned by request". I was gonna leave this for her to answer, but I guess not. :p: Personally I'd say either would be fine. I use the Collins ones simply because I'm used to the layout and I've never been let down by them, but I don't think either is gonna be better than the other. Go into a shop and have a look at them both - see which one contains more useful information to you.

That's my completely uneducated advice, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I think I would go rfor the Oxford-Duden one, mainly because my german teacher had both (dictionary lover.XD) and I found the Oxford Duden one easier to use! , I found it easier to use than the colin ones.
    But both are good in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Eek - hobnob's "banned by request". I was gonna leave this for her to answer, but I guess not. :p: Personally I'd say either would be fine. I use the Collins ones simply because I'm used to the layout and I've never been let down by them, but I don't think either is gonna be better than the other. Go into a shop and have a look at them both - see which one contains more useful information to you.

That's my completely uneducated advice, anyway.
    Well, I would go into the shops and look, however, the Oxford ones are covered in plastic (has forgotten the word that begins with "P":p: I'm used to the Oxford ones, but I suppose my main quibble is going to be with whether or not there's going to be a huge difference in the types of vocab which has been added in two years. Meh...I'm sure I'll decide soon enough:p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by gooner1592)
    Well, I would go into the shops and look, however, the Oxford ones are covered in plastic (has forgotten the word that begins with "P":p: I'm used to the Oxford ones, but I suppose my main quibble is going to be with whether or not there's going to be a huge difference in the types of vocab which has been added in two years. Meh...I'm sure I'll decide soon enough:p:
    Nah. There might be the odd spelling change in there but I doubt it, and since you'll be dealing with new texts and old texts (and VERY old texts) it won't matter.

ReputationRep:
    Nah. There might be the odd spelling change in there but I doubt it, and since you'll be dealing with new texts and old texts (and VERY old texts) it won't matter.
    Hmmm...I see. I think I'll go for the Oxford-Duden one then, since I understand the layout:^_^:

ReputationRep:
    Ähm... I´ve found so many new words in the last week and now I´m really confused about a sentence: Can you say xxx by + gerund? For example "he repaired the car by using a special key" ? I think I´ve heard it but I´m afraid that I´ve mixed something up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gembarla)
    Ähm... I´ve found so many new words in the last week and now I´m really confused about a sentence: Can you say xxx by + gerund? For example "he repaired the car by using a special key" ? I think I´ve heard it but I´m afraid that I´ve mixed something up.
    It sounds better to say "he repaired the car using a special key". You don't need the "by" in there.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by gembarla)
    Wtid is right, it does sound better without the 'by', but of course grammatically you can say that. It wouldn't sound wrong at all. I'd stick to using 'by' if I were you, as long as it helps you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Most of it was OK apart from a few minor things, but the last sentence sounded a little rough in tone (unintentional, though, I'm sure). These are the corrections I'd suggest:
    Thanks so much.

ReputationRep:
    Hallo Leute.

Mein Gott ich langweile mich zum Tode! Ich hatte gehofft, dass ich während dieser Ferien arbeiten könnte. Doch war es angeblich aber nicht möglich, obwohl ich zugebe, dass ich letzte Woche 18 zusätzlichen Stunden gearbeitet habe. :p:

Habt ihr Pläne für die Sommerferien? Ich hoffe ein Arbeitspraktikum in Deutschland zu machen entweder mit der Firma, wofür meinen Vater arbeitet oder mit einer Organisation (Denglish! :rolleyes:), der* ich im Internet gefunden habe. Mit dieser Organisation wäre es allerdings viel teurer sein.

*Da 'der Organisation' im Dativ ist, muss 'der' auch im Dativ sein oder kommt der Fall auf die Funktion im tatsächlichen Nebensatz an? Verwirrt mich immer.

ReputationRep:
    Deutsch ist zu schwierig, I wish I never took it! (Don't know how to say that in German =/ )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Mariachi)
    Deutsch ist zu schwierig, I wish I never took it! (Don't know how to say that in German =/ )
    Deutsch macht Spaß!

If you ever need any help/anything explaining, just post here and I (and everyone else in here for that matter) will be more than happy to help you out.

ReputationRep:
    Wicked thanks, on that note, I want to say:

...that one can travel without the hassle of exchangeing currency,

Would I say

dass man reisen kann, ohne den Streit des Austauschens von Waehrung

or

dass man resien kann, ohne den Streit von Geld wechseln

or do neither make sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Mariachi)
    Wicked thanks, on that note, I want to say:

...that one can travel without the hassle of exchangeing currency,

Would I say

dass man reisen kann, ohne den Streit des Austauschens von Waehrung

or

dass man resien kann, ohne den Streit von Geld wechseln

or do neither make sense?
    Hmm, perhaps wait for a second opinion on this as there's a few native speakers/people more knowledgeable than myself, but I'd say something like..

..., dass man ohne den Ärger* des Währungsumtausches** reisen kann.

*As far as I know, so I may well be wrong, Streit usually means something along the lines of an argument/dispute. Admittedly I didn't know the word for hassle but my dictionary seems to think it's Ärger.

**I've only ever heard Austausch in the context of a school exchange and for some reason umtausch seems better. That said, it's entirely possible that Austausch is absolutely fine so I'd wait a while until someone else can give their opinion!

Hope that helped. Any other questions then just ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titaniyum)
    Hmm, perhaps wait for a second opinion on this as there's a few native speakers/people more knowledgeable than myself, but I'd say something like..

..., dass man ohne den Ärger* des Währungsumtausches** reisen kann.

*As far as I know, so I may well be wrong, Streit usually means something along the lines of an argument/dispute. Admittedly I didn't know the word for hassle but my dictionary seems to think it's Ärger.

**I've only ever heard Austausch in the context of a school exchange and for some reason umtausch seems better. That said, it's entirely possible that Austausch is absolutely fine so I'd wait a while until someone else can give their opinion!

Hope that helped. Any other questions then just ask.
    Ah yes, Aerger definitely sounds better, and the Austauch bit seems a bit more logical. Maybe I'll just restructure it a bit and make use of wechseln. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I´d go for "..., dass man ohne den Stress des Währungsumtausches reisen kann"...
    or "..., dass man stressfrei ohne Währungsumtausch /Geldumtausch reisen kann".

The 2nd sounds less overblown imho.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Titaniyum)
    *Da 'der Organisation' im Dativ ist, muss 'der' auch im Dativ sein oder kommt der Fall auf die Funktion im tatsächlichen Nebensatz an? Verwirrt mich immer.
    ^ That - it should be 'die'.

Couple of small corrections:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Hallo Leute.

Mein Gott ich langweile mich zum Tode! Ich hatte gehofft, dass ich während dieser Ferien arbeiten könnte. Doch es war angeblich aber (that's already covered in the 'doch') nicht möglich, obwohl ich zugebe, dass ich letzte Woche 18 zusätzlichen Stunden gearbeitet habe. :p:

Habt ihr Pläne für die Sommerferien? Ich hoffe ein Arbeitspraktikum in Deutschland zu machen entweder mit der Firma, wofür meinen Vater arbeitet oder mit einer Organisation (Denglisch! :rolleyes:), der* ich im Internet gefunden habe. Mit dieser Organisation wäre es allerdings viel teurer sein (nope, you've got that in the 'wäre' already; remember wäre = würde sein).

Nein, ich habe keine bestimmte Pläne für die Sommerferien. Ein paar Freunde von mir wollen Interrailing machen - wenn sie es schaffen, das alles zu organisieren, dann geh ich wahrscheinlich mit, aber das sind nur ein paar Wochen (und das wird sowieso sehr teuer sein), also vielleicht versuche ich, einen Job zu finden. Diese Ferien werde ich jedoch hoffentlich fahren lernen. Letzten Sommer haben wir gedacht, dass es zu teuer wäre, aber jetzt hat mein Vater gesagt, dass er es lieber hätte, wenn ich vor dem Ende meines Studiums fahren lerne, und deswegen hat er angeboten(?), mir das Fahren während dieser Ferien und der nächsten beizubringen.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2013

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.