Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by wtid)
    2 I don't know the conditional yet, but to be honest, why I used "werden" is beyond me Momentary lapse of concentration, perhaps...
    Fair enough... "die wir nie sagen" (which we never say) is also fine.

(Original post by wtid)
    I don't understand why that "die" needs to be there in "die wir..." instead of "das", something to do with the conditional?
    No. Der/die/das etc. are all words for "which" or "who", as well as "the". They (called relative pronouns) start a new clause (called a relative clause) send the verb to the end. There's a few anomalies in the plurals, but generally, it's formed in the same way as the definite article.

Example: ich habe einen Bruder, der Bob heißt - I have a brother who is called Bob.

So here I'm just using "die" as the accusative plural word for "which". (Accusative because it's the object of 'wir sagen'.)

(Original post by wtid)
    Finally! What's the difference between "dass" and "das"? When do you use which?
    "Das" is "that" as in "that's good", "I like that"; it's also the definite article. "Dass" is "that" as in "I didn't know that she had had a baby", "it's disgusting that people smoke".

In grammatical terms, "das" is a pronoun or a definite article (or, as described above, a relative pronoun), "dass" is a subordinating conjunction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Fair enough... "die wir nie sagen" (which we never say) is also fine.

No. Der/die/das etc. are all words for "which" or "who", as well as "the". They (called relative pronouns) start a new clause (called a relative clause) send the verb to the end. There's a few anomalies in the plurals, but generally, it's formed in the same way as the definite article.

Example: ich habe einen Bruder, der Bob heißt - I have a brother who is called Bob.

So here I'm just using "die" as the accusative plural word for "which". (Accusative because it's the object of 'wir sagen'.)

"Das" is "that" as in "that's good", "I like that"; it's also the definite article. "Dass" is "that" as in "I didn't know that she had had a baby", "it's disgusting that people smoke".

In grammatical terms, "das" is a pronoun or a definite article (or, as described above, a relative pronoun), "dass" is a subordinating conjunction.
    Thanks mate I find it hard differentiating the words (not just in that situation). That is that is that to me, so it's hard to notice them as different.

Ahh the relative clause, I have read about that, but not in my head yet. The hardest thing I find is actually noticing what each part of a sentence is, what type of word each is, etc. I don't know the differences in English nevermind German!

The bit in red is just a curiosity really, since you seem to know about languages. Thinking logically, it can't possibly be "There's a few..." because few is plural and "there is a few" is obviously wrong, it should be "There're". I've wondered for a while now, is that actually a word and if so, do people just say "there's + plural" out of laziness or is it acceptable?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by wtid)
    Ahh the relative clause, I have read about that, but not in my head yet. The hardest thing I find is actually noticing what each part of a sentence is, what type of word each is, etc. I don't know the differences in English nevermind German!
    Time to learn. German will teach you tons of English you never knew you knew.

(Original post by wtid)
    The bit in red is just a curiosity really, since you seem to know about languages. Thinking logically, it can't possibly be "There's a few..." because few is plural and "there is a few" is obviously wrong, it should be "There're". I've wondered for a while now, is that actually a word and if so, do people just say "there's + plural" out of laziness or is it acceptable?
    It should indeed be "there are". I use "there's" with a plural because that's simply the vernacular in my region. I'm not particularly against this because I'm more of a descriptivist than a prescriptivist (and besides, colloquialisms are sometimes the most interesting bit of a language ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtid)
    Ich finde es lustig wie Gembarla benutzt kommischer Phrasen/Sätze (this is the part of the sentence where I'll get stuck, since I've never really strung together more than a a main clause + whatever that just was) das wir werden nie sagen!

*edit* if "wie" introduces a subordinate clause (which I think it doesn't) then "wie Gembarla kommischer Phrasen/Sätze benutzt"
    jaja laugh at me :p:
    mmmmmmmmmmmmh i can´t stop it! how should i know which phrase is commonly used and which not? i love complex phrases (zusammengesetzte Wörter, Redewendungen), things that are already translated by LEO... and i don´t notice that they´re americanisms so i´m really proud of founding things like " to beat around the bush" "to beat so. to the punch" because i think they´re sooo idiomatic... gosh... heeelp!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gembarla)
    jaja laugh at me :p:
    mmmmmmmmmmmmh i can´t stop it! how should i know which phrase is commonly used and which not? i love complex phrases (zusammengesetzte Wörter, Redewendungen), things that are already translated by LEO... and i don´t notice that they´re americanisms so i´m really proud of founding things like " to beat around the bush" "to beat so. to the punch" because i think they´re sooo idiomatic... gosh... heeelp!!
    Haha don't worry, when I try and use leo I often get the totally wrong word! I remember a few months ago I wanted to say "ich habe langweilig" and I said "ich bin angebohrt"!!! I didn't consider that "bored" and "bored" are 2 totally seperate things!

the bold bit: hahaha I really wondered what you were going to say then! I saw "to beat..." and then "...so. to the punch" was on the next line, I thought you were going to say "to beat someone off"! (If you don't know what that means, well, ask LEO...actually LEO doesn't have it, it means "jemandem einen runter holen" )
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by wtid)
    the bold bit: hahaha I really wondered what you were going to say then! I saw "to beat..." and then "...so. to the punch" was on the next line, I thought you were going to say "to beat someone off"! (If you don't know what that means, well, ask LEO...actually LEO doesn't have it, it means "jemandem einen runter holen" )
    When did you turn 8 years old? ^o) :p:

ReputationRep:
    hahaha wtid

whats up with the bold bit?! according to leo "bold" means "frech", insolent and a bit is a part? (teil).. but I don´t understand it in the context.

another question (think they aren´t americanisms )
    whats the exact difference between "to think about" "to consider" "to deliberate" and "to ponder"?

ReputationRep:
    Ist irgendjemand wach?
    Ich bin, ich kann nicht schlafen, und ich habe so viel Überprüfung, dass ich machen muß. Dies ist lächerlich, und so deprimierend. geschweige denn muß ich noch meine französischen und deutschen Präsentationen machen.

Ich hoffe, dass sie lieber als ich sind!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    hahaha wtid

whats up with the bold bit?! according to leo "bold" means "frech", insolent and a bit is a part? (teil).. but I don´t understand it in the context.
    Bold = Fettdruck.

another question (think they aren´t americanisms )
    whats the exact difference between "to think about" "to consider" "to deliberate" and "to ponder"?
    Think about = nachdenken über or denken an, depending on the context. Consider is the same thing in most contexts. Ponder means the same (more 'nachdenken über' than 'denken an'), but implies that you're thinking for quite a long period of time. Deliberate means the same too (more 'nachdenken über' than 'denken an'), but implies that you're trying to come to a conclusion. You could deliberate about a problem; you could deliberate about whether to buy a certain item in a shop; however, you could think about the old days (reminiscing, nostalgia, that kind of thing), but you couldn't deliberate about the old days, because you're not trying to answer a question or solve a problem or come to a conclusion. (You could also consider or ponder the old days.)

ReputationRep:
    hach...
    sometimes I´m soooo discouraged...
    (even looking up "entmutigt" LEO shows thousand of words and I don´t know which to choose :/..)
    I mean I love the language, I listen to Englishspoken (?) radio everytime, I watch movies in English, I read books in English, I want to study in English if possible.... sometimes I think I´m quite good at it but then I notice that I didn´t even notice the spread of the language... I will never be as good as a native speaker... there are SO many vocabularies I don´t know, I accumulate them under "favourites" in my pc so that I won´t forget them.. then I put it in the voc.-program (leo says "to feed sth. in the computer?!) but I´m getting more and more mad/insane !!

edit: @generalebriety: thanks for your explanations

ReputationRep:
    hach...
    (even looking up "entmutigt" LEO shows thousand of words and I don´t know which to choose :/..)
    I mean I love the language, I listen to Englishspoken (?) radio everytime, I watch movies in English, I read books in English, I want to study in English if possible.... sometimes I think I´m quite good at it but then I notice that I didn´t even notice the spread of the language... I will never be as good as a native speaker... there are SO many vocabularies I don´t know, I accumulate them under "favourites" in my pc so that I won´t forget them.. then I put it in the voc.-program (leo says "to feed sth. in the computer?!) but I´m getting more and more mad/insane !!

I deeply feel your pain. I feel the same way, but as a native English speaker wanting desperately to learn more German and get better.
    I really understand your frustration - if you want, feel free to get in touch with me and we could both help each other.

And FYI, your English is far better than my German.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    hach...

Don't give up. You won't learn vocab by listening to the radio, watching movies, reading books, and so on. These are all 'passive' skills - you need to be active in your learning. You have to use the words, or you won't remember them. You will make mistakes. Everyone does. Just accept this as a natural part of language learning. The more mistakes you make, the quicker you can correct them.

(Yes, you can say "feed sth. into the computer"... it's not common.)

ReputationRep:
    hmmmmmm...(gosh, I don´t even know the exact difference between "going to" and "will" although I´ve learnt it in year 5 or something...:mad: ) I will go to Australia for a gap-year to improve and to enhance (edit: i´m talking so much bull****... um sie zu verbessern und zu verbessern ) my speaking competences...
    But it´s so depressing, I look some words up and want to use them but when it depends on (darauf ankommt? i always thought about depend in the context of independent etc. ) I have forgotten them and I haven´t incorporate them in my language!! :mad: I really want to improve but it´s not going fast enough for my taste...sometimes i think I even regress.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    hmmmmmm...(gosh, I don´t even know the exact difference between "going to" and "will" although I´ve learnt it in year 5 or something...:mad: ) I will go to Australia for a gap-year to improve and to enhance (edit: i´m talking so much bull****... um sie zu verbessern und zu verbessern ) my speaking competences...
    But it´s so depressing, I look some words up and want to use them but when it depends on (darauf ankommt? i always thought about depend in the context of independent etc. ) I have forgotten them and I haven´t incorporate them in my language!! :mad: I really want to improve but it´s not going fast enough for my taste...sometimes i think I even regress.
    http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/dings.cgi...=self&comment=

(Personally, I'd say "when it comes down to it". I'm not sure how to express it non-idiomatically.)

I'm sure you're not regressing. You just need more practice at speaking the language than you're getting. A gap year in Australia sounds like a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, you´re really nice... but it is depressing.. however... at the time of my death I want to speak English like a native speaker. :P looks like a looot of work.
    but then sometimes I look at German and how people use it, how I by myself(?) use it, with strange neologisms and words nobody need so it wouldn´t matter if I didn´t learn them!! but in a second-language you always think it´s an important/common word... and I don´t understand some difficult texts in German but when they´re written in English I always think it´s my fault and my deficit...grr. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Could somebody translate this for me? I saw it on a German poster and can't make sense of it and it's bugging me.

"WER WILL DASS
    DIE WELT SO BLEIBT
    WIE SIE IST
    DER WILL
    NICHT
    DASS SIE BLEIBT"

... "Who wants the world to remain as it is, he doesn't want it to remain?"!?!? Help?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by kjc_us)
    Could somebody translate this for me? I saw it on a German poster and can't make sense of it and it's bugging me.

"WER WILL DASS
    DIE WELT SO BLEIBT
    WIE SIE IST
    DER WILL
    NICHT
    DASS SIE BLEIBT"

... "Whoever wants the world to remain as it is , he doesn't want it to remain?"!?!? Help?
    ^ That.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I had to think about it a few minutes, too..
    It means that somebody who wants the world to remain at the level where it is, does not want the world to exist anymore.
    bleiben means to persist, to stay at one level and on the other hand to be there, to exist.. omg, that was so bad english but i hope you understood it

edit: ok, i saw you already did

edit2: and if anybody´s bored he can correct my last posts ..=))
    I just can't get enough of that improvements

ReputationRep:
    Well it sounds like it could be about global warming or something so yeah you're wirght, whoever wants to the world to remain as it it, doesn't want the world to remain. Just the final meaning of remain is more exist than stay.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2013

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.