The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Fleece
"to tap" is right in this instance I'd say.

I just wasn't sure, my English isn't really up to the level of most people, the further North you travel, the more like cavemen we become...
Reply 2461
I Wanna Be Adored
I just wasn't sure, my English isn't really up to the level of most people, the further North you travel, the more like cavemen we become...

[irony]oi, tha berrer tek that back, not r8 tha seyin furver up Norf u gu, worse we speak! I speak proper r8 gud an I'm frum Sheffield[/irony]
Reply 2462
wtid
[irony]oi, tha berrer tek that back, not r8 tha seyin furver up Norf u gu, worse we speak! I speak proper r8 gud an I'm frum Sheffield[/irony]

Hahah love it.
Reply 2463
How would you say "Do not bend" like you put on envelopes, in German?
wtid
How would you say "Do not bend" like you put on envelopes, in German?

hi, you´d say: bitte nicht knicken or bitte nicht falten
Reply 2465
grizzlybär
hi, you´d say: bitte nicht knicken or bitte nicht falten

I´m happy I could help.Mostly I´m too slowly, thanks to my`two-fingers-search-system
Reply 2467
Hey all, wondered if anyone could help me a bit with ideas,

I'm writing my German coursework and the title is:
'To what extent are politics the main reason for the current xenophobic climate in Germany'

I am thinking of making the section structure; Introduction, Agree, Disagree, Conclusion.

My plans are:

INTRO: here I will introduce my points and explain that one must not generalise and that Germany is not completely xenophobic etc etc, maybe talk about the difference between small town Germany and large town Germany and east and west. Maybe give some figures about immigrant population or something too.

AGREE:

- GERMAN POLITICAL HISTORY: Obviously Nazism but maybe also talk about Imperial Germany and how xenophobic attitudes can become ingrained in people's social attitudes.

- POLITICO-ECONOMIC factors: Economics drives politics and Germany after the war, had the 'guestworkers' and I can maybe talk about how the natives felt superior to these guestworkers, who now make up a large part of the immigrant population.

- CURRENT POLITICAL CONTEXT: Koch/Racist and Far Right groups are spreading attitudes of xenophobia.

DISAGREE:

- PATRIOTISM/NATIONAL PRIDE: it can be a platform for xenophobic attitudes to spread, it has something of a link to politics.

- CULTURAL ISSUES: German culture is one that is dominated by the anglo-saxon and it is difficult to accept alternatives. Also here talk about the media i.e. how few foreigners are on television programmes etc and this allows for this culture to continue.

- SOCIAL ISSUES: the skirmishes between foreigners and whites/racist attacks, all over news, sub-consciously adds to divide.

CONCLUSION: Politics are certainly important in the creating a foundation of xenophobic ideologies but other factors are also crucial.

Can any one add to this plan, or offer suggestions, everything is welcome.
Reply 2468
Hey all, it's me again! :rolleyes:

Thanks so much for your previous help generalebriety (sorry, I'm useless and have forgotten your name - Billy rings a bell?) and gembarla (sorry I don't know your name! :p:) :smile:

I'm trying to say "When the police catch someone in the process of stealing a mug..."

So I'm looking for the sort of German equivilent to "en train de..." in French.

I've found:
- in etw. begriffen,
- im Verlauf (+Genitiv).

I don't really understand how I'd use the first option, but if I wanted to use the second option, would I use "stealing" as a noun? So it'd be "in the process of the theft of a mug?"

... "Wenn die Polizei jemand im Verlauf des Diebstahls eines Maßkrugs fängt..." ??? :ninja:

:vroam:
Hi, the first option is: "in Begriff sein, etwas zu tun" . In your context, you could say:
Er war in Begriff einen Bierkrug zu stehlen, als die Polizei ihn stellte.
But what is the rest of your sentence, maybe there is a better way to say it.

yes, " im Verlauf" requires a noun
Reply 2470
^ in Begriff! Ahhhh I remember that phrase! I've been driving myself mad trying to think of that all afternoon, thanks! :biggrin:

The sentence is, "If the police catch someone stealing a mug, the thief can be fined up to 50 Euros."
Ähm I would translate this to: Wird man von der Polizei beim Stehlen eines Bierkruges erwischt, kann das mit, bis zu 50 Euro Strafe, geahndet werden. But I´m not sure about the commas."..kann das mit bis zu.." sounds a bit weird, even weirder the more often I read it
grizzlybär
beim Stehlen eines Bierkruges

That sounds pretty much how I'd have translated it.
Reply 2473
Does no one have any ideas to help me then :frown:
Shane-O
Does no one have any ideas to help me then :frown:

I'd like to help you, but most of us here are just learning the language... I've never done German coursework, and I'm not that well versed in your chosen topic either. :s-smilie: Sorry. You might want to try posting in the main foreign languages forum.
hallo. kann ich spreche hier auch? oder muss ich ein Mitgleid sein, wie die andere Gruppe?
SpiritedAway
hallo. kann ich spreche hier auch? oder muss ich ein Mitgleid sein, wie die andere Gruppe?

Nein, du darfst hier sprechen, ohne Mitglied zu sein. :smile: Lernst du Deutsch in der Schule?
Reply 2477
SpiritedAway

Wilkommen! :smile: Natuerlich kannst du hier schrieben!
Reply 2478
grizzlybär
Ähm I would translate this to: Wird man von der Polizei beim Stehlen eines Bierkruges erwischt, kann das mit, bis zu 50 Euro Strafe, geahndet werden. But I´m not sure about the commas."..kann das mit bis zu.." sounds a bit weird, even weirder the more often I read it

Thanks. :smile:

I owe you, generalebriety and gembarla reps. :smile:
kjc_us
Thanks. :smile:

I owe you, generalebriety and gembarla reps. :smile:

Incidentally, I'd say it without the commas. I'm not sure why... instinct, I guess. There's no verb between them, so it's not a clause, so there's no commas needed.

Latest

Trending

Trending