Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, I see now! Thank you so much for explaining, generalebriety! ^__^
    As for "sich versprechen", yes, I meant "to misspeak" (because I do at times lol.XD).
    The "n" thing always confuses me, I think it's mianly because of "büchern", looks a bit odd.^^;; But glad to finally know how it works!^___^

I am now finding German much more fascinating than before [I love the language now. ]! =D Thanks again!
    \\^___^//
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Nimbus)
    Oh wow, I see now! Thank you so much for explaining, generalebriety! ^__^
    As for "sich versprechen", yes, I meant "to misspeak" (because I do at times lol.XD).
    The "n" thing always confuses me, I think it's mianly because of "büchern", looks a bit odd.^^;; But glad to finally know how it works!^___^

I am now finding German much more fascinating than before [I love the language now. ]! =D Thanks again!
    \\^___^//
    "Büchern" sieht vielleicht auf den ersten Blick komisch aus, aber man wird es bald gewohnt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    "Büchern" sieht vielleicht auf den ersten Blick komisch aus, aber man wird es bald gewohnt.
    Ja! ^__^. Hoffentlich werde ich mich an es gewohnen. [<--totally guessing here.XD]
    Vielen Dank!. =D
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    "Heit"/"keit" are determined by the sounds in front of them. You'd normally use "keit" after an -ich or an -ig (which sound identical in most parts of Germany), because "Freundlichhhheit" would sound stupid. There are exceptions, but this is a good general rule. Also, I may be making this up, but I think "heit"/"keit" turns adjectives into nouns and "ung" turns verbs into nouns... but I'm open to correction on that one.
    You do say "Frechheit", "Schwachheit" and "Gleichheit", though...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    "Büchern" sieht vielleicht auf den ersten Blick komisch aus, aber man gewöhnt sich bald daran.
    This is a bit tricky, actually: "etwas gewohnt sein" / "gewohnt sein etwas zu tun" means "to be used to" (as does "an etwas gewöhnt sein" / "daran gewöhnt sein etwas zu tun"), but "to get used to" is "sich an etwas gewöhnen".
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Ja! ^__^. Hoffentlich werde ich mich an es gewohnen. [<--totally guessing here.XD]
    Vielen Dank!. =D
    "Daran". And don't forget the umlaut in "gewöhnen".
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by hobnob)
    You do say "Frechheit", "Schwachheit" and "Gleichheit", though...
    ...none of which ends in an -ich sound.

This is a bit tricky, actually: "etwas gewohnt sein" / "gewohnt sein etwas zu tun" means "to be used to" (as does "an etwas gewöhnt sein" / "daran gewöhnt sein etwas zu tun"), but "to get used to" is "sich an etwas gewöhnen".
    You can also say "ich bin das gewohnt", though, can't you? So surely "ich werde das gewohnt" would make sense? I admit, I've never heard it, and I'm not sure why I didn't choose your alternative. :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    ...none of which ends in an -ich sound.
    "Gleichheit" does, strictly speaking. During the second part of the diphthong, the tongue is exactly in the same position, and it's the same ch-sound.
    You can also say "ich bin das gewohnt", though, can't you?
    No. You hear it occasionally, but that's just people getting mixed up between "gewöhnt" and "gewohnt". It isn't actually grammatically correct.
    So surely "ich werde das gewohnt" would make sense? I admit, I've never heard it, and I'm not sure why I didn't choose your alternative. :p:
    No, it wouldn't. Sorry. "Gewohnt" only works for the state of being used to something, but for the act (or process, if you wish) of getting used to something, you need "sich gewöhnen".
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    "Gleichheit" does, strictly speaking. During the second part of the diphthong, the tongue is exactly in the same position, and it's the same ch-sound.
    Mmm, I was being slightly facetious. :p: That said, I've always seen "Frechheit" as an exception, I've never heard "Gleichheit", and the sound in "Schwachheit" isn't the same. So... *shrugs* :p:

No. You hear it occasionally, but that's just people getting mixed up between "gewöhnt" and "gewohnt". It isn't actually grammatically correct.
    Eek, really? I've always thought it was perfectly legitimate, if a bit grammatically screwed up. And, in fact, having checked in the Langenscheidt dictionary and my big Collins one, they both accept it - the former gives the examples "Ich bin (es) gewohnt, spät ins Bett zu gehen" and "Er war schwere körperliche Arbeit nicht gewohnt".

So, can you only "gewohnt sein" an action, and not an object? And for an object you'd use "an etwas gewöhnt sein"?

No, it wouldn't. Sorry. "Gewohnt" only works for the state of being used to something, but for the act (or process, if you wish) of getting used to something, you need "sich gewöhnen".
    Ahh, ok. Thanks.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Mmm, I was being slightly facetious. :p: That said, I've always seen "Frechheit" as an exception, I've never heard "Gleichheit", and the sound in "Schwachheit" isn't the same. So... *shrugs* :p:
    Really? You never heard "Freiheit, Gleichheit, Brüderlichkeit"? Anyway, I think it might have something to do with the syllable "-lich" - or at least I can't come up with any exceptions there off the top of my head.

So, can you only "gewohnt sein" an action, and not an object? And for an object you'd use "an etwas gewöhnt sein"?
    That's what I was taught in third grade, anyway.:dontknow: Abstract concepts are an exception, though, I think, so "ich bin Kummer gewohnt" should be OK.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Really? You never heard "Freiheit, Gleichheit, Brüderlichkeit"?
    Only in French. :p:

Anyway, I think it might have something to do with the syllable "-lich" - or at least I can't come up with any exceptions there off the top of my head.
    Yeah, you're probably right.

That's what I was taught in third grade, anyway.:dontknow: Abstract concepts are an exception, though, I think, so "ich bin Kummer gewohnt" should be OK.
    Hmm, alright. Thanks anyway.

ReputationRep:
    If I messaged someone what I've written so far for my German oral, would anyone be willing to check it through and get it back to me today/first thing tomorrow morning? I'd be ever so grateful, because I feel like absolutely none of it makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    Hi kjc_us,

go ahead and I'll see what I can do.

ReputationRep:
    Woah...words.. @[email protected]
    I must note down some of these things. *scribbles*

And cool, hobnob! Your name became purple again(somehow, Ididn't realise that)! ^__^

Hmm, "daran", oh wait, is it something like "an das.."? Like the way "dafür" is like "für das"?
    [Yes, I don't really know what these little words really are, like dran. *starts to learn them*].
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Woah...words.. @[email protected]
    I must note down some of these things. *scribbles*

And cool, hobnob! Your name became purple again(somehow, Ididn't realise that)! ^__^

Hmm, "daran", oh wait, is it something like "an das.."? Like the way "dafür" is like "für das"?
    [Yes, I don't really know what these little words really are, like dran. *starts to learn them*].
    Exactly. Dafür, damit, daran, dabei, darunter, darüber, darauf, etc. No "*darohne", though.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. Dafür, damit, daran, dabei, darunter, darüber, darauf, etc. No "*darohne", though.
    Woah? :eek: No way!!
    Cool! And I always thought they were somekind of "supernatural" German words!
    This is quite freaky for me. 0__0
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Woah? :eek: No way!!
    Cool! And I always thought they were somekind of "supernatural" German words!
    This is quite freaky for me. 0__0
    :rofl:

I don't know what you mean by that but I'm happy you're happy.

ReputationRep:
    well, I wanted to ask "have I asked to join the society" by saying "habe ich eintreten die Gesellschaft gefragt but Friederike says that's totally wrong and the construction she said is correct, I would never have used, so I'll just ask in English

Have I requested to join, because I'm still not a member
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by wtid)
    well, I wanted to ask "have I asked to join the society" by saying "habe ich eintreten die Gesellschaft gefragt but Friederike says that's totally wrong and the construction she said is correct, I would never have used, so I'll just ask in English

Have I requested to join, because I'm still not a member
    No, you haven't.

ReputationRep:
    Danke, grizzlybar.

I'm back to school tomorrow. So I guess I won't see you all for a good few months!

Anyone taking exams, hope they go well.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2013

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.