The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

hobnob
Well, I'm German too, and I say it's wrong... The only context in which "Mittagessens" would be correct is if it's used as a genitive (i.e. "anstelle eines Mittagessens" etc.).

Oh, oo and apparently, in German now..all the teenagers are using wrong German?..like on the streets because its "cool"...that true? lol
Cus' if it is, ill learn some :biggrin:
Reply 2981
jakemittle
Oh, oo and apparently, in German now..all the teenagers are using wrong German?..like on the streets because its "cool"...that true? lol

Erm, well, I'm probably the wrong person to ask about that.:wink:
Reply 2982
jakemittle

I wouldnt say because it's "cool" - if you're talking about the dative replacing the genitive. It's just one of those things...
jakemittle

Yes, Germans do it too, kinda equivalent to enlgish ppl speekin lyk dis... unless of course you mean what Fleece said, in which case it was a standard German mistake which turned into a colloquialism and then into an accepted regional variant. But don't learn wrong German. Foreigners always sound like idiots when they try to be 'cool', no matter how normal it sounds coming from natives.
lol, well apparently, like a lot of the Turkish people on the streets, the ones that sell the kebab, the just pick up words and pharses on the street..but they mix it up?..so grammatically maybe it sounds wrong..like "ich bin gut"..but then maybe it sounds cool haha, so they use it?..but is it true though?
generalebriety
Yes, Germans do it too, kinda equivalent to enlgish ppl speekin lyk dis... unless of course you mean what Fleece said, in which case it was a standard German mistake which turned into a colloquialism and then into an accepted regional variant. But don't learn wrong German. Foreigners always sound like idiots when they try to be 'cool', no matter how normal it sounds coming from natives.

Yeah, I know what you mean..
Like I made up "was gut homie" to my friend and he laughed..
jakemittle
lol, well apparently, like a lot of the Turkish people on the streets, the ones that sell the kebab, the just pick up words and pharses on the street..but they mix it up?..so grammatically maybe it sounds wrong..like "ich bin gut"..but then maybe it sounds cool haha, so they use it?..but is it true though?

Probably, but I don't think it's anything to do with sounding cool, it's probably just that they can't speak German.

jakemittle
Yeah, I know what you mean..
Like I made up "was gut homie" to my friend and he laughed..

Right. :s-smilie:
Reply 2987
generalebriety
Probably, but I don't think it's anything to do with sounding cool, it's probably just that they can't speak German.

Yes and no. Turkish teenagers often have their own lingo even if they were born in Germany and probably could speak "proper" German if they really wanted to. I suppose it's what you might call a sociolect.
hobnob
Yes and no. Turkish teenagers often have their own lingo even if they were born in Germany and probably could speak "proper" German if they really wanted to. I suppose it's what you might call a sociolect.

How many of them are there, though?

If you're a 1% minority amongst Turks in Germany, there's no point speaking proper German to other Turks when you'll sound like you're speaking wrongly. I suppose in that respect it is a sociolect, but not a deliberately enforced one, as the previous poster seemed to be suggesting.
Reply 2989
generalebriety
How many of them are there, though?

If you're a 1% minority amongst Turks in Germany, there's no point speaking proper German to other Turks when you'll sound like you're speaking wrongly. I suppose in that respect it is a sociolect, but not a deliberately enforced one, as the previous poster seemed to be suggesting.

Oh I think it is deliberate. They pick it up from hip hop artists like Sido and want to be cool so speak like them. The same as black communities in England speaking like "yo blud, was gwanin" etc. They can speak English perfectly well, they just don't because UK garage/hip-hip artists speak like that and they want to be like them.
wtid
Oh I think it is deliberate. They pick it up from hip hop artists like Sido and want to be cool so speak like them. The same as black communities in England speaking like "yo blud, was gwanin" etc. They can speak English perfectly well, they just don't because UK garage/hip-hip artists speak like that and they want to be like them.

Maybe on some level, but I refuse to believe it's as simple as "they want to be cool"...
Reply 2991
generalebriety
Maybe on some level, but I refuse to believe it's as simple as "they want to be cool"...

Really? I'll go out later and do a survey if you'd like :p:

No but seriously, if everyone around you speaks a certain way, you tend to change how you speak to fit in. If I'm talking to my friends I'll speak in slang but to my parents or someone else of importance I speak properly. It's just about fitting in and not looking silly I guess. If a black youth from a Bow council estate (I know I'm generalising here and not all black people from Bow are like this) started speaking to his friends in RP, he would get laughed at by his friends, so he speaks the same as them to fit in. Speaking differently is not cool, therefore speaking the same, is cool.

That's how I see it anyway.
wtid
Really? I'll go out later and do a survey if you'd like :p:

No but seriously, if everyone around you speaks a certain way, you tend to change how you speak to fit in. If I'm talking to my friends I'll speak in slang but to my parents or someone else of importance I speak properly. It's just about fitting in and not looking silly I guess. If a black youth from a Bow council estate (I know I'm generalising here and not all black people from Bow are like this) started speaking to his friends in RP, he would get laughed at by his friends, so he speaks the same as them to fit in. Speaking differently is not cool, therefore speaking the same, is cool.

That's how I see it anyway.

Pff. :p: I still refuse to accept it's as simple as "I want to be cool". Sorry.
Koenntest jemand mit mir bitte reden? Ich habe eine sprachliche Pruefung am morgen (ueber Hoeruebungen und Kurzgeschichten, die wir dieses Semester gemacht haben.) und muss ueben. Einige meiner Freunde machen auch Franzoesisch aber ihre Pruefungen sind am Donnerstag, daher habe ich niemand mit denen ich sprechen kann.
Reply 2994
hannah_dru
Koenntest jemand mit mir bitte reden? Ich habe eine sprachliche Pruefung am morgen (ueber Hoeruebungen und Kurzgeschichten, die wir dieses Semester gemacht haben.) und muss ueben. Einige meiner Freunde machen auch Franzoesisch aber ihre Pruefungen sind am Donnerstag, daher habe ich niemand mit denen ich sprechen kann.

Klar.:smile: Worüber möchtest du denn reden?
Vielen Dank! Macht nichts- will nur ueben. Vielleicht koennte ich diese Geschichte erklaeren...
Reply 2996
hannah_dru
Vielen Dank! Macht nichts- will nur ueben. Vielleicht koennte ich diese Geschichte erklaeren...

Was für eine Geschichte ist es denn? Irgendwas das ich kenne?:biggrin:
Ich habe 5 Kurzgeschichten lesen muessen und dann eine Lesetagebuch machen. Ich habe "Anekdote zur Senkung der Arbeitsmoral", (Heinrich Boell) "Die Kuchenuhr", (Wolfgang Borchert) "Das schoene warme Wir-Gefuehl", (Jana Hensel) "Lobsigers Schicksal Abend" (Martin Suter) und "H & M" (Benjamin von Stuckrrad-Barre) gelesen.
Reply 2998
hannah_dru
Ich habe 5 Kurzgeschichten lesen muessen und dann eine Lesetagebuch machen. Ich habe "Anekdote zur Senkung der Arbeitsmoral", (Heinrich Boell) "Die Kuchenuhr", (Wolfgang Borchert) "Das schoene warme Wir-Gefuehl", (Jana Hensel) "Lobsigers Schicksal Abend" (Martin Suter) und "H & M" (Benjamin von Stuckrrad-Barre) gelesen.

Davon kenne ich ehrlich gesagt nur zwei - die Böll- und die Borchert-Geschichte (die eine hat mir ganz gut gefallen, die andere fand ich ziemlich gräßlich).:redface:

Welche fandest du denn am besten? Und wieso?
hobnob
Davon kenne ich ehrlich gesagt nur zwei - die Böll- und die Borchert-Geschichte (die eine hat mir ganz gut gefallen, die andere fand ich ziemlich gräßlich).:redface:

Welche fandest du denn am besten? Und wieso?

:confused:?

Is this an irregular form? I'd expect "fandst"...

Latest

Trending

Trending