Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    i didn't rely have any sentence in mind. i was just going over some basic grammar rules and realised that it didn't mention this.

so would it be if i started to use another word which generally changes word order in a sentence when the sentence has already been changed, then the first one is cancelled out. in this case the verb-to-the-end caused by 'weil' is cancelled out by the verb-comes-second rule following 'jetzt'?
    I honestly don't know what construction you're trying to use. Please make up a sentence or something and we can help you with it more directly! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    I honestly don't know what construction you're trying to use. Please make up a sentence or something and we can help you with it more directly! :p:
    hmmmmmmm

okay, i found this in one of my past essays...totally stumped for ideas :P

The guestworkers went to Germany mostly from Poland and Turkey, because they wanted to earn money before they went back, now less guestworkers want to go back.

so this has got both 'weil' and it'll have 'heutzutage' in, both which should change the syntax.

So would it be:

Die Gastarbeiter nach Deutschland aus Polen und der Tu:rkei gefahren, weil sie Geld vor sie zuru:kkehren verdinien mo:chten, heutzutage mo:chte weniger Gastarbeiter zuru:kkehren.

i think my verb forms are wrong there...and my grammar
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    hmmmmmmm

okay, i found this in one of my past essays...totally stumped for ideas :P

The guestworkers went to Germany mostly from Poland and Turkey, because they wanted to earn money before they went back, now less guestworkers want to go back.

so this has got both 'weil' and it'll have 'heutzutage' in, both which should change the syntax.

So would it be:

Die Gastarbeiter nach Deutschland aus Polen und der Tu:rkei gefahren, weil sie Geld vor sie zuru:kkehren verdinien mo:chten, heutzutage mo:chte weniger Gastarbeiter zuru:kkehren.

i think my verb forms are wrong there...and my grammar
    That's a problem with your English, not your German. There should be a full stop between 'back' and 'now', which simplifies matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    That's a problem with your English, not your German. There should be a full stop between 'back' and 'now', which simplifies matters.
    oh i know that but i struggled to find an example

ReputationRep:
    Hallo,
    wissen jemand etwas uber die Landschaft des Berlin, weil ich ein Aufsatz schreiben muss.
    xx
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    oh i know that but i struggled to find an example
    Well... I think my point was that if you can't find an example, it's probably not an issue! If you come up with something, let us know... I mean, hobnob's advice is probably valid for what you meant, but just in case you meant something else, it's worth checking.

ReputationRep:
    Had my last german lesson today Much sadness here! My german teacher rocked. *Sigh* Anyways! German oral on Thursday, argh! I know my introduction and most of the vocab but I've suddenly over the few weeks become very paranoid about not knowing issues and opinions. I'm finding it really hard to just relax about it this time around!

ReputationRep:
    Woohoo! Wir gehen* nach Indien in 2 Stunden! Bis 2 Wochen!

*Billy I seem to remember you telling me ages ago that it should be "fahren" but I brought this up with her the other day as her mum had said "ich gehe zu Hannover" and I said surely it should be fahren, since she was going by train. She says that fahren is only used for driving, but any other time she would use "gehen", so I don't know.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by wtid)
    Woohoo! Wir gehen* nach Indien in 2 Stunden! Bis 2 Wochen!

*Billy I seem to remember you telling me ages ago that it should be "fahren" but I brought this up with her the other day as her mum had said "ich gehe zu Hannover" and I said surely it should be fahren, since she was going by train. She says that fahren is only used for driving, but any other time she would use "gehen", so I don't know.
    I have indeed heard 'gehen' used with travelling short distances before, but I don't know whether it's technically right. You'll have to ask hobnob or someone - I still think you should use 'fahren' in your sentence, and while I think you should trust a native German speaker with everything they say, I'm fairly sure 'fahre' would've been ok too - 'to go by train' is definitely 'mit dem Zug fahren'.

Aside from both their meanings of 'to go', 'gehen' and 'fahren' can mean the slightly stronger 'to walk' and 'to drive' as well. So I guess it's just that she was travelling a short distance to somewhere she goes often and she wasn't driving. I'm almost certain 'fahren' would've been fine.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hmm, for what it's worth, I wouldn't use "ich gehe" in that context. But obviously even native speakers don't always agree on such things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    "Ein", because it's "das Glas".
    Ya, ich weiss!
    But...i heard that when you have "Nehmen or Tricken etc"...then it goes from "ein" to "einen"...like einen Tee..or something like that *even though Tee is neutral?"
    Is this right?..or am I just confusing myself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    Ya, ich weiss!
    But...i heard that when you have "Nehmen or Tricken etc"...then it goes from "ein" to "einen"...like einen Tee..or something like that *even though Tee is neutral?"
    Yeah dont worry, I just mixed das up with der!
    Sorry about that..
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    Ya, ich weiss!
    As I think you've worked out by now - Tee isn't neuter, it's masculine.

ReputationRep:
    Hallo Allerseits! ^0^
    Wie geht's euch? \\^___^//
    Mir ist aufgefallen, dass ich nicht hier für eine lange Seit besucht habe! =0!
    Ich frage mich wie, weil hier viel abhängig machend ist! [I am trying to say this place is addictive, does this make sense? o_O?]
    Und ah nein, ich kann empfinden, dass mein Deutsch verschärfend ist! Als ob ich bedenkliche Fortschritte machen brauchte!
    Es tut mir leid, wenn ich zu viel Fehler mache! X__X!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Which one of these sentences would be correct?

Wenn ich diese Pruefung bestehen kann, werde ich gluecklich sein.

or

Wenn ich diese Pruefung bestehen koennte, waere ich gluecklich.

or

are both sentences wrong in which case could some give me a pointer as to what i should be saying.

thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by JohnnyD)
    Hi,

Which one of these sentences would be correct?

Wenn ich diese Pruefung bestehen kann, werde ich gluecklich sein.

or

Wenn ich diese Pruefung bestehen koennte, waere ich gluecklich.

or

are both sentences wrong in which case could some give me a pointer as to what i should be saying.

thanks
    Hmm, they're both not exactly wrong, but they don't sound quite right to me either. I'd probably say "Ich bin glücklich, wenn ich diese Prüfung bestehe" or "Ich wäre glücklich, wenn ich diese Prüfung bestehen würde".

ReputationRep:
    ich habe meine preufung am Montag morgens - argh!!!

how would you phrase the question "How does new media use adverts" or "in what ways does the internet use adverts" or something along those lines?? I thought it might be "Inwiefern benutzt die neuen Medien Werbungen"

i have just realised that my teacher never corrected my presentation questions so im slightly panicking. Do the following sentences make sense?? roughly??

Das Internet wird heutzutage nicht nur als Informationmedien benutzt, sondern auch fuer spielen, Chatrooms und e-mails schicken.

... wegen dieses sind sie viele effektiv und erfolgreich (not sure whether the "sind" is in the right place)

viel danke!! =]
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by 02k7)
    ich habe meine preufung am Montag morgens - argh!!!

how would you phrase the question "How does new media use adverts" or "in what ways does the internet use adverts" or something along those lines?? I thought it might be "Inwiefern benutzt die neuen Medien Werbungen"
    "Benutzen". "Die neuen Medien" is a plural. "Werbung" should be a singular, though. I'd say the sentence works, although personally I'd prefer "einsetzen" (i.e. "wie setzen die neuen Medien Werbung ein?")
    Das Internet wird heutzutage nicht nur als Informationmedien benutzt, sondern auch fuer spielen, Chatrooms und e-mails schicken.
    "Informationsmedium".
    The last bit doesn't really work; you need a verb to go with "Chatrooms". I'd suggest "... sondern auch um zu spielen, Chatrooms zu besuchen und e-mails zu schicken".
    ... wegen dieses sind sie viele effektiv und erfolgreich (not sure whether the "sind" is in the right place)
    Erm, no, that won't work. What you probably meant was "... deswegen sind sie sehr wirksam und erfolgreich".
    viel danke!! =]
    "Vielen Dank"

ReputationRep:
    thanks!! i have so much to correct... like a whole years worth not looking forward to this exam

ReputationRep:
    another sentence i'm not sure about... trying to say "the use of it is growing" although there's probably a better way of saying it in English - i wrote "die Benutzung davon immer waechst" but that doesn't look right

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2013

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.