The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

SpiritedAway
does 'also', 'wenn', 'auch' and 'aber' change the word order?

Also doesn't when it's weak ("also, nächste Woche gehen wir ins Kino..."), but does when it's strong ("ich konnte meine Hausaufgaben nicht machen, also fühle ich mich jetzt ziemlich dumm"). Wenn sends the verb to the end. Auch acts as an adverb ("ich habe ihn auch gesehen"). Aber does nothing.

Nimbus
1) You know in English you have adverbs like "even" (eg: even I can't believe it), and "just" (I just can't believe it).
In German, they seem to be eben and gerade. However, them seem to be like those words like "by" (which is expressed differently in different situations). So, how do I learn them? Do I learn just learn their forms in different situations?

Yes. (I don't think 'eben' ever means 'even'; 'gerade' is 'just' as in 'just now', 'just a second ago'.)

Nimbus
2)according to an old German grammar book, it says something like "In a subordinate clase, when there are two or more infinitive, the finite auxiliary verb normally precedes them, so like:
"...das er hatte drucken lassen."
is that correct?
Well, I have tried subordinate clauses before with many infinitives but I have always put the auxiliary/conjugated verb to the end and my teacher haven't marked them wrongg, but did underline them sometimes (?).

Yeah, the example is right, though I wouldn't be surprised if "das er drucken lassen hatte" was heard in conversation.

Nimbus
3)I realised so many sentences which the infinitive has a "zu" in the front use "brauchen", is it like a "magiacl" word which results a "zu" preceding the infinitive? o__O? Sorry if ithis sounds weird, just a thought! ^^;;;

Brauchen isn't a modal verb (e.g. kann, muss, soll, darf), so takes a 'zu'. All verbs that aren't modal verbs but take an extra clause as their complement need a 'zu'.

Nimbus
4)I remember someone pointed out that "laut" requires dative case after it but my teacher says it requires genitive case (is it just an archaic use since my German teacher is quite old..^^;;:wink:.

I'd say it needed dative...

Nimbus
5)What exactly is "dran"? ^^;;; I am really confused..@__@, is it one of those little words which can mean anything depending on the context again?

Dran = daran = "an das".
Hi,
I've been to (at?) the dentist today, always a terrifying experience. It didn't help that the guy was actually a nice person. But worst of all I have another appointment. I'm really looking forward to it. It's two o'clock in the morning, I'm not tired at all and I'm bored so I googled around a bit and found something very gruselig:

"... jeder muss im job permanently seine intangible assets mit high risk neu
relaunchen und seine skills so posten, dass die benefits alle ratings sprengen, damit
der cash-flow stimmt. Wichtig ist corporate- identity, die mit perfect customizing
und eye catchern jedes Jahr geupgedatet wird!"
Zitat Hilmar Kopper ehemaliger Vorstandssprecher der Deutschen Bank

I recently rediscovered my old records I still love Simon and Garfunkel and quite often listen to Creedence Clearwater Revival. Does anybody know Klaus Nomi?
What kind of music are you listening to
grizzlybär
I've been to (at?) the dentist today
Both. "To be" in the past tense has this weird meaning of "to go", so you can say "I've been to the dentist today" ("ich bin heute zum Zahnarzt gegangen") or "I've been at the dentist today" ("ich war heute beim Zahnarzt"). Slightly better is "dentist's", in both cases - "dentist" sounds too much like the person, whereas "dentist's" is short for "dentist's surgery", the place.

grizzlybär
"... jeder muss im job permanently seine intangible assets mit high risk neu
relaunchen und seine skills so posten, dass die benefits alle ratings sprengen, damit
der cash-flow stimmt. Wichtig ist corporate- identity, die mit perfect customizing
und eye catchern jedes Jahr geupgedatet wird!"
Zitat Hilmar Kopper ehemaliger Vorstandssprecher der Deutschen Bank
That's horrible. :s-smilie:

I listen to any music I feel like listening to at the time... currently listening to Neutral Milk Hotel.
currently listening to Neutral Milk Hotel. I've never heard of them I will google tomorrow
what kind of music are they playing? You are right I also listen to any music I feel like listening to and most of the time I don't even know who sings or what's the title.
I guess my neighbourhood is really delighted sometimes, especially when I turn up the volume thus I would not hear the vaccumcleaner any more. Oha hier ist bestimmt was falsch. Don't you have to go studying tomorrow?
grizzlybär
currently listening to Neutral Milk Hotel. I've never heard of them I will google tomorrow
what kind of music are they playing? You are right I also listen to any music I feel like listening to and most of the time I don't even know who sings or what's the title.
I guess my neighbourhood is really delighted sometimes, especially when I turn up the volume thus I would not hear the vaccumcleaner any more. Oha hier ist bestimmt was falsch. Don't you have to go studying tomorrow?

I'm not sure how to describe their music; it's a rather obscure taste (though several of my friends seem to like them). I'm also quite poor at recognising artists or bands.

What do you mean, your neighbourhood is delighted? :s-smilie: Yes, I have a lecture at 10 - should go, really...
I feel the need to explain: I hate doing my housework but unfortunately it has to be done every now and then and 'es geht besser von der Hand'(?) with music.

I'm a night person, eine Nachteule wie man hier sagt and I love to go for a walk in the early morning hours at least at this time of the year. I live near by the forrest and it's amazing every time to listen to the awakening day.
Was ich sagen wollte war, dass ich meine Nachbarschaft manchmal mit sehr lauter Musik beglücke und bestimmt nicht immer zu jedermanns Freude. Aber ich hab gar kein schlechtes Gewissen, denn die Rasenmäher-Orgien sind auch nicht zu meiner Freude.
Mein letztes Geschreibsel hat sich irgendwie mit deinem überschnitten. Ich glaube wir sollten brav schlafen gehen, es ist spät, oder früh, je nach dem.
Reply 3107
generalebriety
Yes. (I don't think 'eben' ever means 'even'; 'gerade' is 'just' as in 'just now', 'just a second ago'.)

Actually it may mean that, but only in the sense of "even ground".:wink:
hobnob
Actually it may mean that, but only in the sense of "even ground".:wink:

Oh, alright then. :p: I suspect that's where the word "Ebene" comes from...
grizzlybär
I feel the need to explain: I hate doing my housework but unfortunately it has to be done every now and then and 'es geht besser von der Hand'(?) with music.

I'm a night person, eine Nachteule wie man hier sagt and I love to go for a walk in the early morning hours at least at this time of the year. I live near by the forrest and it's amazing every time to listen to the awakening day.

I know what you mean - It makes it less of a chore to listen to music as you go :smile:

Can you recommend any good German speaking bands grizzlybär? I like Tokio Hotel but thats about all I've found.

Also, how do you say Teddy bear? (I should know this!) One of my school 'friends' asked me this a while ago then told me off when I, trying to think on my feet, said Bärchen - Even though she has no german knowledge whatsoever!
Reply 3110
Teddybär should suffice...

Give Juli a listen - a bit of cheerful German pop :biggrin:
Hi kiss_me_now9,
I don't know what's up to date right now, but I can give you a few names: Scorpions,
Bap was pretty popular in the early eighties, but they sing with Kölner dialect, Udo Lindenberg, Herbert Grönemeyer,Zara-thustra, Die Toten Hosen,
I like listening to Max Raabe or Götz Alsmann from time to time, I'm really not good at artists and bands I just listen to the music playing on the radio and even when I like the song I often don't know the title or who the artist is.
Ah there is one more, I like Haindling he sings bayerisch. Another bayerische Band is
Biermösl Blosn,but they are hard to understand
Reply 3112
generalebriety
Oh, alright then. :p: I suspect that's where the word "Ebene" comes from...

Ja, genau.:smile:
grizzlybär
Hi kiss_me_now9,
I don't know what's up to date right now, but I can give you a few names: Scorpions,
Bap was pretty popular in the early eighties, but they sing with Kölner dialect, Udo Lindenberg, Herbert Grönemeyer,Zara-thustra, Die Toten Hosen,
I like listening to Max Raabe or Götz Alsmann from time to time, I'm really not good at artists and bands I just listen to the music playing on the radio and even when I like the song I often don't know the title or who the artist is.
Ah there is one more, I like Haindling he sings bayerisch. Another bayerische Band is
Biermösl Blosn,but they are hard to understand

Gutentag! Ich heisse Rachel und ich bin 16 Jahre alt. In September, werde ich ein Deutsch Abitur machen, also will ich mein Deutsch (pratice??).
Reply 3115
moody28028
Gutentag! Ich heisse Rachel und ich bin 16 Jahre alt. In September, werde ich ein Deutsch Abitur machen, also will ich mein Deutsch (pratice??).

"üben".:smile: Hallo Rachel.
Reply 3116
hey!
I have a new question for you :wink:
When do you use "ain´t"? In comparison with "isn´t"? And is it an abbreviation? For "are not" or what?
Reply 3117
Never use ain't in anything written...it's extremely informal. Usually just a slang way of saying "isn't" or "hasn't"/"haven't".
Or "aren't", or "am not".
Reply 3119
Yep true.

Yorkshire equivalent = "ant" :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending