Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Nach nur zwei Stunden? Alle Achtung.
    Ich hatte innerhalb 45 Minuten eine Flasche Wein getrunken, aber danach nichts mehr. :p: Ich wurde schnell betrunken und bin dann schnell wieder nüchtern geworden. Schade.

ReputationRep:
    was bedeutet GmbH? es steht so auf jeden deutschen produkte, und ich wusste nie was es bedeutet..

ReputationRep:
    und off-topic, wann benutzt man "bzw". ich dachte immer dass es gleich wie "oder" war, .. .nicht sicher,.,
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by unikq)
    was bedeutet GmbH? es steht so auf jeden deutschen produkte, und ich wusste nie was es bedeutet..
    Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung. Limited corporation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by unikq)
    und off-topic, wann benutzt man "bzw". ich dachte immer dass es gleich wie "oder" war, .. .nicht sicher,.,
    Ja, ich glaube schon.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by unikq)
    Nicht ganz. "Beziehungsweise" entspricht in etwa "respectively". Also eher "und" als "oder".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Stocknüchternnn.
    I'm going to take it that means hung over? :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    I'm going to take it that means hung over? :p:
    No. Sober. :p: It was only midnight! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Aww! That's an impressive sobering up time
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Aww! That's an impressive sobering up time
    Well yeah. I drank a bottle of wine in about 45 minutes, so got drunk quickly, and then sobered up quickly. Oh well. :p: My bottle of wine got pennied. :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    I bet it was fun whilst it last though, right? (Could I use doch there? It still confuses me somewhat, though I do find it fun to just shout it at people )
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I bet it was fun whilst it last though, right? (Could I use doch there? It still confuses me somewhat, though I do find it fun to just shout it at people )
    Can you write the whole sentence out so I can see where you're using doch?

Und ja, es hat Spaß gemacht.

ReputationRep:
    At the end of this, instead of the 'right': "I bet it was fun whilst it last though, right" Obviously though if it was in German. I'm sorry, I haven't slept more than five hours a night in the past week and a half so that probably doesn't make much sense. :p:

I'll give it a go though...

Es macht spaß, doch? (Mm... My bed is looking more and more inviting as I write this post!)
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    At the end of this, instead of the 'right': "I bet it was fun whilst it last though, right" Obviously though if it was in German. I'm sorry, I haven't slept more than five hours a night in the past week and a half so that probably doesn't make much sense. :p:

I'll give it a go though...

Es macht spaß, doch? (Mm... My bed is looking more and more inviting as I write this post!)
    I don't think that makes sense. I'd use "oder?" or "nicht wahr?". You might also hear "gell?", but that's slangy and southern.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, gell. I'd forgotten gell, my friends exchange student used it all the time.

I think I discovered german text talk today on a youtube video - nichts written as nix and other very confusing things that I didn't understand at all. :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Oh, gell. I'd forgotten gell, my friends exchange student used it all the time.

I think I discovered german text talk today on a youtube video - nichts written as nix and other very confusing things that I didn't understand at all. :p:
    If you still have a link, I can try and help. :p: Text talk can be quite interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Haha I used to like saying "doch" all the time, even though it didn't fit. I think I have the hang of how to use it now though, it's simple really, just use it to contradict a negative sentence, a few examples:

"You're not going on a bike ride today"
    "doch" [yes I am!]

"You've not tidied your room!"
    "doch" [yes I have]

Get the idea?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by wtid)
    Haha I used to like saying "doch" all the time, even though it didn't fit. I think I have the hang of how to use it now though, it's simple really, just use it to contradict a negative sentence, a few examples:

"You're not going on a bike ride today"
    "doch" [yes I am!]

"You've not tidied your room!"
    "doch" [yes I have]

Get the idea?
    It's not quite as simple as that, though, unfortunately... "Doch" can also be used as a kind of filler:
    "Du willst mir doch nicht ernsthaft weismachen, daß du dein Zimmer aufgeräumt hast."
    "Es hat aber doch trotzdem Spaß gemacht, oder?" (that's more or less the sentence kiss_me_now had in mind)
    "Das kann doch nicht wahr sein!"

I don't think there's a real equivalent for it in English, though, so it's a bit tricky to get it right, I suppose. It's close(ish) in meaning to "aber", but it's not quite the same, and it's used quite differently from "though".

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow! And all this time I thought "doch" just meant something like "still","yet","but" (or things like "afterall", "you know" in some context).:p:
    That's so cool!
    So can it be understood as one of those filler words which gives a subtle negative sound?
    o__O?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Nimbus)
    Oh wow! And all this time I thought "doch" just meant something like "still","yet","but" (or things like "afterall", "you know" in some context).:p:
    That's so cool!
    So can it be understood as one of those filler words which gives a subtle negative sound?
    o__O?
    Hmm, no, I wouldn't say that. It's a bit "nevertheless"-ish. God, this is difficult to explain... Basically the problem is that there's no single English word which is used in quite the same way. Doch can mean "still", "yet", "but" or "after all" (possibly even "you know", although I can't think of an example off the top of my head), but there are lots of situations in which you could use one of those in English but wouldn't use "doch" in German.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2013

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.