The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3340
grizzlybär
ah I see this makes sense.
I haven't even noticed the warning above. It's only lucent red though.
Am I guessing right that the 'warning Level:1'-hint on the right relates to this problem?

I don't think so... Discussing Edexcel exams is a 10-point warn for a first offence and a temporary ban for a second.
I can talk now - Basically, the listening was really slow and understandable, (it's my best part anyway), the reading was OK and the writing was on my oral topic :biggrin: So I am very happy with how it went! Certainly trumps the lit. part that I took this time last week. :smile:
Hallo Leute. Wenn ihr mir helfen könntet, würde es mich freuen. :smile:

Meine Prüfungen sind endlich zu Ende gekommen und ich suche ein paar gute deutsche Bücher, die ich während der Sommerferien lesen kann - und ich brauche Empfehlungen!

Was deutsche Bücher betrifft, habe ich wirklich keine Ahnung. Bisher habe ich nur Damals war es Friedrich und ein paar andere Bücher gelesen und na ja, ich suche jetzt etwas anders. :p: Ich suche ein Buch, das mich herausfordern wird aber auch das nicht so kompliziert ist, dass ich gar nichts verstehen kann.

Tut mir Leid, dass mein Post so unklar ist aber.. eure Hilfe ist trotzdem sehr willkommen!
Moby Dick! - Auf Deutsch :cool:
Ich habe gerade Der Vorleser (Bernhard Schlink) gelesen und ich fand es sehr toll. Ich würde es empfehlen, es ist sehr interessant und gut geschrieben, das Thema ist etwas schwierig (Vergangenheitsbewaltigung, Nazis usw.) aber der Text ist nicht so schwierig - einer meiner Freunden hat es schon für A Level gelesen, also ich glaube du schaffst es! Ein andere Buch, das mir gut gefallen hat ist Das Parfum (Patrick Süßkind), ein bißchen seltsam, aber sehr spannend, interessant und so schön geschrieben :biggrin: Hilft das etwas?
ooh ja, das ist eine gute Romane. Ich würde es auch empfehlen :biggrin:
Reply 3346
Titaniyum
Was deutsche Bücher betrifft, habe ich wirklich keine Ahnung. Bisher habe ich nur Damals war es Friedrich und ein paar andere Bücher gelesen und na ja, ich suche jetzt etwas anders. :p: Ich suche ein Buch, das mich herausfordern wird aber auch das nicht so kompliziert ist, dass ich gar nichts verstehen kann.

Wenn man mal von der Sprache absieht, was für Bücher liest du denn gerne? Und sag jetzt bitte nicht "eigentlich alles" - kein Mensch liest wirklich alle Arten von Büchern gleich gerne.:wink:
Vielen Dank Trirarien und uthred50.. ihr habt mir doch geholfen. :smile:

hobnob
Wenn man mal von der Sprache absieht, was für Bücher liest du denn gerne? Und sag jetzt bitte nicht "eigentlich alles" - kein Mensch liest wirklich alle Arten von Büchern gleich gerne.

Ähm.. seriöse Bücher vielleicht.. der Vorleser klingt als ob ich es genießen würde. Ich habe auch Andorra von Max Frisch wirklich genossen. Meine Lehrerin hat mir auch ein Buch von Heinrich Böll gegeben, das mich interessiert hätte, wenn ich die Zeit hätte, es richtig zu lesen. Es heißt Der vorlorene Ehre der Katherina Blum oder etwas Ähnliches, es war aber ziemlich schwer für mich zu lesen.

Na ja, vielleicht ist das immer noch etwas unklar also ich kann dir noch ein paar Beispiele geben, wenn es dir helfen wirst. (Habe auch Bücher von Dan Brown gerne gelesen :p: )

Danke im Voraus!
Titaniyum
Hallo Leute. Wenn ihr mir helfen könntet, würde es mich freuen. :smile:

Meine Prüfungen sind endlich zu Ende gekommen und ich suche ein paar gute deutsche Bücher, die ich während der Sommerferien lesen kann - und ich brauche Empfehlungen!

Tut mir Leid, dass mein Post so unklar ist aber.. eure Hilfe ist trotzdem sehr willkommen!

"Bahnwaerter Thiel" (Hauptmann) hat mir ganz gut gefallen, ist aber schwierig zu lesen.
hobnob
OK, bis hierhin verstehe ich es so halbwegs (glaube ich zumindest) - aber was mir immer noch nicht ganz klar ist: was genau kann man denn dann mit Hilfe dieser Vereinfachung über so einen Raum herausfinden?

Oh, sorry - I completely missed your post. :redface: I'll answer in English, because it's 4:24am and my German maths vocab isn't up to it.

Well, certain spaces have properties called completeness (you don't get sequences trying to converge to points that don't exist or naughty things like that), compactness (if you cover the space up with infinitely many "open sets" (just think of them as bits of cloth or something :p:), someone can come along and remove loads of superfluous ones and leave you with a finite cover), and so on. You might want to know if the space is disconnected, i.e. whether it would break apart or not if you tried to pick it up. (A square would be connected, but if you removed an infinitely thin line down the middle, like a crack, it'd be disconnected. A sphere and a doughnut are both connected.) You could, of course, just want to know what a space looks like (does it have a hole in it like a doughnut, or is it completely continuous like a sphere?).

The Poincaré conjecture, a problem very much like this, was recently solved by Perelman. Imagine a 2-dimensional sphere (i.e. a normal one - I say 2-dimensional because I'm referring to the surface of the sphere, not of a whole solid sphere) and wrap a loop of string around it. No matter where you put your loop of string, you can always tighten it and make it smaller and smaller (picture) until it's eventually just a point. Now, of course, this also works for anything that's vaguely like a sphere. It could be a cylinder - you'd have to tighten it "around" sharp corners, but that doesn't matter. As long as you're not breaking the string or breaking the cylinder, it's fine. It could be a cube or a pyramid or something even more irregular, as long as it's equivalent to a sphere topologically, i.e. it has no holes in it. Now think of a doughnut, or anything equivalent to it (like the coffee cup). If you make a loop in certain places on the doughnut, you can pull it tight, but if you make a loop in other places (e.g. around the "handle" of the coffee cup) you can't pull it tight along the surface.

It was known for a long time that the ability to pull any loop on the surface of a "2-manifold" (the name for this type of space) tight was something that was unique to a sphere - the only manifolds out there are manifolds that look like spheres, ones that look like doughnuts, ones that look like 'doughnuts' except with two holes (try gluing two doughnuts together), and so on. The sphere was the only one with this property. This is important because sometimes you can't tell whether a space is equivalent to a sphere or not (which is obviously a nice property to have because we know loads about spheres), so you can stick an arbitrary loop on it and try to pull it tight, and if it always works then your space is a sphere. Similar properties were also known about the sphere in 5 dimensions and above, and were soon proved for the sphere in 4 dimensions too. But the 3-sphere proved really difficult to get a grip on, because in dimensions 3 and 4 you get spaces "knotting" into themselves (which is exactly what you'd expect it to mean - forming a knot and being awkward about pulling the loop tight), whereas in 2 dimensions you don't have enough room for anything to knot together and in 5 or above you have enough room to trivially unknot anything that knots itself together. Perelman proved the result true for 3 dimensions, and was offered the Fields medal - often called the maths equivalent of a Nobel prize - and turned it down.

It's also important in knot theory (not connected to the knots I just mentioned), which is again exactly what you'd expect - studying knots mathematically. I don't know anything about that, but have some pretty pictures here and here. (I don't even know what the hell this means.)
Reply 3350
Heh learnt something new watching the EM on German TV, a penalty is called an Elfmeter, would never have considered that they use meters instead of feet.

At first Friederike said "elfmeter" and I asked what about 11 meters :redface:
Reply 3351
generalebriety
Oh, sorry - I completely missed your post. :redface: I'll answer in English, because it's 4:24am and my German maths vocab isn't up to it.

Well, certain spaces have properties called completeness (you don't get sequences trying to converge to points that don't exist or naughty things like that), compactness (if you cover the space up with infinitely many "open sets" (just think of them as bits of cloth or something :p:), someone can come along and remove loads of superfluous ones and leave you with a finite cover), and so on. You might want to know if the space is disconnected, i.e. whether it would break apart or not if you tried to pick it up. (A square would be connected, but if you removed an infinitely thin line down the middle, like a crack, it'd be disconnected. A sphere and a doughnut are both connected.) You could, of course, just want to know what a space looks like (does it have a hole in it like a doughnut, or is it completely continuous like a sphere?).

The Poincaré conjecture, a problem very much like this, was recently solved by Perelman. Imagine a 2-dimensional sphere (i.e. a normal one - I say 2-dimensional because I'm referring to the surface of the sphere, not of a whole solid sphere) and wrap a loop of string around it. No matter where you put your loop of string, you can always tighten it and make it smaller and smaller (picture) until it's eventually just a point. Now, of course, this also works for anything that's vaguely like a sphere. It could be a cylinder - you'd have to tighten it "around" sharp corners, but that doesn't matter. As long as you're not breaking the string or breaking the cylinder, it's fine. It could be a cube or a pyramid or something even more irregular, as long as it's equivalent to a sphere topologically, i.e. it has no holes in it. Now think of a doughnut, or anything equivalent to it (like the coffee cup). If you make a loop in certain places on the doughnut, you can pull it tight, but if you make a loop in other places (e.g. around the "handle" of the coffee cup) you can't pull it tight along the surface.

It was known for a long time that the ability to pull any loop on the surface of a "2-manifold" (the name for this type of space) tight was something that was unique to a sphere - the only manifolds out there are manifolds that look like spheres, ones that look like doughnuts, ones that look like 'doughnuts' except with two holes (try gluing two doughnuts together), and so on. The sphere was the only one with this property. This is important because sometimes you can't tell whether a space is equivalent to a sphere or not (which is obviously a nice property to have because we know loads about spheres), so you can stick an arbitrary loop on it and try to pull it tight, and if it always works then your space is a sphere. Similar properties were also known about the sphere in 5 dimensions and above, and were soon proved for the sphere in 4 dimensions too. But the 3-sphere proved really difficult to get a grip on, because in dimensions 3 and 4 you get spaces "knotting" into themselves (which is exactly what you'd expect it to mean - forming a knot and being awkward about pulling the loop tight), whereas in 2 dimensions you don't have enough room for anything to knot together and in 5 or above you have enough room to trivially unknot anything that knots itself together. Perelman proved the result true for 3 dimensions, and was offered the Fields medal - often called the maths equivalent of a Nobel prize - and turned it down.

Sounds fascinating. Thanks for the explanation.:smile:
It's also important in knot theory (not connected to the knots I just mentioned), which is again exactly what you'd expect - studying knots mathematically. I don't know anything about that, but have some pretty pictures here and here. (I don't even know what the hell this means.)

Speaking of knot theory, have you ever come across this book? It's meant to appeal to a wider audience, obviously, but they did actually include all the mathsy bits as well, so you might enjoy it (even if you don't wear ties on a daily basis).
Reply 3352
hobnob
Sounds fascinating. Thanks for the explanation.:smile:

Did we read the same thing? :p: Whatever floats your boat I guess!
Reply 3353
wtid

Oi! Nothing wrong with maths.:p:
Reply 3354
hobnob
Oi! Nothing wrong with maths.:p:

With lots of time and revision I struggled to even get a C at GCSE, so to me, there very definitely is :p:

Having said that I definitely have respect for anyone who can understand it, especially someone doing Maths at Cambridge!
wtid

Hmph. :p: I'm quite interested in this stuff actually.

hobnob
Speaking of knot theory, have you ever come across this book? It's meant to appeal to a wider audience, obviously, but they did actually include all the mathsy bits as well, so you might enjoy it (even if you don't wear ties on a daily basis).

I've seen it around, but I never actually knew it was mathematical. Seems so. I might have a look next time I'm in town. :smile: Cheers.
Das Jahr ist endlich vorbei, und ich bin wieder in Birkenhead. Und ich habe meine Pruefungen bestanden. :smile:

hobnob
Sei froh. Es ist noch viel schlimmer wenn du nach deinen allerletzten Prüfungen auf einmal keine Arbeit mehr hast. Man stellt sich das nur vorher immer so toll vor, aber in der Praxis sieht das dann leider oft ganz anders aus...:s-smilie:

PS: Auch wenn das eine etwas dämliche Frage ist: Was sind eigentlich metrische und topologische Räume (irgendwas mathematisches vermutlich, aber was genau)?

In case you're still interested: have a rather patronising video which explains how to turn a sphere inside out. Far too advanced for me to understand mathematically, but it's very well explained.
Reply 3357
generalebriety
Far too advanced for me to understand mathematically, but it's very well explained.

Funny, you say things like that yet you do Maths at Cambridge. I automatically expect someone doing that to be able to do anything in Maths with ease...misconseptions eh?
wtid
Funny, you say things like that yet you do Maths at Cambridge. I automatically expect someone doing that to be able to do anything in Maths with ease...misconseptions eh?

*shrugs* It's not a topic I've studied in any depth (and no doubt will continue to be so until at least the third year). It's very modern, complicated geometry.

I'm now wondering whether I've already shown hobnob that video or not. :s-smilie:
Reply 3359
I don't think so, I don't remember it, but anyway it doesn't matter as I'm watching it and finding it interesting :smile: It's just like being back at university, doing 3D modelling and moving the points around to make the shape.

Latest

Trending

Trending