Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by wtid)
    Is GCSE really that easy? I was thinking of taking a GCSE in German at some point just to see if I can do it, then maybe progress onto an A-Level. Maybe it's not much use since I have a degree, but an extra A-Level, especially in a language could be a benefit in future.

Es ist so fruhe :yawn: Wir gehen nach Stuttgart um 8 uhr, bis Donnerstag.
    I reckon you'd struggle with GCSE, because your German's too good. Language GCSEs are weird creatures that force you to learn reams and reams of unnecessary vocab (which you probably don't know, which I probably don't know myself) and be frothing grammar at the mouth (i.e. you have to show off all the grammar you know in every few lines you write, and it's really unnatural). I reckon you'd be better suited to AS, but you'd need to do a fair bit of preparation for it. A2 involves German literature, which could be interesting. That stuff's not easy at all, much less without a German teacher... but it's doable if you pick the right texts.

(Stuttgart! )

ReputationRep:
    Ja aber wann du bist deutsch lernen es schneit nicht so einfach!

(Is this right still not that great at german yet lol!)
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Katy94)
    Ja aber wann du bist deutsch lernen es schneit nicht so einfach!

(Is this right still not that great at german yet lol!)
    No, not quite. There's one mistake you've made in both your posts: putting "bist" (or "bin") in front of an infinitive and hoping it makes a present tense. You can't say "du bist lernen" for "you are learning" or "ich bin studieren" for "I am studying". You have to use the present tense, "du lernst" or "ich studiere" - it looks like it means "you learn", but it also means "you are learning".

Two more small mistakes: you confused "wenn" and "wann" (which is an easy mistake to make) - the latter is only used in questions and in reported questions (e.g. "wann kommt der Bus?" and "er fragte mich, wann der Bus kommt"), the former is used most of the time otherwise. There is a third alternative, "als", but no need to worry about that (it's used for single actions in the past). The other mistake was writing "es schneit" ("it snows") instead of "es scheint" ("it seems").

Your sentence altogether should've read: "Ja, aber wenn du Deutsch lernst, scheint es nicht so einfach!". Can you see where that's come from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grizzlybär)
    Hallo Lothar,

na das trifft sich ja gut. Ich studiere Kulturwissenschaften an der FernUni in Hagen. Sie haben dort den Studiengang neu konzipiert und man muss einen Fachschwerpunkt wählen und ich habe vor Geschichte zu nehmen. Ich bin erst seit diesem Jahr dort eingeschrieben als Teilzeit-Student.
    Dein Deutsch ist überhauptnicht schlecht. Ich hatte Englisch in der Schule, von der 5ten bis zur 13ten Klasse, aber das ist schon eine ganze Weile her.
    Ich habe keine Ahnung was 'msn' ist, wenn's um Computer geht, bin ich sowas wie ein Neandertaler. Um mein Englisch nicht zu verlernen, lese ich viel, oder schaue mir Filme auf Englisch an, oder ich melde mich bei "UK's largest student community" an. So glaub ich stand das bei google. Uh, das war ein ganz schöner Akt, bis das mal funktioniert hat.
    hey msn messenger ist wie 'aim' oder 'google chat' - hauptsaechlich einen Programm um zu chatten(?). Aber wenn du kennst es nicht gibt es kein Problem: wir koennen doch an TSR diskutieren! Du hast gesagt dass du teilzeit studierest, hast du doch auch einen Job? Ich bewundere die Weise inder du Englisch gelernt hast! Ich werde probieren dasselbe zu machen, aber ich glaube, dass ich es sehr schwere finden werde...

Please correct any mistakes!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everybody for your suggestions on how to translate 'work my way through'! I have two more questions that I've never really understood, could somebody help me out?

Firstly, I never really understood when I should or should not use commas in written german. I know it's not quite the same as english but I tend to do it rather haphazardly - when I'm using a new verb or something... Secondly, which words still use the 'ß'? I know there was some kind of spelling reform at some point, but I never understood how it worked...

Thank you if anyone can help me out!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Lothar)
    Firstly, I never really understood when I should or should not use commas in written german. I know it's not quite the same as english but I tend to do it rather haphazardly - when I'm using a new verb or something...
    Your intuition is basically right. Commas (other than being used for things like "Hallo, Benjamin!") generally separate clauses, a clause being very loosely defined as a sequence of words in a sentence which convey some sort of meaning on their own and contain a verb. For example, in the sentence "I knew that the house was on fire but I didn't know whether there was anyone still inside", there are four clauses: "I knew" (first main clause), "(that) the house was on fire" (first subordinate clause), "(but) I didn't know" (second main clause), "(whether) there was anyone still inside" (second subordinate clause).

(As a side note: if you look closely, you'll notice that the words I've bracketed at the beginning of each sentence have something in common. They're all conjunctions, i.e. they link clauses. The ones I've called subordinate clauses (i.e. clauses that are dependent on a main clause to make sense) start with a subordinating conjunction, and in German these always send the verb to the end. The main clauses retain normal word order.)

So once more, in German: "ich wusste, dass das Haus brannte, aber ich wusste nicht, ob es immer noch jemand drinnen war". (The subordinating conjunctions are "dass" and "ob".)

Secondly, which words still use the 'ß'? I know there was some kind of spelling reform at some point, but I never understood how it worked...
    I forget how it used to work - was it ß after a vowel, except before another vowel? Anyway, nowadays it's just ß after a long vowel, ss after a short one.

ReputationRep:
    hey msn messenger ist wie 'aim' oder 'google chat' - hauptsaechlich einen Programm um zu chatten(?). Aber wenn du kennst es nicht gibt es kein Problem: wir koennen doch an TSR diskutieren! Du hast gesagt dass du teilzeit studierest, hast du doch auch einen Job? Ich bewundere die Weise inder du Englisch gelernt hast! Ich werde probieren dasselbe zu machen, aber ich glaube, dass ich es sehr schwere finden werde...

Please correct any mistakes!
    Hi Lothar,
    I just started to correct a few mistakes, but I think it's easier for me to retype your text the way I would have put it: msn ist wie 'aim' oder 'google chat'- hauptsächlich ein Programm zum chatten. Aber wenn Du es nicht kennst, auch kein Problem: wir können auch im TSR diskutieren! Du hast gesagt, dass Du Teilzeit studierst, hast Du auch noch einen Job? the rest is ok the way you wrote it. But to answer your questions: I have two children and I'm studying at home. The university programms and courses are send to me via mail. I will write only my exams at the university. To check with my progress I'm in contact with other students and my mentors via internet.
    I'm studying more out of personal interest than with any specific professional intentions.
    Maybe I'll change to whatever the opposite of distance teaching is later on.

Please feel free to correct my mistakes!

Zum Studieren kam mit zwei schulpflichtigen Kindern nur die FernUniversität in Frage. Ich wohne ziemlich ländlich und die nächste Uni ist ca. 60km weit weg.
    In Deutschland wird unterschieden zwischen Fernstudium und Präsenzstudium. Wie würde man Präsenzstudium übersetzen?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    But to answer your questions: I have two children and I'm studying at home. The university programmes and courses are sent to me via mail. I will only take / sit my exams at the university. To check my progress I'm in contact with other students and my mentors via (the) internet.
    I'm studying more out of personal interest than with any specific professional intentions.
    Maybe I'll change to whatever the opposite of distance teaching is later on.

Please feel free to correct my mistakes!
    Done.

Wie würde man Präsenzstudium übersetzen?
    I don't think we really have a translation for it... we'd probably just say "going to university" or "studying at university", since distance learning isn't that common (at least, not amongst people of around 18-21, who want to leave home as soon as possible :p:).

Incidentally - more for Lothar's benefit than yours - "du" is no longer required to be capitalised (unlike "Sie"), after some spelling reform or other.

ReputationRep:
    Hi generalebriety,
    thank you for your corrections!
    I didn't know that "du" is no longer required to be capitalised. I've learnt it? otherwise in school. With the spelling reform a lot of things do make more sense, but I'm nevertheless confused. Same with "ss"or "ß" I can't keep those rules in mind. I'm soooo lucky that German is my motherlanguage so I don't have to learn it as a foreign language.

it should be mother tongue or native language, I've just checked up.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Hi generalebriety,
    thank you for your corrections!
    I didn't know that "du" is no longer required to be capitalised. I've learnt it? otherwise in school. With the spelling reform a lot of things do make more sense, but I'm nevertheless confused. Same with "ss"or "ß" I can't keep those rules in mind. I'm soooo lucky that German is my motherlanguage so I don't have to learn it as a foreign language.

it should be mother tongue or native language, I've just checked up.
    You can just say "I learnt otherwise in school", or "I learnt it differently in school". Maybe "at school" would be better, but both work. And again, "checked", not "checked up".

Yeah - I learnt German after the spelling reform but from old textbooks, so I'm competent at both, but I'm more comfortable with the new spellings. I could write using the old spellings if I tried, but I'd probably forget little details (e.g. I'd type 'dass' out of habit instead of 'daß').

ReputationRep:
    Ich habe gerade etwas Interessantes gefunden!

Gmaes eneir Sutide eneir elgnihcesn Uvinisterät, ist es nchit witihcg, in wlecehr Rneflogheie die Bstachuebn in eneim Wrot snid. Das ezniige, was wcthiig ist, ist, dsas der estre und der leztte Bstabchue an der ritihcegn Pstoiion snid. Der Rset knan ein ttoaelr Bsinöldn sien, tedztorm knan man ihn onhe Pemoblre lseen. Das ist so, wiel wir nciht jeedn Bstachuebn enzelin leesn, snderon das Wrot als gseatems.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Ich habe gerade etwas Interessantes gefunden!

Gmaes eneir Sutide eneir elgnihcesn Uvinisterät, ist es nchit witihcg, in wlecehr Rneflogheie die Bstachuebn in eneim Wrot snid. Das ezniige, was wcthiig ist, ist, dsas der estre und der leztte Bstabchue an der ritihcegn Pstoiion snid. Der Rset knan ein ttoaelr Bsinöldn sien, tedztorm knan man ihn onhe Pemoblre lseen. Das ist so, wiel wir nciht jeedn Bstachuebn enzelin leesn, snderon das Wrot als gseatems.
    Heh. I've seen something similar before in English, but never in German. I suppose you can only really read it "onhe Pemoblre" if you know all the words... which luckily I do. :p:

Incidentally, since you're learning English: a couple of poems (click) dedicated to our wonderful language. :p:

ReputationRep:
    That really is interesing. Who cares for correct spelling?!

Few can cilam tehir sbumelirng hruos are as podrucivte or as lcatiuvre, but stcenisits hvae fonud eiencdve taht "selepnig on the pleobrm" does wrok. By sncaning the birans of veltnueors, tehy funod that a good ngiht's suht-eye semes to suamtlite new barin cenoncitons that pomrote lernanig by tiurnng a weak momeory into a sgrotner one.

ReputationRep:
    Ich liebe solche Spielereien mit Sprache. Du hast recht solange man die Worte kennt, geht es. Aber ich muss mich berichtigen, das richtige Buchstabieren ist hier sogar noch wichtiger, denn wenn ein Buchstabe fehlt wird es echt schwierig das Wort zu erkennen.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Ich liebe solche Spielereien mit Sprache. Du hast recht solange man die Worte kennt, geht es. Aber ich muss mich berichtigen, das richtige Buchstabieren ist hier sogar noch wichtiger, denn wenn ein Buchstabe fehlt wird es echt schwierig das Wort zu erkennen.
    Hmm, wieso?

ReputationRep:
    Ja, wieso eigentlich? Ich dachte gerade, dass das Erkennen der Worte in der Muttersprache problemloser klappt, auch wenn der ein oder andere Buchstabe fehlt. Wahrscheinlich ist man richtig gut in der Fremdsprache, wenn das auch hier gilt. Also, ich würde sagen Du bist so richtig gut in Deutsch!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    (Stuttgart! )
    Was ist mit Stuttgart? :p:

I can't be bothered thinking in German now It was a nice place, lots of shops compared to Hannover, but we only went once, because the friend we visited (Dorothee) lives about 60km east of Stuttgart, in a village near Swaebisch Gmuend. Ahh it was so nice around there, so quiet and peaceful, I want to live there! Schwaebisch was hard to understand, Dorothee obviously spoke it with her parents and brother and I didn't really get a word of what they were saying, however when Friederike (my girlfriend) speaks, I get the sense of most of the stuff she says.

ReputationRep:
    I love Stuttgart, it's an incredible city. I've been twice (our school exchanges with the Gymnasiums in Stuttgart) and both times have really enjoyed it. Love the tram system and I could probably tell you all the stops on the line my exchange partners took (managed to get partners who lived within 2 minutes of each other both times) and the ones that go to school. My second exchange partner tried to a little swaebisch and it just confused the hell out of me.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by wtid)
    Was ist mit Stuttgart? :p:
    That's where I went on the German exchanges with my school. :p: Well, Tübingen really, but we went on trips to Stuttgart. Nice place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    That's where I went on the German exchanges with my school. :p: Well, Tübingen really, but we went on trips to Stuttgart. Nice place.
    Ja es hat (or is a city plural?) so viele Geschaeft aber wir werden nur fuer 1 Abend da, also wir haben nichts mehr gesehen. Wir sind auch in der Tiergarten, [which was]? schoen.

Ich muss morgen mein Flug buchen, weil ich zu Haus am 1er August kommen muss. Ich moechte nicht gehen, weil dann ich ein Beruf finden muss und auch wohnen in London :no:

Entschuldigung fuer meine schlechtes Deutsch aber es ist spaet und ich habe die letztes nacht nicht so gut geschlafen. I'm not even sure if I'm making any mistakes, I'm just typing without thinking about it, because it sounds right :rolleyes: Not the best idea maybe, but it could all be right, perhaps I've subconsiously picked up enough not to need to think any more :p:

Oh, und, wo ist Elizabeth?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2013

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.