The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

~E8~
Now I'm planning to learn German. My goal is to be able to converse with a native german in an understable accent without struggling for words. The time limit I have set for myself is Sept 30th 2009. I would like to know how hard is it?

Feasible. Difficult if you won't be going to Germany in the meantime, but if you're planning a trip to Germany at some point, you can do it. :smile:

~E8~

Look at the thread in my signature too.

~E8~
And if anyone wants to become my free tutor, they can PM me ((In return, I can fix your computer, teach you how to use linux. it will save you from buying windows :biggrin: )

Not really. :wink: But you can post here and ask us for help - we don't bite!
Reply 3501
generalebriety
Feasible. Difficult if you won't be going to Germany in the meantime, but if you're planning a trip to Germany at some point, you can do it. :smile:

...not all of us anyway :evil:

do you really think a year is enough to be able to converse without struggling for words? I must be doing something wrong :p:
wtid
...not all of us anyway :evil:

do you really think a year is enough to be able to converse without struggling for words? I must be doing something wrong :p:

Have you seen some of your earlier posts?! You've probably come the furthest out of all of us. :p: Anyway, you admitted you hadn't really been concentrating on grammar (which is a shame), so it's not surprising that your German isn't perfect, but you always get your meaning across and I'd bet you can talk much much better than you used to be able to.
Reply 3503
generalebriety

Think going to Germany is kinda impossible. Reason: I have to apply for a tourist visa & other paperwork (intl student coming to england on a student visa)

Thanks

That was ..... errrr lets say an attempt to crack joke. Wasn't serious really.
generalebriety

have you thought about going into advertising? that's twice i've come accross that sentence today :wink:
Reply 3505
SpiritedAway
have you thought about going into advertising? that's twice i've come accross that sentence today :wink:

It was useful though :smile:
Reply 3506
Hey everyone, Im currently in Villach, Austria and tomorrow is my last day so there some people I would like to say goodbye and thank here, and Id like to get it right as its quite an important thing for me.

I was thinking, dankeschön für alles du hast gemacht für mich - which gets the point across, I was just wondering if anyone can improve or if thats wrong in anyway, thanks a lot.

Also the person is flying to Paris tomorrow so I'd like to say 'have a great time in paris'... Haben ein gutes zeit in Paris :s-smilie: Yeah that definitely needs improving. Thanks for your help
~E8~
It was useful though :smile:

:yep:
Hi,
I've just watched the ISS flying across the nightsky. It only lasts about ca.2 min then the ISS is no longer illuminated by the sun.
This is amazing!
grizzlybär
Hi,
I've just watched the ISS flying across the nightsky. It only lasts about ca.2 min then the ISS is no longer illuminated by the sun.
This is amazing!

wow. cool.
i have no idea what you're talking about :no:
grizzlybär
Hi,
This is amazing!

What's the ISS?

(By the way, we don't really use "ca." in English other than in dates, we'd just say "about" or "approximately". :smile:)
SpiritedAway
wow. cool.
i have no idea what you're talking about :no:

Hi, it's the International Space Station. Google "Heavens-Above".
grizzlybär
Hi, it's the International Space Station. Google "Heavens-Above".

oh. ok :smile:
generalebriety
What's the ISS?

(By the way, we don't really use "ca." in English other than in dates, we'd just say "about" or "approximately". :smile:)

Hi generalebriety,

Die Überflugdaten für heute waren: um 22.05 Uhr von West nach SüdSüdOst. Die sind pünktlich wie die Maurer. Ich find das sehr faszinierend. Wir haben versucht sie mit dem Teleskop einzufangen, weil man angeblich ansatzweise die Sonnensegel erkennen können soll, aber dem war nicht so. Unser Teleskop ist zu klein. Schade. Sie ist aber leicht mit dem bloßen Auge zu erkennen.

Wie geht es Dir?
Reply 3514
generalebriety
Have you seen some of your earlier posts?! You've probably come the furthest out of all of us. :p: Anyway, you admitted you hadn't really been concentrating on grammar (which is a shame), so it's not surprising that your German isn't perfect, but you always get your meaning across and I'd bet you can talk much much better than you used to be able to.

That last point is certainly true, however when he said he wants to be able to converse without having to look for words, that's vocab, not grammar. Admittedly, I have a bad memory and somebody with a good memory would be able to learn a lot more vocab than me in a shorter space of time. I assumed he meant he wants to be able to talk to a native as another native would. OK, maybe not quite like that, but with enough vocab that he wouldn't have to get his point across by using strange sentences that Germans wouldn't actually use, like I do :p:
Hi wtid,

wie geht es Dir? Wie war dein Interview? Ich hab' Dir die Daumen gedrückt.
Ich sollte eigentlich hier sitzen und was lernen, aber ich habe keine Lust dazu.
Viele Grüße nach Sheffield, oder bist Du wieder in Deutschland?
He, bin ich neugierig heute!
wtid
That last point is certainly true, however when he said he wants to be able to converse without having to look for words, that's vocab, not grammar. Admittedly, I have a bad memory and somebody with a good memory would be able to learn a lot more vocab than me in a shorter space of time. I assumed he meant he wants to be able to talk to a native as another native would. OK, maybe not quite like that, but with enough vocab that he wouldn't have to get his point across by using strange sentences that Germans wouldn't actually use, like I do :p:

It is vocab, but it's definitely also grammar, and most of all fluency. I'd bet what he actually means is that he doesn't want to be thinking "is my holiday an Urlaub or Ferien?", or "does the verb go straight after deshalb or do I send it to the end?", which is definitely more a case of practice than anything else.
grizzlybär
Hi generalebriety,

Die Überflugdaten für heute waren: um 22.05 Uhr von West nach SüdSüdOst. Die sind pünktlich wie die Maurer. Ich find das sehr faszinierend. Wir haben versucht sie mit dem Teleskop einzufangen, weil man angeblich ansatzweise die Sonnensegel erkennen können soll, aber dem war nicht so. Unser Teleskop ist zu klein. Schade. Sie ist aber leicht mit dem bloßen Auge zu erkennen.

Wie geht es Dir?

Hi grizzlybär. Ja, mir geht es gut, danke. Ich bin ein bisschen müde - ich hab doch gerade meiner Schwester geholfen beim Umziehen, was bedeutet, dass mein Vater und ich ihre ganzen Sachen vom alten Haus zum neuen gebracht haben und sie hat einfach herumgesessen und uns berichtet, wie und wo das alles gestellt werden sollte. Na ja... Hauptsache, es ist jetzt endlich vorbei (wenigstens für mich - mein Vater ist immer noch da, denn ich musste wieder nach Hause um mich um meinen Bruder zu kümmern). Puh.

Wie geht es dir?
Hallo generalebriety,
freut mich, dass es Dir gut geht. Wir sind schon dreimal umgezogen, jedesmal mit dem kompletten Hausstand. Ein Umzug wurde von einer Firma erledigt. Die kamen mit 4-5 Leuten (weis ich gar nicht mehr genau) und innerhalb eines Tages war der ganze Hausrat mit allem drum und dran in Kisten verpackt und im LKW verstaut. Einschließlich Möbel und Grünpflanzen. Meine Kinder hab ich sicherheitshalber bei der Oma abgeliefert, damit sie nicht auch noch im Karton landen. Das war schon ein komisches Gefühl: am Morgen haben wir noch, wie immer, Kaffee getrunken und am Abend war die Bude leer.
Auch schon wieder 12 Jahre her. Meine Güte, wie die Zeit vergeht. Den nächsten Umzug haben wir selbst organisiert. Wir haben gebaut und sind von der Wohnung ins Haus umgezogen. Ich bin bald wahnsinnig geworden: man glaubt garnicht, was sich im Laufe der Jahre so alles ansammelt. Vor dem nächsten Umzug wird rigoros ausgemistet. das mach ich nicht noch einmal mit. Oha, wenn ich daran zurückdenke, was für eine Arbeit.
Dieses Jahr haben wir nur ein Zimmer und den Hausflur neu tapeziert und gestrichen und ich hatte am dritten Tag die Nase gestrichen voll und konnte mir gar nicht mehr vorstellen, wie wir ein ganzes Haus einschließlich Keller haben bauen können.
He, man könnte meinen mir wäre langweilig, oder? Aber es geht mir gut!
Reply 3519
grizzlybär
Hi wtid,

wie geht es Dir? Wie war dein Interview? Ich hab' Dir die Daumen gedrückt.
Ich sollte eigentlich hier sitzen und was lernen, aber ich habe keine Lust dazu.
Viele Grüße nach Sheffield, oder bist Du wieder in Deutschland?
He, bin ich neugierig heute!

Hallo,

Es geht gut aber ich habe jetzt angst, weil ich werde morgen oder ubermorgen herausfinden, ob ich arbeit habe. Das Interview war gut. Ich habe die Fähigkeiten also ich warten muss. Es ist Schichtarbeit, die Schichten(?) sind 07:00 bis 16:00 und 15:30 bis 00:30 aber wenn man die Spätschicht arbeiten muss, die Firma bezahlt das Taxi und gibt einem £8 fuer Essen!

Ich bin jetzt in Sheffield :frown: Kein mehr Deutschland fuer mich bis Weihnachten, glaube ich :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending