Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by grizzlybär)
    you are probably right.

I have a question. "Peter told him the bad news" - in German grammar "him" is Dativobjekt and "the bad news" is Akkusativobjekt. If you have to identify the different parts of a sentence in German you ask e.g. wem erzählt er die schlechten Neuigkeiten - ihm- also Dativ und wen oder was erzählt er - die schlechten Neuigkeiten - also-Akkusativ
    how to do it in English? him is indirect object, I think; would this be the equivalent to the German Dativ? How do you identify if something is indirect or direct object?
    I'm sorry in advance, if this is a stupid question. I'm confused.
    Correct, but because our case system is so close to extinction, we don't learn the terms "direct object" and "indirect object" until we actually need to use them to be able to speak other languages! You'll notice also that "him" can be both "ihn" and "ihm" ("give him to me", "give him the ball"). In case you thought the situation could be diffused by writing them as "give me him" and "give him it" and concluding that dative always came before accusative in English, there's a nasty tendency for English people (mostly young people) to switch them round, so that "give him it" can be said "give it him", with massive potential for ambiguity.

Basically, the case system of our language is so simple that (a) we don't understand it in other languages, and (b) we don't even know how to use the few forms that still exist ("me and him went to the cinema"). This is why a grammar book or a teacher is the only way forward, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Correct, but because our case system is so close to extinction, we don't learn the terms "direct object" and "indirect object" until we actually need to use them to be able to speak other languages! You'll notice also that "him" can be both "ihn" and "ihm" ("give him to me", "give him the ball"). In case you thought the situation could be diffused by writing them as "give me him" and "give him it" and concluding that dative always came before accusative in English, there's a nasty tendency for English people (mostly young people) to switch them round, so that "give him it" can be said "give it him", with massive potential for ambiguity.
    I.e me :o: I never realised it was even grammatically wrong
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by wtid)
    I.e me :o: I never realised it was even grammatically wrong
    I wouldn't call it anything as strong as "grammatically wrong". At best, though, it's very colloquial. Point is, from the sentence "show her him", you can't tell which is dative and which is accusative, other than by tone of voice, so it's very hard for English people to grasp quite what 'accusative' and 'dative' mean. I was lucky I did Latin before German because the German cases are basically identical to the Latin ones (but less strict).

ReputationRep:
    Hi generalebriety,

it's probably best not to think too much about English grammar as well as German grammar. If I remember rightly it has to be: "It's I" not "it's me" but "it's me" sounds perfectly allright with me.
    Best way to learn a language is using it as often as you can. My problem is/was that I rather say nothing at all than to make a mistake, stupid,isn't it?
    Do you regret the tendency to simplify languages. It's always a massive outcry amongst German philologists if anyone dares to touch the language and sometimes I can only agree. Listening to people especially young ones is both appalling and astonishing. Appalling because they sometimes don't get three sentences in a row and astonishing because they are pretty creative inventing new expressions.
    But most important, language is what makes us human and keeps us connected.
    I'm babbling.
    forget-me-not = Vergissmeinnicht this is amazing. I think there are quite a few literally translated expressions.

ReputationRep:
    grizzly, I guess language has always evolved and is doing so now with younger people speaking differently. My girlfriend is intelligent and speaks proper German as far as I know, but as soon as I copied and pasted something to her, that you had posted, she said "that person sounds older, they talk like an older person rather than someone young". I don't mean any offence by this, but just showing that older and younger speak differently. (if you're not older than say, 30, then ignore me, I thought you were :o:)

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry I don't feel offended and it wasn't my intention to offend anyone either, which nevertheless I probably did. So, I'm sorry. I sometimes feel it a loss e.g. I'm born in Bayern
    and spent much time in Franken and lived a few years in 'de Palz'. Every region has it's own dialect and I regret that I'm not capable with any of those.
    Actually I am older than 30 and it's interessting that you can tell by the way I'm talking.
    It shows that you are right; older and younger speak differently.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Best way to learn a language is using it as often as you can. My problem is/was that I rather say nothing at all than to make a mistake, stupid,isn't it?
    Sadly, I do the same. I'm a perfectionist in that way. And you're right - it's exactly what we shouldn't be doing.

Do you regret the tendency to simplify languages. It's always a massive outcry amongst German philologists if anyone dares to touch the language and sometimes I can only agree.
    In some way, yes. It's definitely interesting linguistically, but there always comes a stage where it stops being German and starts being small contextual lexical grunts, and all essence of language is lost. Shame.

ReputationRep:
    To generalebriety and grizzlybär

http://photos-f.ak.facebook.com/phot...41309_2219.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleece)
    To generalebriety and grizzlybär

http://photos-f.ak.facebook.com/phot...41309_2219.jpg
    Quite true, but I promise solemnly ( now I sound even mediaevally, don't I)

Well, life is colourful, people are different, I love it (even if it gives me a headache sometimes)

ReputationRep:
    Hallo ... darf ich bitte Mitgliederin in diesen Gesellschaft werden? Bald werde ich Deutsch und internationale Beziehungen an Leeds Uni studieren und sollte meine Schreiben und Lesen üben, weil ich fast kein Deutsch während der vergangenen (?) Jahr gemacht habe!

Please forgive me if I've used any nonexistent words in that small paragraph
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Beanbeanbean)
    Hallo ... darf ich bitte Mitgliederin in diesen Gesellschaft werden? Bald werde ich Deutsch und internationale Beziehungen an Leeds Uni studieren und sollte meine Schreiben und Lesen üben, weil ich fast kein Deutsch während der vergangenen (?) Jahr gemacht habe!

Natürlich. Klick hier, um dich zu bewerben. (Ich werde dich natürlich gleich akzeptieren, wenn ich mich daran erinnere, mal die 'join requests' anzuschauen... :p:)

ReputationRep:

Toll...studiere auch an der Uni Leeds...mein viertes Jahr. Wilkommen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Natürlich. Klick hier, um dich zu bewerben. (Ich werde dich natürlich gleich akzeptieren, wenn ich mich daran erinnere, mal die 'join requests' anzuschauen... :p:)
    Wunderbar! Ich habe die Bewerbensmeldung (?) abgeschickt und hoffe, viel Zeit hier zu verbringen

ReputationRep:
    Viertes Jahr? Warum ist dein Kurs so lang? Hast du das Auslandsjahr mit einberechnet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtid)
    Viertes Jahr? Warum ist dein Kurs so lang? Hast du das Auslandsjahr mit einberechnet?
    Ja das Auslandsjahr ist ein obligatorischer Teil meines Kurses, also insgesamt ist es 4 Jahre lang.

ReputationRep:
    Das ist sehr ermutigend zu hören, danke! Wie hast du deine Jahr in Deutschland gefunden? Ich habe viel Angst, die ganze Jahr außerhalb England zu verbringen (aber auch freue mich darauf) ...

ReputationRep:
    hai generalebriety, ich habe mich eigentlich auch darum beworben, Mitglied zu werden :yep: , aber warte noch immer auf ne Antwort

und beanbeanbean, herzlich wilkommen!

ReputationRep:
    Das ist sehr ermutigend zu hören, danke! Wie hast du deine Jahr in Deutschland gefunden? Ich habe viel Angst, die ganze Jahr außerhalb England zu verbringen (aber auch freue mich darauf) ...
    Das Jahr kann ich nicht beschreiben...ohne zu übertreiben, es hat mein Leben geändert Einfach spitze.
    Keine Angst!

ReputationRep:
    morgen alle!!! :hello:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Hallo.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2013

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.