The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4000
SpiritedAway
komm zu Nordengland. Es ist viel besser :biggrin:

Ich habe alle meine Leben in Nordengland gewohnt :p: Mein zu Haus ist in Sheffield aber ich bin jetzt in London, weil heir mehr Arbeit ist.

Trotzdem, ich vermisse Deutschland wo die Häuser grosse sind!
I think, that both are correct, like in: "Ich habe Spass an dem, was ich mache" und "es hat mir unendlich viel spass gemacht"
wtid
Ich habe alle meine Leben in Nordengland gewohnt :p: Mein zu Haus ist in Sheffield aber ich bin jetzt in London, weil heir mehr Arbeit ist.

Trotzdem, ich vermisse Deutschland wo die Häuser grosse sind!

Ich habe nur einmal in London gebliebt, und ich hasse es!
Ich finde es schmutzig und die Leute was sogar grob oder versnobt.
Ich ja gern Deutschland. Ich habe für zwei Woche in eine kleine Dorf gebliebt und war es super! Sehr sauber und die Leute war nett und geduldig (besonders von meiner Sprache fehler.)
Reply 4003
SpiritedAway
Ich habe nur einmal in London gebliebt, und ich hasse es!
Ich finde es schmutzig und die Leute was sogar grob oder versnobt.
Ich ja gern Deutschland. Ich habe für zwei Woche in eine kleine Dorf gebliebt und war es super! Sehr sauber und die Leute war nett und geduldig (besonders von meine Sprache fehler.)

Ja, ich hasse es auch, aber naja :/ Ich war fuer 4 Monate in Deutchland und dann...London :rolleyes: kein Abgleich [comparison]
Didi Kule
I think, that both are correct, like in: "Ich habe Spass an dem, was ich mache" und "es hat mir unendlich viel spass gemacht"

Yeah, Spaß haben = to have fun; Spaß machen = to be fun. As someone earlier pointed out, the latter also means "to be kidding".
:woo: i now have a new pet hate.....relative clauses :ninja:

ok, is this right.... "Wo, er sie mir geschenkt hat, sind die Karten." it is meant to be the relative clause form of, "Wo sind die Karten. Er hat sie mir geschenkt. ". :cry:
SpiritedAway
ok, is this right.... "Wo, er sie mir geschenkt hat, sind die Karten." it is meant to be the relative clause form of, "Wo sind die Karten. Er hat sie mir geschenkt.

Wo sind die Karten, die er mir geschenkt hat?

Where are the cards that he gave me?

All the relative pronoun is doing is joining those two sentences together just like we do in English in order to make it flow better. In this case the pronoun is "die" because it's refering back to "die Karten" which is plural. (I'm really not very good at explaining this so perhaps somebody else can have a better go!)
SpiritedAway
:woo: i now have a new pet hate.....relative clauses :ninja:

ok, is this right.... "Wo, er sie mir geschenkt hat, sind die Karten." it is meant to be the relative clause form of, "Wo sind die Karten. Er hat sie mir geschenkt. ". :cry:

First of all, let's put this into English. A relative clause is one which, crudely, starts with "who" / "which" / "that" to give extra details about something that's just been referred to. For example, "Did you see the woman?" might become "Did you see the woman that John was talking to?"; or "We went to the cinema" might become "We went to the cinema, which is always fun". Those are relative clauses.

Your question asks you to put "Wo sind die Karten? Er hat sie mir geschenkt." into a relative clause. Fine, let's see how we'd do it in English: "Where are the cards? He gave them to me." would become "Where are the cards which he gave to me?", right? So now all we need to do is learn how to say that in German.

In most simple cases, the relative pronoun ("who" / "which" / "that" ) is translated by der, die, das or one of its forms. There's a couple of exceptions (denen is dative plural, and in the genitive plural des is replaced by dessen and der by deren), but broadly speaking it's one of those. They subordinate - that is, they send the verb to the end, just like weil does. Let's try and build this up in stages.

"Wo sind die Karten?"
"Wo sind die Karten, die... ?" ("die" is the relative pronoun here, because the cards are plural and accusative (he's sending me them))
"Wo sind die Karten, die er ... hat?" (putting in subject and verb in their right places)
"Wo sind die Karten, die er mir geschenkt hat?" (filling in the gaps)

Does that make sense?
thank you so much :hugs: i understand this so much better :biggrin:
SpiritedAway
thank you so much :hugs: i understand this so much better :biggrin:

No problem.

There are some slightly more complicated relative clauses too, but I'll wait till you ask for those. :p:
:eek:
They are only slightly more complicated. Things like "the woman who I saw John walking with", or sentences like "I went swimming, which was fun" where the "which" doesn't seem to refer back to a noun at all. But they're two quite special cases, and not really that difficult.
oh, ok. hit me and let's see if i can understand :biggrin:
SpiritedAway

I would also like to know about these =)
SpiritedAway

music is my girlfriend
I would also like to know about these =)

Ok.

The basic rule is that your clause will start with a word meaning "which", "who" or "that", which will be "der" or its variants. However, if you have a clause such as:
"This is the woman I live with."
"John has a son, who he often writes to."
the rules change slightly.

The problem here is that we can't say "Das ist die Frau, *die ich wohne mit". Firstly, it's grammatically obvious that "wohne" should be at the end; secondly, it's grammatically less immediate (but still obvious) that if you're staying with the woman, the pronoun should at least be dative, because mit takes dative, and mit should really somehow go before the pronoun. So our sentence looks like this: "Das ist die Frau, mit der ich wohne". That's grammatically correct, and you could actually easily draw the comparison between that and the rather more formal "this is the woman with whom I live". We can apply this general principle to most sentences: "John hat einen Sohn, zu dem er oft schreibt" would be acceptable for the second sentence.

The slight complication here is that, when you're talking about objects, you don't use "mit der" or "zu dem", you'd use womit (with which) or wozu (to which). The same is true for all prepositions - add wo(r)- onto the front. Examples: womit, wozu, wobei, woran, worauf, worüber. So, for example, "gib mir etwas, womit ich schreiben kann" = "give me something with which I can write" = "give me something to write with".

The final complication is irrelevant to all the above. If your "which" doesn't refer back to a specific noun in the sentence, use "was": "ich bin einkaufen gegangen, was mir Spaß gemacht hat".
:hugs: thank you. i think i love you.
i think i get it. plus you've basically explained all those 'wo~' words that have always thrown me of in reading exams :biggrin:
Thank you!

That's kind of complicated, but I do understand.
Hopefully I'll be able to use it at some point..
=)
Reply 4017
Um hi everyone. :smile: I'm kinda new here.

Anyways, I was just wondering if any one could recommend any German novels for me to read? I'm applying to some top unis, and should i get an interview, I might have to talk about some literature. But actually, I've always wanted to start reading in German, but i've always felt too intimidated.
Is there anything relatively easy for an A2 student to understand?
Any suggestions would be welcome:smile:
chan08

Anyways, I was just wondering if any one could recommend any German novels for me to read? I'm applying to some top unis, and should i get an interview, I might have to talk about some literature. But actually, I've always wanted to start reading in German, but i've always felt too intimidated.

My friend is reading 'Der Vorleser' by Schlink, she's enjoying it, but it's taking her a while.

I keep meaning to start reading some Kafka, which I was recommended by a teacher. It's slightly daunting though, as it's confusing enough in English.
chan08

I'll second der Vorleser; I haven't read it myself so don't know if it's any good, but my German teacher recommended it to me so it should be pitched at the right sort of level. "Die Verwandlung" by Kafka is quite short and interesting (I've only read it in English :p: ).

Now where is hobnob when you need her? (In fact, where is hobnob lately?)

Latest