Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Joly)
    Okay the exact context:
    [Referring to Hitler] ''His suicide marked the end of the war for Germany.''
    Telling me how to say this whole sentence would help greatly.
    I assure you you're not doing my homework for me - I have written it down but when you have the main verb missing it's kinda difficult to get right. Thanks hobnob - further help earns you further thanks.
    Right, in that case I'd go with "... läutete für Deutschland das Ende des Krieges ein".

And it's OK - this really is a bit of a tricky verb to translate, so I can see why dictionaries may not be particularly useful here.

ReputationRep:
    Ok - please don't completely rape me for my bad use of the language. This is merely my first real attempt at writing a piece of writing by myself and there is certain to be plenty of mistakes. So it'd be nice if someone could point out some things I did wrong and why they're wrong. On the other hand, I don't want the whole piece transformed into a masterful piece of biographical text far beyond my actual ability. I think you know what I mean.

Adolf Hitler war ein berüchtigt Deutsche Politiker. Hitler wurde Kanzler (?)des(?) Deutschlands von 1933 bis seinen Tod in 1945. Sein Selbstmord hat läutete für Deutschland das Endes Krieges ein.
    Während seiner Herrschaft, hat Hitler die Tode 43 Million Leute (hauptsächlich Juden) verursachen. Das ist der Holocaust (?)hiess(?).
    Er hat Eva Braun, am 29th April 1945 verheiratet. Der nächste Tag, beide Selbstmorden begehen.
    Seine beste Leistung war sein Buch, 'Mein Kampf'. Das hat 10 million Exemplare bis 1945 verkaufen.

The words I am particularly unsure of are surrounded by (?)s.

ReputationRep:
    Hallo, mein name ist Jessica. (It was my first lesson today )

ReputationRep:
    Hi Jessica , and how did it go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Didi Kule)
    Hi Jessica , and how did it go?
    It was okay, I was hoping to get more stuck in but the teachers just spent two hours telling us how hard German is. It was inspiring :rolleyes:

We did do a bit of introducing ourselves at the end but only for 15 mins so now I'm reading through today's notes to get my 'German fix'. Not the most interesting day.

Although, I just came back from my old secondary school where I was supposed to be assisting with intermediate Spanish but I found out the advanced teacher hadn't turned up so I had to make a lesson up for my first class! I'm still buzzin' lol...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xJessx)
    It was okay, I was hoping to get more stuck in but the teachers just spent two hours telling us how hard German is. It was inspiring :rolleyes:

We did do a bit of introducing ourselves at the end but only for 15 mins so now I'm reading through today's notes to get my 'German fix'. Not the most interesting day.

Although, I just came back from my old secondary school where I was supposed to be assisting with intermediate Spanish but I found out the advanced teacher hadn't turned up so I had to make a lesson up for my first class! I'm still buzzin' lol...
    Haha, it's not THAT hard once you get used to it. You'll love it

That actually sounds really fun! Maybe I should be a teacher..

I'm looking forward to when you join the rest of us, trying and often failing to string together a coherent sentence in German..
    I bet you'll improve at a depressingly fast pace, too..haha.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Joly)
    Ok - please don't completely rape me for my bad use of the language. This is merely my first real attempt at writing a piece of writing by myself and there is certain to be plenty of mistakes. So it'd be nice if someone could point out some things I did wrong and why they're wrong. On the other hand, I don't want the whole piece transformed into a masterful piece of biographical text far beyond my actual ability. I think you know what I mean.
    OK, I'll try to be nice. If anything is unclear, just ask.
    Adolf Hitler war ein berüchtigter(1) deutscher(2) Politiker.
    1. Adjective endings are a bit tricky; you need the "-er" at the end here because of the indefinite article. (For a more detailed explanation of why this is exactly you'd better ask Billy, though).
    Hitler war(3) Kanzler von Deutschland(4) von 1933 bis zu(5) seinem(6) Tod 1945(7).
    3. "Wurde" is fine if you want to say when he became chancellor, but then you can't talk about the duration of his chancellorship as well in the same sentence.
    4. "Deutschland" doesn't take an article (although some countries do - you'd say "Präsident der Tschechoslowakei", for example).
    5. "until his death" = "bis zu seinem Tod"
    6. Dative (because of the "zu")
    7. In German you don't use "in" - you could say "im Jahre 1945", but "1945" by itself is fine. "I was born in 1987" = "Ich bin 1987 geboren".
    Sein Selbstmord (8) läutete für Deutschland das Endes Krieges ein.
    8. Drop that hat. If you want to use present perfect, you'll have to change the sentence round a bit: "sein Selbstmord hat für Deutschland das Ende des Krieges eingeläutet". Simple past works better here, though, I think.
    Während seiner Herrschaft(9) hat Hitler den Tod von(10) 43 Millionen Leuten(11) (hauptsächlich Juden) verursacht(12).
    9. No comma.
    10. In German, those 43 million people all share one death - don't ask me why. I think it has something to do with speaking of death as an abstract concept here rather than a number of individual deaths.
    11. You need the dative here, because of the "von".
    12. "Verursachen" is an infinitive. You need a past participle to form the present perfect, though.
    Das nannte man den(13) Holocaust.
    13. This needs to be paraphrased in German, I'm afraid. Literally, the sentence now reads "one called that the Holocaust".
    Er hat Eva Braun, am 29.(14) April 1945 geheiratet(15).
    14. Don't forget this is a German text.
    15. "verheiraten" is what you do when you marry someone to somebody else (i.e. it's what the priest does). If you marry someone, it's just "heiraten", and the past participle (which you need because it's present perfect again) of "heiraten" is "geheiratet".
    [b]Am nächstenTag haben beide Selbstmord begangen.
    16. You weren't really trying very hard on this one, were you? "The next day" at the beginning of a sentence basically means "on the next day", and that's what it is in German: "am nächsten Tag". It's "haben... begangen", because this is - once again - present perfect. "Selbstmord" is singular, just as in English (and you wouldn't say "they committed suicides" either).
    Seine beste Leistung war sein Buch, 'Mein Kampf'.
    This is a correctly constructed sentence, but are you quite sure this is what you want to say? "Beste Leistung" has positive connotations, so it sounds as though you admire him for this "achievement".
    Bis 1945 wurden davon 10 Millionen Exemplare verkauft.
    17. This is just a fixed phrase that you use to say "it sold x copies".
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by xJessx)

Heh, that reminds me of the thrilling dialogues in my first English textbook:
    Boy #1 (speaking very slowly): Hello.
    Boy #2 (speaking equally slowly): Hello.
    Boy #1: What is your name?
    Boy #2: Kevin.
    Boy #1: I'm Ronny. Ronny Bennett.
    Oh the excitement...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Heh, that reminds me of the thrilling dialogues in my first English textbook:

Oh the excitement...:rolleyes:
    Haha, this gives me hope that one day I'll be as good at German as you are at English..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by music is my girlfriend)
    Haha, it's not THAT hard once you get used to it. You'll love it

That actually sounds really fun! Maybe I should be a teacher..

I'm looking forward to when you join the rest of us, trying and often failing to string together a coherent sentence in German..
    I bet you'll improve at a depressingly fast pace, too..haha.
    Yeah, can't wait lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joly)

Adolf Hitler war ein berüchtigt Deutsche Politiker. Hitler wurde Kanzler (?)des(?) Deutschlands von 1933 bis seinen Tod in 1945. Sein Selbstmord hat läutete für Deutschland das Endes Krieges ein.
    Während seiner Herrschaft, hat Hitler die Tode 43 Million Leute (hauptsächlich Juden) verursachen. Das ist der Holocaust (?)hiess(?).
    Er hat Eva Braun, am 29th April 1945 verheiratet. Der nächste Tag, beide Selbstmorden begehen.
    Seine beste Leistung war sein Buch, 'Mein Kampf'. Das hat 10 million Exemplare bis 1945 verkaufen.

The words I am particularly unsure of are surrounded by (?)s.
    Hallo Joly,
    I'll try: Adolf Hitler war ein (I'd leave 'berüchtigter' out, because it's too belittling) deutscher Politiker. der Politiker - ein deutscher Politiker, die Politikerin - eine deutsche Politikerin
    Hitler war deutscher Reichskanzler (Deutschlands Reichskanzler/Reichskanzler Deutschlands) von 1933 bis zu seinem Tod 1945. Sein Selbstmord läutete für Deutschland das Kriegsende ein (wäre grammatikalisch zwar richtig, inhaltlich aber eher nicht, denn der Krieg war verloren und deshalb beging er Selbstmord). Während seiner Herrschaft hat Hitler den Tod von 43 Millionen Menschen verursacht, darunter 6 Millionen Juden. Mit dem Wort 'Holocaust' bezeichnet man heute den Völkermord an den Juden. Er hat Eva Braun am 29.April geheiratet und am nächsten Tag begingen beide Selbstmord. 1924 schrieb Hitler sein Buch 'Mein Kampf', das sich bis 1945 zehn millionenmal verkauft hat. 'Seine beste Leistung ...' würde ich nicht schreiben, denn bei dem, was der gemacht hat, kann man nicht von Leistung sprechen. Das Wort ist zu positiv besetzt.

für die einzelnen Regeln s.o. hobnob fragen
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Beat you to it, grizzly.:p:

ReputationRep:
    ich habs gesehen, bin immer viel zu langsam mit meinem Zwei-Finger_Suchsystem.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by grizzlybär)
    ich habs gesehen, bin immer viel zu langsam mit meinem Zwei-Finger_Suchsystem.
    Ich tippe meistens auch nur mit sechs Fingern, aus Bequemlichkeit. Ich habe es zwar irgendwann mal "richtig" gelernt, aber beim Zehnfinger-Schreiben vertue ich mich dauernd, und ich muß häufiger überlegen, weil mir einfach die Übung fehlt. Also bin ich damit letztendlich langsamer.
    Zur Sekretärin eigne ich mich also schon mal nicht...:p:

ReputationRep:
    mein Sohnemann hat von der Schule mal ein Schreibprogramm mit nach Hause gebracht. Damit hab ich dann fleißig geübt und es auch bis auf 6 Finger gebracht. Aber wenn man da nicht ständig dabeibleibt, vergisst man es wieder. Es ist allerdings erstaunlich, wie schnell das im Grunde doch geht: die Augen sehen den Buchstaben und der richtige Finger tippt auf drauflos, ohne hingucken

inzwischen bin ich allerdings wieder bei 2, höchstens 4 Fingern gelandet, ansonsten gibts zu viele Fehler und außerdem muss ich die Tastatur dabei anschaun; das gäb sonst nur Kauderwelsch.

ReputationRep:
    hey, does anyone know the slogan for Porsche cars in German trying to find it on google.de but it's all too overwhelming...but i can find the english one :/

ReputationRep:
    I know they used this once

Fahren in seiner schönsten Form

but not sure when..

What's the English one? Oh wait, is it that class of its own one...

Don't they tend to change them? Cos I'm finding different ones...

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i pressume so because i have found "there is No Substitute"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    yeah, i pressume so because i have found "there is No Substitute"
    Ah yes. I was thinking of rover hahah bit of a difference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    hey, does anyone know the slogan for Porsche cars in German trying to find it on google.de but it's all too overwhelming...but i can find the english one :/
    Hi SpiritedAway,

I've found a few: Fahren in seiner schönsten Form.
    In einem Porsche fährt man bequemer als die meisten, die man überholt.
    Gutes Design ist die Dominanz des Ganzen über die einzelnen Teile
    So baut man Sportwagen.
    Nichts bringt schöner in Fahrt.

and I've heard of one, but this one's taking the mickey out of Porsche drivers:
    Früher wars der forsche Pimmel, heute ists der Porschefimmel.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2013

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.