Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    does this sound right to you guys?
    "Porsche war eine sehr wichtige Partner mit Volkwagen und hat sogar das VW Beetle Auto mit Volkswagen in 1933 gemacht.

In 1939 F. Porsche hat seine erstan Rennauto bebaut und in 1946 hat ihr sine erstan Großer Preis Auto gebaut."

ReputationRep:
    Hallo everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    does this sound right to you guys?
    "Porsche war eine sehr wichtige Partner mit Volkwagen und hat sogar das VW Beetle Auto mit Volkswagen in 1933 gemacht.

In 1939 F. Porsche hat seine erstan Rennauto bebaut und in 1946 hat ihr sine erstan Großer Preis Auto gebaut."
    This is what I think is wrong, but native speakers may get me:

1) Partner is (I think) masculine, and "Gesellschafter" would be a better technical term. (with "von" not "mit")
    2) machen would be better as "herstellen" or "konstruktieren"
    3) Years do not need a preposition. No "in"s.
    4) You need to reverse word order at the start of para 2, so that the verb is second. So "1939 hat Porsche..."
    5) Cars are always masculine, so "seinen ersten".
    6) bauen seems weird to me, I'd use herstellen again.
    7) The rest doesn't make sense to me. "Ihr"? Someone changes gender?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Are those "erstan" things meant to be "sein erstes Rennauto" and "sein erster... (whatever that is)"? "Erst" is the adjective.

(Original post by *Dreamer*)
    Hallo everyone!
    Hallo, Träumerin. Wie geht's dir? Was hast du heute gemacht?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    In German, "VW Beetle" only refers to the new car, by the way. The original VW Beetle is only ever called "VW Käfer" (or just "Käfer" ) in German.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    In German, "VW Beetle" only refers to the new car, by the way. The original VW Beetle is only ever called "VW Käfer" (or just "Käfer" ) in German.
    Oh Nobiness, a brace of queries. Makes of car are masculine, makes of motorcyle feminine:
    1) Is this right?
    2) WHY!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Da Bachtopus)
    Oh Nobiness, a brace of queries. Makes of car are masculine, makes of motorcyle feminine:
    1) Is this right?
    2) WHY!?
    It is right...though asking why is much like asking why other nouns are masculine and feminine. Though it's probably due to quite chauvinistic reasoning, such as motorcycles get ridden :-/
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    1) Is this right?
    Yes, with the possible exception of "die Isetta" (although there you might argue that it wasn't really a proper car).
    2) WHY!?
    God knows. Why are countries female?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, with the possible exception of "die Isetta" (although there you might argue that it wasn't really a proper car).

God knows. Why are countries female?
    Yea, but I was asking because motorcycles and cars are much newer than German, whereas counties aren't. So you can't just say "arbitrary historical reason" and get away with it (maybe). I'm guessing at some point a group of men in suits sat down at a long polished table and Worked This **** Out.

You see why I ask?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleece)
    It is right...though asking why is much like asking why other nouns are masculine and feminine. Though it's probably due to quite chauvinistic reasoning, such as motorcycles get ridden :-/
    That is actually what I thought.

What is "sidecar"? And it's gender?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    That is actually what I thought.

What is "sidecar"? And it's gender?
    Der Beiwagen.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yea, but I was asking because motorcycles and cars are much newer than German, whereas counties aren't. So you can't just say "arbitrary historical reason" and get away with it (maybe). I'm guessing at some point a group of men in suits sat down at a long polished table and Worked This **** Out.

You see why I ask?
    Hmm, it may just have something to do with the fact that cars and motorcycles are marketed a bit differently. But I'm not so sure there's a deeper logic to it, really.

ReputationRep:
    I think of two possibilities: 1) the gender of cars refers to the gender of "wagen" and likewise by the motocycles (machine?) 2) in my native language Dutch, cars are also masculine and motocycles feminine, so it could hardly be a coincidence. Maybe the genders were, just like the words, borrowed from the original language.

ReputationRep:
    Guten Abend, Leute! =D

I was just wondering, do you think it's worth to buy a book of German Verbs as a reference book? if so, do you have any recommendations? I found this "collin's easy learning German Verbs" quite good but I don't know.. =/

Also, does any of you know where you can find german grammar activity books (for A-level)? As in ones that helps you to perfect your adjective endings, determiners, tenses, verbs and etc?

Danke.

ReputationRep:
    Der Beiwagen.
    Besser ein Beiwagen, als eine Straßenbahn zu sein.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Besser ein Beiwagen, als eine Straßenbahn zu sein.
    [nitpick]Besser ein Beiwagen zu sein als eine Straßenbahn.[/nitpick]
    Sorry.

Und warum genau willst du keine Straßenbahn sein? Weil du dann immer in der Spur bleiben müßtest?:p:

ReputationRep:
    [nitpick]Besser ein Beiwagen zu sein als eine Straßenbahn.[/nitpick]
    Sorry.

Und warum genau willst du keine Straßenbahn sein? Weil du dann immer in der Spur bleiben müßtest?:p:
    Ich hatte gehofft, dass meine zweite Bedeutung deutlich durchleuchten würde. Mann fährt mit dem Beiwagen nur "an der Seite", aber die Straßenbahn wird von aller Leute richtig befahren. Die beide sind unartig: der Beiwagen eine Art von "Fremdwagen", aber die Straßenbahn am saloppsten, ist!

(I am so sorry for the violence I've doubtlessly done above, let alone my crude sexual humour. At least I'm having fun )
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Ich hatte gehofft, dass meine zweite Bedeutung deutlich durchleuchten würde. Mann fährt mit dem Beiwagen nur "an der Seite", aber die Straßenbahn wird von aller Leute richtig befahren. Die beide sind unartig: der Beiwagen eine Art von "Fremdwagen", aber die Straßenbahn am saloppsten, ist!

(I am so sorry for the violence I've doubtlessly done above, let alone my crude sexual humour. At least I'm having fun )
    Erm, I'm afraid I still don't quite see what you're getting at...:confused: Do I want to know?

ReputationRep:
    Erm, I'm afraid I still don't quite see what you're getting at...:confused: Do I want to know?
    Probably not. I was trying to extend the notion of motorcyles as "ridden" in a sexual sense to sidecars, which obviously represent a bit of side-riding, and thought that maybe to fremdvogeln was at least better than to let everyone ride you up and down the street.

Does this humour not work in (i) German, (ii) my German, or (iii) is my material not up to scratch?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Probably not. I was trying to extend the notion of motorcyles as "ridden" in a sexual sense to sidecars, which obviously represent a bit of side-riding, and thought that maybe to fremdvogeln was at least better than to let everyone ride you up and down the street.

Does this humour not work in (i) German, (ii) my German, or (iii) is my material not up to scratch?
    Ah, right. Well, I don't think it would work in German, because in German you don't really use "reiten" for any means of transport other than horses, so the dirty joke kind of fails. You'd say "Motorrad fahren" / "im Beiwagen mitfahren" / "Straßenbahn fahren", and none of that has any sexual connotations as far as I'm aware. Sorry. You'll find other ways of being suggestive in German, though, I'm sure.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2013

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.