Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by wtid)
    Hmmm, I have a grammar book but I'd prefer to learn vocab first. My grammar is good enough to get my message across, which is all I need for now. Vocab is more useful because I want to be able to better converse with my girlfriends parents. Like I say, they can understand me with my current grammer, but it limits conversation when my vocab is smaller.
    Mmm. The problem is that, without a good grasp of grammar, you can't really pick up vocab in any interesting way other than through vocabulary books, which are (a) dull, (b) ambiguous in their definitions of words, (c) not always correct or particularly helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Mmm. The problem is that, without a good grasp of grammar, you can't really pick up vocab in any interesting way other than through vocabulary books, which are (a) dull, (b) ambiguous in their definitions of words, (c) not always correct or particularly helpful.
    Yes I can imagine that's true. I think you do have a point with the reading a book idea though. I might get a German book for Christmas, like you say CATCF may be a good start, or even a Harry Potter book. Thanks for the suggestion
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by wtid)
    Yes I can imagine that's true. I think you do have a point with the reading a book idea though. I might get a German book for Christmas, like you say CATCF may be a good start, or even a Harry Potter book. Thanks for the suggestion
    Well, good luck if you pick Harry Potter, because I can imagine that being fairly difficult...

ReputationRep:
    Well, good luck if you pick Harry Potter, because I can imagine that being fairly difficult...
    Fair enough, I'll go with Faust then instead

No, I'm first going to start with kids books. You know like Biff and Kipper, those ones we used to read at infants? Don't know if you ever read them, you're a bit younger than me :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by wtid)
    Fair enough, I'll go with Faust then instead

No, I'm first going to start with kids books. You know like Biff and Kipper, those ones we used to read at infants? Don't know if you ever read them, you're a bit younger than me :p:
    I know the ones, yes. :p: And you say that sarcastically, but it's not actually that bad a place to start! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I know the ones, yes. :p: And you say that sarcastically, but it's not actually that bad a place to start! :p:
    Haha I think I'll go a bit above that, "The brown dog" and "The blue ball" are a bit below my level (I hope!) I miss those books, they were cool! I want to be that age again :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I know the feeling. :p:

Selwyn Snowball was amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtid)
    Haha I think I'll go a bit above that, "The brown dog" and "The blue ball" are a bit below my level (I hope!) I miss those books, they were cool! I want to be that age again :p:
    Faust is hard, too hard as a 'first attempt' at a real book: I've read bits in German, but it's got quite a large vocabulary of 'poetic' words which won't necessarily be that useful. Definitely something to aim for. But it's not going to be that useful either reading something absolutely trivial.

FWIW, I found Hesse just about the right level when I was at this stage: simple syntax, not too many difficult words, but enough "advanced" vocabulary which is repeated to be useful. His mysticism is kind of annoying though. What do you like reading normally? I think HP would probably be easier than Der Steppenwolf though, so dunno...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Da Bachtopus)
    Faust is hard, too hard as a 'first attempt' at a real book: I've read bits in German, but it's got quite a large vocabulary of 'poetic' words which won't necessarily be that useful. Definitely something to aim for. But it's not going to be that useful either reading something absolutely trivial.
    :ditto:
    And obviously it's written in late 18th/early 19th-century German, so it isn't really ideal.
    FWIW, I found Hesse just about the right level when I was at this stage: simple syntax, not too many difficult words, but enough "advanced" vocabulary which is repeated to be useful. His mysticism is kind of annoying though. What do you like reading normally? I think HP would probably be easier than Der Steppenwolf though, so dunno...
    Hesse's an excellent suggestion. Maybe not Steppenwolf, but something like Demian or Unterm Rad should be good beginners' texts, because as you say, his language is fairly straightforward on the whole, but still has some challenging bits.

I'm not so sure about HP, though, because quite a lot of things (like characters' names, for example) can't really be translated, so the text may not actually feel as familiar as people might think...

ReputationRep:
    Eeeek, and there you have me...thinking of giving German poetry a go.XD
    (looks I better brush up on my gramma/vocab/and etc first.. :ninja:).

@generalebriety:
    Sorry about this belated reply, but thank you for answering me questions a few pages back! =D
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Kein Problem.

Morgen ziehe ich wieder nach Hause. Bah - das Weihnachtsfröhlichkeitsgefühl hört hier auf. Ich habe noch nicht mal angefangen, alles einzupacken...

ReputationRep:
    Hey, hallo, is noch jemand wach?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Ja, ich. :wavey: Wie geht's dir?

ReputationRep:
    Oh guuuuut, abgesehen davon, dass ich wieder ein Stück weiter bin mit meiner Lernerei
    bin ich glaub ich auch ein bisschen bedudelt.

ReputationRep:
    Oh Mann, in drei Tagen hab ich Geburtstag und werd' 43, ich kann's nich fassen.

ReputationRep:
    Been studying German cinema in film and German history in...history. It's given me this urge to learn some basics again.

(I did it at gcse.)
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Heh. Mein viertes Trimester ist gerade zu Ende gekommen, und dann ist es Weihnachten, und ein paar Wochen später hab ich die Hälfte meines Studiums hier in Cambridge hinter mir. Gott, wie die Zeit schnell vergeht...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by laughingwithpicasso)
    Been studying German cinema in film and German history in...history. It's given me this urge to learn some basics again.

(I did it at gcse.)
    Welcome to the society. Bist du in der Schule oder an der Uni?

ReputationRep:
    Hallo laughingwithpicasso,
    was studiert man denn in 'German cinema in film'? und was macht ihr gerade in deutscher Geschichte?

ReputationRep:
    Heh. Mein viertes Trimester ist gerade zu Ende gekommen, und dann ist es Weihnachten, und ein paar Wochen später hab ich die Hälfte meines Studiums hier in Cambridge hinter mir. Gott, wie die Zeit schnell vergeht...
    Ich stehe gerade vor der Entscheidung, ob ich mich als ordentlicher Student einschreibe, oder weiterhin 'Gasthörer' bleibe. Ordentlicher Student heißt mit Klausur und Prüfung und allem Zick und Zack und davor graut es mir ehrlich gesagt ein wenig. Gasthörer (neuerdings nennt sich das Akademiestudent) heißt alles durcharbeiten, aber ohne Klausur und Prüfung, aber auch ohne Abschluss. Ich bin hin und her gerissen. Wenn ich mich schon durch das Studium 'quäle', dann gefälligst auch mit Stempel und Unterschrift. Aber ich weiss nicht, ob ich den Prüfungssituationen gewachsen bin. Och ........ was mach ich bloß?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2013

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.