This discussion is closed.
member216084
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Danke schön. Aber...
Why does 'darum' come into it?
As far as I knew 'darum' means 'therefore' or 'that's why'. What does it mean in this context?
Meela
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No, in this context "darum" means something like "it". It just sounds better and more natural than "kümmert es nicht" which you could say too.

Hmm, "that's the point" is, for example, "darum geht es".

It's definitely not a general rule. You just can't substitute "it" with "darum" whenever you like.
I guess keeping in mind that it's the answer to the question "Warum?" helps.
This is why " warum? darum!" is a perfect translation of "why? because!".

Did this make any sense to you?
member216084
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I can easily see how "darum geht es" means "that's the point" but I'm still not quite sure how, in this context, 'darum' can translate to 'it'.
Maybe it is because my clause wasn't the answer to a 'warum' question. It was actually following on from 'Bad acting makes it unrealistic' and looking back it'd make more sense to say 'but most people don't care about that'. Apologies for overcomplicating things.

On an entirely different note, we are swiftly approaching the 5000th post of this thread and I for one believe it should be somewhat epic. We can not simply ignore it. :p:
Languagesfreak
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We need to celebrate it with some crazy German grammar.
wtid
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Meela)
No, in this context "darum" means something like "it". It just sounds better and more natural than "kümmert es nicht" which you could say too.

Hmm, "that's the point" is, for example, "darum geht es".

It's definitely not a general rule. You just can't substitute "it" with "darum" whenever you like.
I guess keeping in mind that it's the answer to the question "Warum?" helps.
This is why " warum? darum!" is a perfect translation of "why? because!".

Did this make any sense to you?
Are you German? Just wondering
Languagesfreak
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by wtid)
Are you German? Just wondering
Yeah I think she is.. either that or she's crazily good at it
Meela
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes, I am... I never noticed German grammer is that interesting until I found this thread But I still don't get why all of you like German so much- I tend to prefer English.
Languagesfreak
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Congratulations on the 5,000th post!
Meela
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
wow, I didn't even realize it. I feel honoured though^^
Languagesfreak
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Meela)
wow, I didn't even realize it. I feel honoured though^^
You should. We all honour you!
wtid
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Meela)
Yes, I am... I never noticed German grammer is that interesting until I found this thread But I still don't get why all of you like German so much- I tend to prefer English.
My girlfriend is German, I have to like it
Meela
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Are you that whipped?^^ Just kidding, it can be a beautiful language but most of the time the words just sound ugly.
Take the word "Gabel" for an example. It sounds harsh and agressive whereas the word "fork" seems to be cuter and sweeter.
But maybe I just like your language a bit too much^^
Languagesfreak
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by wtid)
My girlfriend is German, I have to like it
Gives you a good excuse to practise it I suppose :p:
SpiritedAway
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i like the word 'gabel' as opposed to 'fork' i think that 'gabel' sounds pretty and 'fork' sounds a little harsh. :/
wtid
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by SpiritedAway)
i like the word 'gabel' as opposed to 'fork' i think that 'gabel' sounds pretty and 'fork' sounds a little harsh. :/
ich auch. However "kotzen" sounds worse than "to be sick" imo :p:

I do think a lot of the time German sounds a very angry language, but it depends who's speaking it I guess. Something I often wonder is, do I (or we, I think many people think it sounds harsh) have negative connotations about it because it just generally is angry sounding, or is it to do with the fact that unfortunately German is synonomous with nazis and Hitler, therefore somewhere in our minds it's associated with evil?
wtid
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Languagesfreak)
Gives you a good excuse to practise it I suppose :p:
No the excuse is that her mum and all her family except her dad and sister don't speak English, so in order to communicate with them, I have to learn :p: I lived there for a combined total of maybe 9 months, I couldn't really spend the whole time ignoring her mum
SpiritedAway
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by wtid)

I do think a lot of the time German sounds a very angry language, but it depends who's speaking it I guess. Something I often wonder is, do I (or we, I think many people think it sounds harsh) have negative connotations about it because it just generally is angry sounding, or is it to do with the fact that unfortunately German is synonomous with nazis and Hitler, therefore somewhere in our minds it's associated with evil?
hmmmmm :beard:

ja, 'to be sick' ist ein nettes Wort als 'kotzen'
Meela
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by wtid)

But "puke" sounds better?^^

Hmm, I only think there are certain words that sound harsh (like Gabel) but when I talk to other or hear myself speaking I never think that it's an angry language or even evil. But I guess I am a bit biased
I think that people who aren't native speakers always sense the language in a different way.
Take the discussion about "Gabel" and "fork". Fork sounds sweet and cute to me because of the r. Almost every English word seems to be soft considering that you pronounce the words differently.
Maybe it's because the insight of the language lacks.
SpiritedAway
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
nein, "puke" ist nicht ein nettes Wort

aber, ja, ich glaube, dass einige Wörte hässlich sind, aber es ist gleich in Englisch.
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by wtid)

I think that phrase from Jane Eyre sums it up quite nicely: "crabbed but glorious Deutsch".
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (529)
80.27%
Leave (130)
19.73%

Watched Threads