Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ich hasse alle Rockmusik. Deutsch oder Englisch. Aber ich gern Fotos - sie sind mehr Indie in meiner Meinung

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    Ich hasse alle Rockmusik. Deutsch oder Englisch. Aber ich gern Fotos - sie sind mehr Indie in meiner Meinung
    missing a verb in there somewhere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    Aye, you do tend to use 'gern' as a verb a lot. It's an adverb, roughly translated as 'gladly' I think. E.g. Ich spiele gern Fußball which makes sense. Ich gern Fußball does not make sense. (I gladly football).
    I think 'Ich mag Fotos' is what you wanted to say

Additionally I've always thought you should say 'meiner Meinung nach' rather than 'in meiner Meinung'.

EDIT: Oops, well spotted hannah.

ReputationRep:
    Its meiner Meinung nach technically (trying not to be snobish!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Didi Kule)
    I know , had a lot on my mind lately with papers (for German!), exams etc. cause I organised my year that most of my modules are/were in the first semester, so my second semester will be more doable. How are you? What have I missed in here?
    Hi Didi Kule,

I only stop by here every now and then, I'm not in on what's going on around here. I know that wtid spent Christmas with his girlfriend at her parents' home in Germany. Haven't heard from Fleece lately.
    Generalebriety where are you?
    I watched "League of Gentlemen" on TV, weird. Do you know it?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by grizzlybär)
    :wavey:

League of Gentlemen is excellent.

How are you, grizzlybär?

ReputationRep:
    I'm fine, generalebriety. I'm behind with my studies, haven't even read all the manuscripts,
    no reason to panic ,exam isn't until march.
    League of Gentlemen was aired in German so I guess most of the jokes got lost in translation. Never heard of them before. How are you?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm fine, generalebriety. I'm behind with my studies, haven't even read all the manuscripts,
    no reason to panic ,exam isn't until march.
    League of Gentlemen was aired in German so I guess most of the jokes got lost in translation. Never heard of them before. How are you?
    I'm fine thanks. Overworked as always. I really should do more work, but for some reason sleep is so much more appealing.

ReputationRep:
    We all should do more work, shouldn't we? It's two o clock in the morning, why aren't you sleeping then?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!
    I need a bit of help with translation. I'm finding it really tough to translate a sentence with "dafür", especially when followed by dass.
    For example... "Er war dafür, dass der Mensch.....blablabla"
    I translated this as "He was in favour of the view that human beings.....". This was the best I could do, even though it doesn't stick to the text as much as I would like it to.

Finally, there's one sentence I have been literally trying to dissect for hours:
    "Aber natürlich sind das moderne Ideen eines Lebensfreundes"
    Not only is the word "Lebensfreundes" left out of every dictionary on the face of the earth, the sentence itself is grammatically complex. Does das agree with Ideen? It can't as Ideen is plural, but then why "sind" and not "ist"?

Any help would be very very much appreciated!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by 1361)
    Hi everyone!
    I need a bit of help with translation. I'm finding it really tough to translate a sentence with "dafür", especially when followed by dass.
    For example... "Er war dafür, dass der Mensch.....blablabla"
    I translated this as "He was in favour of the view that human beings.....". This was the best I could do, even though it doesn't stick to the text as much as I would like it to.
    Depends on the rest of the sentence. Can you change that subordinate clause into a noun phrase? (For example: "er war dafür, dass man Cannabis legalisiert" could be translated as "he was for / in favour of the legalisation of cannabis".) If not, then your translation is about as good as you get; it's not particularly snappy, but I don't think you lose any meaning through it.

(Original post by 1361)
    Finally, there's one sentence I have been literally trying to dissect for hours:
    "Aber natürlich sind das moderne Ideen eines Lebensfreundes"
    Not only is the word "Lebensfreundes" left out of every dictionary on the face of the earth, the sentence itself is grammatically complex. Does das agree with Ideen? It can't as Ideen is plural, but then why "sind" and not "ist"?
    Well, "Lebensfreund" obviously means more or less someone who's quite fond of life; without any context, I could guess at optimist, idealist, etc.?

"Das sind..." is "that is...", when the complement is plural. It's the plural of "das ist", when the "das" doesn't refer to any specific noun. I suppose technically it does agree with "Ideen", but that's not helpful; the phrase means "but of course that's (or, in context, those/these are) modern ideas...".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joly)
    Aye, you do tend to use 'gern' as a verb a lot. It's an adverb, roughly translated as 'gladly' I think. E.g. Ich spiele gern Fußball which makes sense. Ich gern Fußball does not make sense. (I gladly football).
    I think 'Ich mag Fotos' is what you wanted to say

Additionally I've always thought you should say 'meiner Meinung nach' rather than 'in meiner Meinung'.

EDIT: Oops, well spotted hannah.
    yeah, i did think it was a verb :o: thanks, i shall use mag from now on
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Joly)
    Sort of. But you usually use it as an approximate translation of "to like doing something", for which there's no real verb in German. Which is why "I like playing football" = "Ich spiele gerne Fußball".

ReputationRep:
    Hi Didi Kule,

I only stop by here every now and then, I'm not in on what's going on around here. I know that wtid spent Christmas with his girlfriend at her parents' home in Germany. Haven't heard from Fleece lately.
    Hey grizzly...how are you?

Things have been a bit hectic here. Went to Australia for 3 weeks over Christmas and New Year, managed to get Bronchitis so have been recuperating and now I'm working hard writing essays about Rudi Dutschke and contemporary German literature. Phew!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -*Nate*-)
    Ich mag Rammstein nicht, weil Sie so... (weird) ist...
    Ich mag Rammstein nicht, weil sie so komisch sind

I assume you know why and they were silly mistakes, since you said you got B at AS :p:

ReputationRep:
    only vaguely, isn't it a BBC sitcom?
    I really should me learning right now, the stress is building up for my exam tomorrow, but TSR is so tempting...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleece)
    Hey grizzly...how are you?

Things have been a bit hectic here. Went to Australia for 3 weeks over Christmas and New Year, managed to get Bronchitis so have been recuperating and now I'm working hard writing essays about Rudi Dutschke and contemporary German literature. Phew!
    Hi Fleece,
    I'm fine thanks. Hope you're well again, too. We spent Christmas and New Years Eve very peaceful with family and friends. No stress, no surely to be disappointed high expectations, all in all very smooth.
    But also I haven't studied as much as I should have, so I'm behind and I dread the exam in march. It's been so long that I had to pass an exam, more than 20 years, I hope I won't get a heart attack. At least I will know if this whole studying thing wasn't only a crackpot idea of mine.
    Uhh, Rudi Dutschke, very leftist. What do you think about him?
    I'm always highly suspicious if someone claims to know better what it's all about. I wish you have lots of brilliant ideas with your essays, because right now I myself am experiencing the devastating feeling of missing any kind of inspiration. Bad feeling! Hopefully it'll pass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Didi Kule)
    I really should me learning right now, the stress is building up for my exam tomorrow, but TSR is so tempting...
    You are so right!
    I will keep my fingers crossed for you ( soll heißen: ich werde Dir die Daumen drücken)

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't Ich spiele gern Tennis for example mean I like playing tennis? But hey everyone Wie geht's euch?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -*Nate*-)
    Doesn't Ich spiele gern Tennis for example mean I like playing tennis? But hey everyone Wie geht's euch?
    Hallo *Nate*, genau das meint es.
    Also, mir geht es gut.
    Ich ignoriere das immer wieder aufkommende Gefühl von Panik, wenn ich an meine Klausur im März denke, so gut ich kann.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2013

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.