Wrong - "der Schaschlik".:p:
    and "das Schaschlik"
    And "das Rührei"
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Languagesfreak)
    That's probably because it's "der Kebap"
    I think it's because it's "der Spieß", actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    I think it's because it's "der Spieß", actually.
    Mag sein! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mister ex)
    well, i know of quite a few nouns such as der: Kaffee, Tisch, Garten.... die Tasse, Strasse, Schule.... das Essen, Computer, Madchen etc, but i tend to get very confused when you get nouns which dont follow the guideline rules which i know of. i have found however, that the best way to learn genders is to learn the article with the noun, its helped me build up quite a good span of nouns, but, when speaking the language, i have to pause to think what gender it is, i'd like to just know them like the back of my hand

yep, the gender of the nouns

what was the song you learnt
    It was just all the endings in the grammar section in the Zeitgeist put together with a rhyming tune. I learn most of my german grammar by song or rhyme :redface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mister ex)
    well, i know of quite a few nouns such as der: Kaffee, Tisch, Garten.... die Tasse, Strasse, Schule.... das Essen, Computer, Madchen etc, but i tend to get very confused when you get nouns which dont follow the guideline rules which i know of. i have found however, that the best way to learn genders is to learn the article with the noun, its helped me build up quite a good span of nouns, but, when speaking the language, i have to pause to think what gender it is, i'd like to just know them like the back of my hand
    Maybe it'll come with practice. When I was learning new vocab for A Level I always used to write little coloured cards. That might help you?

I just watched "Das Leben der Anderen" again in prep for a debate I need to record for discourse analysis tomorrow. I cried.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by 1Mperios)
    Wie lange wohnst du schon hier in England?
    Ich bin Engländer, ich hab nie irgendwoanders gewohnt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Ich bin Engländer, ich hab nie irgendwoanders gewohnt.
    loool dafuer sprichst du aber sehr gut Deutsch

ReputationRep:
    Good opening paragraph for an essay?

Zuallererst sollte man nicht vergessen, dass Deutschland und Berlin bereits seit etwa 15 Jahren aufgeteilt hatten. Die politischen Spannungen zwischen gleich der DDR als auch der BRD wurden damals zunehmend intensiver und der Schluß war folglich ein absoluter Höhepunkt, als die Berliner Mauer 1961 gebaut wurde. Das hatte zur Folge, dass die Leute der zwei gesonderten Städten sehr verschiedene Lagen lebten

ReputationRep:
    Yahoo, hihi hahu hooowwwwwll!!!
    oh what a day!I'm unreasonably intoxicated right now. I had told you I would have an exam today? well, it's done now. I had an awful long day. Left early this morning and just returned an hour ago.
    What a defeat, I completely lost the track of time and wasted way too much of it on my concept.
    So there wasn't left enough for the actual answers. Four hours of intensive thinking and writing,
    my brain feels like a grilled marshmallow. I'm going to get even more drunk now I've earnt myself this blissfull state of unawareness. Jesus I'm such an idiot. Last hope I have is, that the prof will include my concept papers. Well at least I now know that scaling(?) of time is what I have to work on.
    I'm completely exhausted and overly tense at the same time. This is so embarressing, I should have put another name on the papers, put on my sunglasses, turn up the collar of my coat and leave unnoticed. "Howls like a lonely wolf" cheers!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Modestmouse)
    Good opening paragraph for an essay?

Zuallererst sollte man nicht vergessen, dass Deutschland und Berlin bereits seit etwa 15 Jahren aufgeteilt hatten. Die politischen Spannungen zwischen gleich der DDR als auch der BRD wurden damals zunehmend intensiver und der Schluß war folglich ein absoluter Höhepunkt, als die Berliner Mauer 1961 gebaut wurde. Das hatte zur Folge, dass die Leute der zwei gesonderten Städten sehr verschiedene Lagen lebten
    nah not good for an opening

> Deutschland und Berlin haben sich seit etwa 15 Jahren aufgeteilt. Die politischen Spannungen zwischen gleich der DDR als auch der BRD wurden damals zunehmend intensiver und der Schluß war folglich ein absoluter Höhepunkt, als die Berliner Mauer 1961 gebaut wurde. Das hatte zur Folge, dass die Leute der zwei gesonderten Städten sehr verschiedene Lagen lebten.

At the beginning always state a fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grizzlybär)
    Yahoo, hihi hahu hooowwwwwll!!!
    oh what a day!I'm unreasonably intoxicated right now. I had told you I would have an exam today? well, it's done now. I had an awful long day. Left early this morning and just returned an hour ago.
    What a defeat, I completely lost the track of time and wasted way too much of it on my concept.
    So there wasn't left enough for the actual answers. Four hours of intensive thinking and writing,
    my brain feels like a grilled marshmallow. I'm going to get even more drunk now I've earnt myself this blissfull state of unawareness. Jesus I'm such an idiot. Last hope I have is, that the prof will include my concept papers. Well at least I now know that scaling(?) of time is what I have to work on.
    I'm completely exhausted and overly tense at the same time. This is so embarressing, I should have put another name on the papers, put on my sunglasses, turn up the collar of my coat and leave unnoticed. "Howls like a lonely wolf" cheers!!!!
    So how is your head today? I know it's actually 2 days later, but with the amount of alcohol it sounded like you intended to drink, I wouldn't be surprised if you are still hung over! When will you find out the results?

So what about the events that occured in your neck of the woods yesterday...that's quite near to where you live, as far as I remember? Is the school very close?

ReputationRep:
    Wer hier schaut sich Stromberg an??
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by wannabe mexican)
    Wer hier schaut sich Stromberg an??
    Wer oder was ist das?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Wer oder was ist das?:confused:
    Es ist wie The Office. Ist echt witzig. Der Chef, Herr Stromberg ist wirklich ein Arschloch!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Es ist wie The Office. Ist echt witzig. Der Chef, Herr Stromberg ist wirklich ein Arschloch!!
    Ach richtig. Das ist das mit diesem RTL(?)-Menschen mit dem stieren Blick, oder? Nicht so ganz mein Fall, fürchte ich...

ReputationRep:
    Was heißt "Arschloch" auf englisch

Edit: nevermind....found it :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    Was heißt "Arschloch" auf englisch

Edit: nevermind....found it :shifty:
    hehe, it is one of my favourite german words.

ReputationRep:
    hehe, it is one of my favourite german words.
    The bad thing about swear words in German is, I have no feeling of them being bad, so I may jokingly say something like Arschloch, or ...F***e (guess :tongue:) when my girlfriends family are around, forgetting that it's really bad to them! Same for her - my parents never say s**t, but she uses it with me and then when my parents are around, forgets that it's actually bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtid)
    The bad thing about swear words in German is, I have no feeling of them being bad, so I may jokingly say something like Arschloch, or ...F***e (guess :tongue:) when my girlfriends family are around, forgetting that it's really bad to them! Same for her - my parents never say s**t, but she uses it with me and then when my parents are around, forgets that it's actually bad.
    I found Germans are more desensitized to swearing than we are. I had a German friend who wouldgive presentations here and, to get everyone's attention would begin with a quote from Emanuelle Kant...

ReputationRep:
    Haha, when I was on an exchange last year one of the boys from year 7, that went stayed with this kid who taught him several swear words and certain phrases, (as did several other kids) but this one boy decided to tell the English student a fake translation. So this poor english student was saying things like "fick" thinking it meant something else to the boy's parents :rofl:. He also said something to the conductor on the train and the whole carriage-box-thing we were sat in just went silent, and our german teacher had to appologise immensely for whatever he had called her :laugh:.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2013

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.