Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Well, don't swear in front of her family, then. :p: The registers of swear words (and of colloquialisms of all sorts) are very difficult to determine even as a native speaker (is "bloody" a swear word or not? I know a lot of people who'd be quite happy to say "pissed off" even in a relatively formal context, and some who'd never dream of letting their formality slip for a second).
    :ditto:
    I'm probably far too formal in both languages, but I just don't feel comfortable swearing - without realising it, I must have had an excessively polite upbringing and I can't go against it now... As a result, the absolute worst you'll hear me say will be something like "bloody" or "damn" (or the German equivalents). I doubt I'd be able to to offend anyone but Queen Victoria even if I tried.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Fleece)
    Dunno...I'm not sure they even have the whole Rudolph thing...
    Not originally, no. But I suppose people will be more familiar with it now, what with all those Disney films etc.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Haha oh god. It does make you wonder sometimes. Mind you, same goes for you Germans not doing your research :p: I saw a can of Black ******* once. And also things like Big Willy (der Super Spender) aren't so brilliant to have in a toilet...
    :rofl:
    Indeed - that must be one of the most embarassing translation mistakes of the past 20 years...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtid)
    So how is your head today? I know it's actually 2 days later, but with the amount of alcohol it sounded like you intended to drink, I wouldn't be surprised if you are still hung over! When will you find out the results?

So what about the events that occured in your neck of the woods yesterday...that's quite near to where you live, as far as I remember? Is the school very close?
    Hi wtid,
    I only had two glasses of red wine and then changed to beer, so no headache the next day. Didn't drink too much, I intented to but I didn't. The thought that the exam has my name on it still makes me feel embarressed, but, well, I simply blame it on the fact that it was my first exam in more than 20 years. I had no idea what to expect and wasn't as well prepared as I had planned. So I have to repeat it someday. I'm pretty sure that I failed, we find out the results in about 8-10 weeks (but i rather not know it).
    You're right it is quite near where we live. I was shocked. I have two sons, they both still attend school. It's not safe anymore. I don't know what to think. We had a discussion at home, because they too play those stupid computer games. I realize that one cannot blame it all on those games, but they are unhelpfully. I don't know what makes somebody do such a terrible thing.

ReputationRep:
    I got 110/120 in the A2 Writing paper, yay

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing coursework instead of a written exam this year; one piece on the connection between the media and violence amongst young people, which is finished as of yesterday (:teeth:) and I'm still persuading my German teacher to let me do German lit. for my second piece . But last year I was just one mark away from an A -- which is quite gutting.

Congrats anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Languagesfreak)
    I got 110/120 in the A2 Writing paper, yay
    Wow well done.

I just realised today that I do 100% of my german AS in the space of 4 days. I have my 30% speaking exam on May 11th and my 70% written exam on the 15th. I think that's good because I can get all my german out the way before my other exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joly)
    Wow well done.

I just realised today that I do 100% of my german AS in the space of 4 days. I have my 30% speaking exam on May 11th and my 70% written exam on the 15th. I think that's good because I can get all my german out the way before my other exams.
    Yeah, it's best to get stuff out the way early. I have AS and A2 speaking in the summer, as well as A2 Lit + Culture :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Well, don't swear in front of her family, then. :p: The registers of swear words (and of colloquialisms of all sorts) are very difficult to determine even as a native speaker (is "bloody" a swear word or not? I know a lot of people who'd be quite happy to say "pissed off" even in a relatively formal context, and some who'd never dream of letting their formality slip for a second).
    Yeah but the thing is, I don't think about it first. I can't think of an example with me, but for her, "s**t" has no meaning of offence, so if she bangs her head or something she may say it when my parents are around without considering it. I wouldn't say it just because I know my parents would find it unacceptable. Not sure if that makes sense :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtid)
    Yeah but the thing is, I don't think about it first. I can't think of an example with me, but for her, "s**t" has no meaning of offence, so if she bangs her head or something she may say it when my parents are around without considering it. I wouldn't say it just because I know my parents would find it unacceptable. Not sure if that makes sense :tongue:
    But it's also a well-known fact that if you bang your head or something, you tend to swear in your native tongue :p:

I see what you're saying though..

ReputationRep:
    I think it comes down to why or when you swear. If one uses swear words in every second sentence, because this is their/his(?) way of talking, then it's not ok. But if something bad or stupid happens I really like to vent my anger with whatever fits best. Though I'd never ever use those sexually linked words. I'm a parent myself and I made sure my children are able to express themselves properly, but I also don't mind when they say "Sch...." when the situation calls for it.

ReputationRep:
    But it's also a well-known fact that if you bang your head or something, you tend to swear in your native tongue :p:

I see what you're saying though..
    Lol maybe she's too good at English or something, because she definitely says the English version when she hurts herself or something! :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtid)
    Lol maybe she's too good at English or something, because she definitely says the English version when she hurts herself or something! :tongue:
    When I was living in germany I started cursing in german. I think it has more to do with what language you are speaking more at the time, which for me was german. Had massive problems when I came back to england, I kept kicking the verb to the end of the clause.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wannabe mexican)
    When I was living in germany I started cursing in german. I think it has more to do with what language you are speaking more at the time, which for me was german. Had massive problems when I came back to england, I kept kicking the verb to the end of the clause.
    I agree. When an American friend visited me two years ago I started to swear in English too. It actually got me in quite a lot of trouble during English classes lol My new teacher doesn't mind, though. He even encourages us to use swear words (not in exams, though) but I don't think this is very beneficial to our education
    But I hope it's useful when I'm coming to London in September :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meela)
    I agree. When an American friend visited me two years ago I started to swear in English too. It actually got me in quite a lot of trouble during English classes lol My new teacher doesn't mind, though. He even encourages us to use swear words (not in exams, though) but I don't think this is very beneficial to our education
    It should be I guess. The Germans at uni here swear english swearings. I find it funny when they do though because of the slight accent.

ReputationRep:
    An E! Not only did I receive the same grade as last year for my GRO1 (reading/listening) (an E), but I also received the same mark!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by grizzlybär)
    I think it comes down to why or when you swear. If one uses swear words in every second sentence, because this is their/his(?) way of talking, then it's not ok. But if something bad or stupid happens I really like to vent my anger with whatever fits best. Though I'd never ever use those sexually linked words. I'm a parent myself and I made sure my children are able to express themselves properly, but I also don't mind when they say "Sch...." when the situation calls for it.
    One's. You've said "if one uses..." earlier on in the sentence, so for consistency, you use the possessive form "one's". Alternatively, if you start the sentence with "if someone uses...", you can't really win; "his/her" looks silly and doesn't work in speech, "his" looks sexist and "their" is often considered grammatically wrong (though I tend to opt for "their" myself).

I don't really have anything against swearing. I probably swear far too much, but I can also turn it off entirely when the situation calls for it; I just speak as it comes to me, and personally I'm of the opinion that there is sometimes no better way of expressing your thoughts. I'm quite pleased to see that Stephen Fry agrees...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Meela)
    Better to learn how to swear properly than not to learn at all.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I alternate between languages, actually, but either way what I say will be quite tame, so meh.

One thing I still can't do properly, though, is sneezing in English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    One thing I still can't do properly, though, is sneezing in English.
    Come again??

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2013

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.