Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What does "Mullgammler" means

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    What does "Mullgammler" means
    Ein Gammler is like a bum, a lay about, lazy person. I don't quite know what the Mull part is...I think it is meant to be Müll...but not sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wannabe mexican)
    I see someone has just discovered some rude words in the dictionary. Well done.
    But nobody uses it.
    Gammler, yes, but I have never heard Müllgammler before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meela)
    But nobody uses it.
    Gammler, yes, but I have never heard Müllgammler before.
    Das war aber Sarkasmus...

ReputationRep:
    Das war aber Sarkasmus...
    Yeah, I know that is was to be taken seriously but I only wanted to tell you that the word doesn't exist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meela)
    Yeah, I know that is was to be taken seriously but I only wanted to tell you that the word doesn't exist
    Actually, I tried to invent a german word once. It didn't catch on though
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Does the genative plural add -n onto the end of everything, or is it just dative?
    Just dative. Genitive plural is the same as nominative plural: trotz dieser Ereignisse...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Actually, I tried to invent a german word once.
    Darauf solltest du eigentlich nicht so stolz sein, das macht jeder Deutsche fünfzigmal in der Woche...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Darauf solltest du eigentlich nicht so stolz sein, das macht jeder Deutsche fünfzigmal in der Woche...
    Ja, und zwar genau fünfzigmal.:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Ja, und zwar genau fünfzigmal.:p:
    Nah, we just steal English words, take away their true meaning and use them:tongue:

ReputationRep:
    I like that about German language. You can be quite inventive. There are loads of composite words in German and if you need a new one invent it, like Abwrackprämie, Paragraphendschungel,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    The fact was I was trying to teach it to the n00bs so they would get weird looks from everyone.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Meela)
    Nah, we just steal English words, take away their true meaning and use them:tongue:
    Na ja, das zeugt auch von einer gewissen Kreativität, oder? Eins meiner Lieblingswörter ist immer noch "Body-Bags", für diese Handtaschen, die während der späten 90er so beliebt waren:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Na ja, das zeugt auch von einer gewissen Kreativität, oder? Eins meiner Lieblingswörter ist immer noch "Body-Bags", für diese Handtaschen, die während der späten 90er so beliebt waren:p:
    Ja, body-bags ist klasse. Ach, es gibt so viele tolle Sachen.
    "Handy", "Beamer"...
    Ich mochte die Diskussion am liebsten, als alle "Come in and find out" falsch verstanden haben
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Meela)
    Ich mochte die Diskussion am liebsten, als alle "Come in and find out" falsch verstanden haben
    Das war ja aber auch ein ausgesucht dämlicher Slogan, der genaugenommen überhaupt keinen Sinn gab...

ReputationRep:
    What's the "sie" (as in she) form of "would be"?

"Dann wurd sie Fett sein?"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtid)

it is wäre. Sie wäre fett, or sie würde fett werden if she will become fat.

ReputationRep:
    When writing a summery, would I write "In kurtz: gibt es..." or "In kurtz: es gibt..." or are they both wrong?

ReputationRep:
    When writing a summery, would I write "In kurtz: gibt es..." or "In kurtz: es gibt..." or are they both wrong?
    Yes... I'm not sure what you actually want to say, though. Nevertheless both are wrong.
    Do you want to say "in conclusion"? Then it'd be something like "Kurz gesagt", "Zusammenfassend kann man sagen" or "Abschließend ist noch zu sagen, dass...".
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by wtid)

Same as the "er" form: "würde ... sein", or, preferably, the Konjunktiv II form "wäre".

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2013

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.