Turn on thread page Beta

German learners' society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    of course...i knew that :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kjc_us)
    Very random question but there is a point to it, I promise! :p: If a native, or someone who has done an exchange in a German school could help out, I'd be grateful.

In a standard German school, what's a typical meal like? Healthy/unhealthy? What kind of food do you get? I know obviously it will vary from school to school but I imagine the standards are probably pretty similar...? I mean, when I think of British school food the first thing that springs to mind is sausage and chips. :p:
    At my girlfriends school, it was the same as others have said. There was only a small canteen sellings snacks, as school finished around 1pm and everyone just ate at home.

ReputationRep:
    I feel a bit akward posting as i am a complete german beginner.

Ich heiße Myles. Und wie heißt du?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for the food replies. I was hoping you'd all tell me that German school children get given greasy sausages and chips to eat so I could talk about it in my oral (I'm doing obesity in Germany - done to death, I know, but at least it's relatively simple). Now I'm just going to have to assume they all go and eat greasy food in McDonalds on their lunch break. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    I hate when that happens! Had to do the same with my A2 c/w, and I usually have to cut bits from my essays now. Go with adjectives or adverbs, anything like that.
    It's so annoying. It happens to me EVERY SINGLE TIME. Normally, everyone's complaining about not being able to meet the minimum word limit. I'm always complaining because there's not enough room for all my ideas! I've managed to cut out over 1,000 words now, but I'm having major issues with the last 180....

(Original post by Fleece)
    I'd rather a) be writing an A2 essay and b) having to cut words out

Sucks either way though I guess
    Well of course you'd rather be writing an A2 essay, you could do it with your eyes shut. :p:

And can we swap? Because even if I have no idea what to write I can always manage to write lots. I have verbal (and written) diarrhea. :p: Cutting down is the hardest thing ever, because you never know if you're cutting out the right bits! I'm worried I've just deleted 1,000 words of good stuff and left over 1,000 words of crap.

(Original post by SpiritedAway)
    Just finished mine and am about 80 over, though since the 10% lean-way allows me to have 770, I'm not going to stress over it.
    I know how gutting it must be to have to cut bits out though when you worked hard on them . For my English coursework I got approx. 7000 words, when the max. was 3300
    Haha reminds me of my English Lit. GCSE exam - did you get those booklets which you had to write in rather than just paper? NOBODY in my year filled in more than about 1/2 of one. I managed to fill in about 2 1/2. I have issues.
    And 770?! Is that for the 500 piece?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyLo212)
    I feel a bit akward posting as i am a complete german beginner.

Ich heiße Myles. Und wie heißt du?
    Mate we are all at different levelz.

ReputationRep:
    AND I'M DONE.

I would feel good, but I don't, one hours' sleep and am in uni til 7pm tonight, ha. Ugh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    This took me a bit of googling. Well, a Flügel is a leaf, blade, wing, etc. (probably connected to Flug, fliegen...), and so definitely connected to Geflügel (poultry, winged stuff). A Gehflügel (or Gangflügel), though, is an "active leaf", which (bizarrely enough) is a part of a system of two doors. The Geh-/Gangflügel is the door that carries the locking mechanism, the primary door that you open first and close last, and the Steh-/Standflügel ("inactive leaf") is the secondary door that doesn't do much, the one you open last and close first.
    For anyone who was wondering, this was the right answer

ReputationRep:
    AND I'M DONE.

I would feel good, but I don't, one hours' sleep and am in uni til 7pm tonight, ha. Ugh.
    I really don't think all nighters are ever worth it in the end.

ReputationRep:
    Hi wtid,
    how is the weather in Lehrte? Brilliant suneshine over here in Limbach. Many greetings to your girlfriend and her family. The easter holidays are over and my sons are back at school. Thank heavens! I savour the moment, all peace and quiet, sitting in the sun and enjoying a cup of coffee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wannabe mexican)
    Obviously was, being as it got it done :p:

But yeah...I don't advise anyone be so ill organised that that is necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously was, being as it got it done :p:

But yeah...I don't advise anyone be so ill organised that that is necessary.
    Well yeah, the work gets done, but at what cost?!! I always regretted my all nighters.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for the food replies. I was hoping you'd all tell me that German school children get given greasy sausages and chips to eat so I could talk about it in my oral (I'm doing obesity in Germany - done to death, I know, but at least it's relatively simple). Now I'm just going to have to assume they all go and eat greasy food in McDonalds on their lunch break. :p:
    Well, this isn't that far from the truth. A lot of my friends did this during their free periods ( I never had one ).

Aw, I miss school... Revision is killing me :eek3:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Well, no, they're not, but when you've put yourself in a position where an all-nighter is the only option, you don't really have much of a choice. Few people plan to do all-nighters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meela)
    Well, this isn't that far from the truth. A lot of my friends did this during their free periods ( I never had one ).

Aw, I miss school... Revision is killing me :eek3:

That's exacly what I wanted to hear. (The bit about food, not revision killing you :p:)

ReputationRep:

Yes they are! I did an all nighter before my English AS and got a couple off marks of full marks in the end. I did a lot of all nighters before certain GCSEs aswell and without them I'd've failed. I'm going to be doing a lot more of them this term. Thank God for all nighters!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    German oral today. Woo.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    German oral today. Woo.
    Viel Glück! Obwohl ich nicht ernsthaft glaube, daß du es nötig hast...:p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Viel Glück! Obwohl ich nicht ernsthaft glaube, daß du es nötig hast...:p:
    Danke. :p: Will report back afterwards.

ReputationRep:

Haha reminds me of my English Lit. GCSE exam - did you get those booklets which you had to write in rather than just paper? NOBODY in my year filled in more than about 1/2 of one. I managed to fill in about 2 1/2. I have issues.
    And 770?! Is that for the 500 piece?
    Well, I'm with AQA so it's 700 piece (2 pieces).

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2013

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.