The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6660
wtid
Well piesacken certainly sounds foreign! It just sounds like some weird sexual thing such as dogging - "Pie sacking". Not sure what it would be though, and not sure I'd want to know either.

:rofl:
No, nothing of the sort, it just means something halfway in between teasing and bullying: less friendly than teasing, but not quite as vicious as bullying. "Triezen" is more or less the same (although I'd say it's slightly weaker), "verballhornen" means to imitate and render something in such a dreadful way that it's barely recognisable anymore (usually used about something classical or high-brow being dumbed down and mutilated). And just for the sake of completeness, "ziepen" means causing pain by pulling on an individual hair or a thin strand of hairs.
Reply 6661
wtid
When Friederike first moved here last September she wanted German bread too. We found you can buy it, but it's really expensive (we saw it mostly in organic shops, there's one in Camden, where you might live if you're in halls).

If you need any help when you first move, just ask, I'm more than willing to help :smile: I mean it's only a year since Friederike and I came so I guess I know what it's like to move here. On the other hand, you'll probably get lots of info from the uni...still, it's always useful to know someone who lives and works here, too :biggrin:

Organic=expensive=impossbile :wink:

But thank you nevertheless :wink: Maybe I'll have to buy some bread if the homesickness becomes unbearable (I don't hope so).

Oh, thank you! Yes, I guess they'll tell us a lot but it's always better to already know someone:biggrin:
Reply 6662
Meela
Organic=expensive=impossbile :wink:

But thank you nevertheless :wink: Maybe I'll have to buy some bread if the homesickness becomes unbearable (I don't hope so).

Get a breadmaker, seriously. You're going to be here for at least three years, so it'll be worth getting one. You won't even need a fancy one, a simple, cheap model from Argos or somewhere like that will do. All you need to do is throw in the ingredients, switch it on and do something else for three hours while waiting for the bread to finish baking. And if you can't be bothered with bread recipes, just take a few baking mixes from Germany. It's dead easy and the results are surprisingly good.:yep:
Ich habe meine Theorieprüfung bestanden und ich habe sogar 98% in dem "hazard perception" bekommen :awesome:.
SpiritedAway
Ich habe meine Theorieprüfung bestanden und ich habe sogar 98% in dem "hazard perception" bekommen :awesome:.

A level Deutscheprüfungen hören sich komisch an?!
wannabe mexican

I don't think I understood that properly :o: do A-level German exams sound strange?
Reply 6666
wannabe mexican

That should be "Deutsch-Prüfungen".:wink: And I think she was talking about her driving exam.
hobnob
That should be "Deutsch-Prüfungen".:wink: And I think she was talking about her driving exam.

ah right, now I understand :smile:
Yes, I was...sorry, I should have made it more clear :P
Reply 6668
SpiritedAway

Ironically, "Theorieprüfung" in German is pretty clear.:p:
ah ^^. Aber ich bin froh, dass ich die Prüfing bestanden habe, weil ich es schwierig finden, z.B es hat gefragt: "What should the distance between two cars be when it is raining and both cars are travelling at 50mph" aber die Antworten war in Fuß!
Reply 6670
SpiritedAway
ah ^^. Aber ich bin froh, dass ich die Prüfing bestanden habe, weil ich es schwierig finden, z.B es hat gefragt: "What should the distance between two cars be when it is raining and both cars are travelling at 50mph" aber die Antworten war in Fuß!

Ja, solche tollen Fragen hatten wir auch... Meine Lieblingsfrage war aber "Sie sehen, daß ein Mann mit einem weißen Stock und einer schwarz-gelben Armbinde dabei ist, vor Ihnen die Straße zu überqueren. Wie verhalten Sie sich?" Natürlich gab es dann die ganzen normalen Antworten (abbremsen, anhalten, etc.), aber eine der möglichen Antworten war doch tatsächlich "Ich fahre mit unverminderter Geschwindigkeit weiter, da der Blinde die Straße ohne Begleitung ohnehin nicht überqueren darf". Das war so schön absurd, daß ich, wenn ich die Frage tatsächlich in meinem Theorietest bekommen hätte, sehr in Versuchung gewesen wäre, nur aus Jux diese Antwort anzukreuzen, auch wenn es mich zwei Strafpunkte gekostet hätte.:p:
Sie kam dann leider doch nicht dran, nur langweilige Fragen nach Sicherheitsabständen, Bremswegen und Verhaltensregeln an beschrankten Bahnübergängen und sowas. Pah!
SpiritedAway

Lol, or I just shouldn't make crappy jokes!
Reply 6672
wannabe mexican
Lol, or I just shouldn't make crappy jokes!

To be honest, maybe you should just keep quiet altogether :colondollar:
Submitted my coursework today! I don't care how I did, I'm just glad it's over with.

Right. My (active) vocab is ******* awful and getting worse. Time to hit the books.
wtid
lol that's never a real German word, surely?

I love "piesacken". (First found it here, lyrics here.)
Sorry for the triple post. A couple of questions...

1. Can someone reassure me that I'm not going mad, and that "wo ist X hin?" means "where has X gone?" rather than "where is X?".

2. What's the deal with glottal stops before vowel-initial syllables? One of the first things I learnt was that you always put a glottal stop before a syllable starting with a vowel, so something like "ich habe meine Hausaufgabe nicht gemacht" would have glottal stops in the following starred places: "ich-ha-be-*ei-gent-lich-mei-ne-Haus-*auf-ga-be-nicht-ge-macht". Since then I've noticed that I wouldn't tend to pronounce them in things like "hab' ich" (which is pronounced like "hab-bich" rather than "hap-*ich"), which is understandable, but also that I wouldn't tend to pronounce them in words like "Hausaufgabe". In fact, I heard "wie ihr euch" pronounced entirely without glottal stops in a song recently, and it sounded like "wiiiiieeeuuurrrrrch". I'm pretty sure it's a dialectal thing. Anyway, how do they work? Who pronounces them, and to what extent, and where should I pronounce them? :p: I tend to follow my nose unless I'm speaking carefully, in which case I put them all in, but now that I'm getting more sensitive to different German accents, I'm interested.

3. Does anyone have any clue what the following sentence means, in particular the underlined section? "In einem Land der Unzufriedenheit oder einem Land, das sich in einem latenten Buergerkrieg zu befinden glaubt, mag eine Verlagerung des Konflikts, eine Flucht nach vorn eine gewisse Versuchung darstellen." Those two seem to contradict each other...
Hi generalebriety,
1. you're not going mad!
2. to be honest, I never thought about things like glottal stops before. The one word which comes to my mind where you have to carefully pay attention to the pronunciation is "kre - ieren"
otherwise it sounds like "krei - ern". If you put the "e" back "habe ich", the stop comes naturally.
"soll ich" though, often sounds like "sollich" . "Individu - um" the stop is absolutely necessary.
hobnob probably knows more about the subject.
3."die Flucht nach vorn antreten" means not to wait until disaster hits you, but to actively do something against it. The additionel "eine Flucht nach vorn" in your sentence is a specification to "eine Verlagerung des Konflikts" in the sense of "die Verlageung des Konflikts, die einer Flucht nach vorn gleichkommt, stellt eine gewisse Versuchung dar. At least that's the way I get it.
wtid
To be honest, maybe you should just keep quiet altogether :colondollar:

Yeah...well....
Reply 6678
grizzlybär
1. you're not going mad!

:ditto:
It's short for "wo ist er hingegangen?".
2. to be honest, I never thought about things like glottal stops before. The one word which comes to my mind where you have to carefully pay attention to the pronunciation is "kre - ieren"
otherwise it sounds like "krei - ern". If you put the "e" back "habe ich", the stop comes naturally.
"soll ich" though, often sounds like "sollich" . "Individu - um" the stop is absolutely necessary.
hobnob probably knows more about the subject.

I'm not so sure whether they really are glottal stops, actually. I'd have thought it's just that the vowels are usually pronounced separately instead of being blended together. When you're speaking informally, you can get away with a bit of slurring, though (which obviously makes things easier to pronounce).
Oh, and for what it's worth, speed of talking may come into it as well. I only pronounce "hab ich" as "hab-bich" when talking very fast. Usually it sounds more like "hah-bich".
3."die Flucht nach vorn antreten" means not to wait until disaster hits you, but to actively do something against it. The additionel "eine Flucht nach vorn" in your sentence is a specification to "eine Verlagerung des Konflikts" in the sense of "die Verlageung des Konflikts, die einer Flucht nach vorn gleichkommt, stellt eine gewisse Versuchung dar. At least that's the way I get it.

:yep:
"Die Flucht nach vorn antreten" means to act quickly and perhaps without fully considering the consequences of that action.
hobnob

"Die Flucht nach vorn antreten" means to act quickly and perhaps without fully considering the consequences of that action.

I don't think it has that non-considering, or acting headlessly meaning, it rather focuses on getting activ. Rather (to?) face a problem, or otherwise the consequences will be worse.

Latest

Trending

Trending