The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Gut gemacht!!

I had my last lecture today which was German Language Skills. I feel pretty prepared for my oral exam now.
Reply 6721
Si_G
Ahh had Oral today (AS and A2 same day) and it went really really well :smile: It's lucky I did work experience in Germany all last week, made it so much easier. I did it with WJEC board, and for those of you that know you have to do that Article thing for A2 then answer questions on it, i probably had the worst one in the world. It was about 'maut' ychhh

Could have phrased that a bit better, this is a family orientated forum :tongue:
Reply 6722
wtid
Could have phrased that a bit better, this is a family orientated forum :tongue:

I'm sure he was just thinking of German mouthwash there.:wink:
wtid

Haha excellent! I got a similar message today which I interpreted wrong.
Si_G
Ahh had Oral today (AS and A2 same day) and it went really really well :smile: It's lucky I did work experience in Germany all last week, made it so much easier. I did it with WJEC board, and for those of you that know you have to do that Article thing for A2 then answer questions on it, i probably had the worst one in the world. It was about 'maut' ychhh

Gah! Mine are on Tuesday (As) and Thursday (A2).I am a little nervous, but aia think I will do okay ^^
I'm trying to explain in my discourse analysis essay that english students are nervous about speaking German because everyone will stare at them when they're giving their argument. How would I say "look at" or "stare at" in this context please? I've never been good with that verb!
Reply 6726
hannah_dru
I'm trying to explain in my discourse analysis essay that english students are nervous about speaking German because everyone will stare at them when they're giving their argument. How would I say "look at" or "stare at" in this context please? I've never been good with that verb!

"Dumm anstarren"?
Reply 6727
hannah_dru
Gut gemacht!!

I had my last lecture today which was German Language Skills. I feel pretty prepared for my oral exam now.

Hello :smile: I've got my German oral (after one year of studying it at uni, so supposedly around post A-Level standard) in a few days time... We get given an unseen text which we have 15min to prepare and which we then discuss for 15min with two examiners... Any tips for helping me feel prepared?!
Lothar
Hello :smile: I've got my German oral (after one year of studying it at uni, so supposedly around post A-Level standard) in a few days time... We get given an unseen text which we have 15min to prepare and which we then discuss for 15min with two examiners... Any tips for helping me feel prepared?!

With the unseen text, you just ask yourself about each paragraph what the questions could be. Go through important bits with a highlighter as well - babyish I know, but still.
Is anyone else taking German AS with WJEC? WHY did my school choose that exam board - it's impossible to find [free] past papers and mark schemes!

Oh well, my oral went well...

Any tips for doing the listening, reading and responding paper? I really don't like the writing part :frown:
I'm sure you'll be able to find free past papers somewhere :dontknow:. I mean, doesn't your school have any?

My oral is on Tuesday, and I kind of hinted that I would fail epically if my teacher gave me anything on politics or environment. So she said she wouldn't ask me anything about NATO, the EU or the UN, which is good enough for me :proud:. I hope I get health issues, I seem to be really good with vocab in that area.
SpiritedAway
I'm sure you'll be able to find free past papers somewhere :dontknow:. I mean, doesn't your school have any?

My oral is on Tuesday, and I kind of hinted that I would fail epically if my teacher gave me anything on politics or environment. So she said she wouldn't ask me anything about NATO, the EU or the UN, which is good enough for me :proud:. I hope I get health issues, I seem to be really good with vocab in that area.

The school do have them, quite a few in fact, but for the 2006 papers, they have both Jan and June papers, but only the June mark scheme, saved twice :rolleyes: (Had to choose that paper to do today, didn't I?)

Good luck! My teacher refused to hint at where the holiday or school ones were, but thankfully I got youth culture and healthy living - health issues is definitely easiest for me!
My teacher is also refusing to tell us what she is giving us in the exam. But, tbf, we've done enough mocks and enough speaking practices for her to know where my strengths and weaknesses lie.
Could someone look over my German writing please? I feel I've made a load of really stupid mistakes (e.g. translating English phrases directly into German, and general grammar stuff), but can't really work it out.

German

Thanks very much!
I think where you have "Junge Leute" it is meant to be "junge Leute", also, it is plural, so where you have got dative prepositions in front of it, it needs to be "jungen Leuten". Same at the top, I think it should be "Von Schule zu Freunden".
"Kann alles Junge Leute" , think the "alles" should be "alle" :s-smilie:
I think "Grossten" should have an umlaut on..I'm sure superlatives add an umlaut :P
I'm going to shut up now because I don't want to say something wrong, and I'll wait for GE, or Hobnob or one of the others to come along and tell me that I am wrong/correct it properly. But those are the things I instantly noticed :s-smilie:
Reply 6735
I have my AS WJEC German Oral on Wednesday....not excited about this at all :frown:
Anyone done it already... what is it like?
SpiritedAway
I think where you have "Junge Leute" it is meant to be "junge Leute", also, it is plural, so where you have got dative prepositions in front of it, it needs to be "jungen Leuten". Same at the top, I think it should be "Von Schule zu Freunden".
I think "Grossten" should have an umlaut on..I'm sure superlatives add an umlaut :P
I'm going to shut up now because I don't want to say something wrong, and I'll wait for GE, or Hobnob or one of the others to come along and tell me that I am wrong/correct it properly. But those are the things I instantly noticed :s-smilie:

Thank you! :biggrin: I'm rubbish with endings etc. I really need to revise my grammar.
Reply 6737
steffi.alexa
Is anyone else taking German AS with WJEC? WHY did my school choose that exam board - it's impossible to find [free] past papers and mark schemes!

Oh well, my oral went well...

Any tips for doing the listening, reading and responding paper? I really don't like the writing part :frown:

Only your teacher can get them. The AS oral with WJEC is actually pretty easy, they'll ask you really basic questions about you, your family where you come from, what you want to do after school, ...basic GCSE stuff tbh. And then have a 7 minute discussion on the two topics. Just write about two pages down about both topics and memorise them, but be prepared to answer questions about it aswell.
Jubbzy
I have my AS WJEC German Oral on Wednesday....not excited about this at all :frown:
Anyone done it already... what is it like?

I've done it - thankfully the cards I got (1 with 2 pictures, 1 text) were on topics I'm confident in.

I found it okay, and am glad that I got the topics I did - I know barely any vocab for holidays!

The personal questions part is pretty much like GCSE (only, it's obviously slightly more advanced) - I spent the entire time talking about rowing (and comparing friends to cats - I managed to get it in!)

Good luck!
SpiritedAway

I think everything you've said is right, but I don't think you've quite caught everything. That said, I don't have time to go through it fully yet, so if no one else has tonight / tomorrow, I will. (Nudge me if I don't!)

Latest