Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    In the vast majority of cases he's right, because after a word like "with" you'll normally have some article or demonstrative ("the"/"this"/"a") or a plural noun, and all of those articles/demonstratives would cause the ending to default to -en. The trick was to find some construction like "with" + adjective + singular neuter noun, and there's not much there.
    Ahh yes, that's right, I remember now, that's for the "no marker system" as he calls it. It makes sense now

ReputationRep:
    Ach, ich habe meine muendliche Pruefung am morgen. Es ist so frueh fuer mich! Hoffentlich wird alles klappen.

ReputationRep:
    Viel Glück!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    Viel Glück!
    Danke schoen!

ReputationRep:
    Was musst du in deiner mündlichen Prüfung machen? Ist es nur ein Gespräch, oder?

ReputationRep:
    Was musst du in deiner mündlichen Prüfung machen? Ist es nur ein Gespräch, oder?
    Es gibt einen Pruefer und eine Prueferin (beide kenne ich) und sie stellen Fragen ueber einen Roman, ueber einige Themen in dem Modul Contemporary Germany und ueber einige Videos, die ich studieren musste. Also ja, ein 20 Minuten Gespraech.

Ich habe ein bisschen Angst im Moment, weil die Leute mit denen ich wohne, ein Gast hier habe und sie sind alle sehr laut.

ReputationRep:
    Wie viele Romane hast du belesen?

ReputationRep:
    Wie viele Romane hast du belesen?
    Fur den Kurs oder allgemein?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    Fur den Kurs oder allgemein?
    Für den Kurs

ReputationRep:
    Für den Kurs
    Ich las einen Roman dieses Jahr und 5 Kurzgeschichten letztes Jahr.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm what is "Roman"? You're using it there, so I looked it up and found "novel", but in a Sido song he "sings"

"Ich zeig dir die Stadt , yo Roman dreh den Bass auf"

which wouldn't make sense if Roman was "novel" Does it have another meaning, or is it slang?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by wtid)
    Hmm what is "Roman"? You're using it there, so I looked it up and found "novel", but in a Sido song he "sings"

which wouldn't make sense if Roman was "novel" Does it have another meaning, or is it slang?
    *shrugs* It normally means "novel", and I don't think it has a slang meaning.

Just listened to the song and it seems to be stressed on the first syllable rather than (as expected) on the second, so it might be someone's name.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by wtid)

"Roman" (with the stress placed on the first syllable) is a first name, but "Roman" (with the stress placed on the second syllable) means "novel".

In this context, Roman is probably the name of whoever is playing the bass guitar.:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    "Roman" (with the stress placed on the first syllable) is a first name, but "Roman" (with the stress placed on the second syllable) means "novel".

In this context, Roman is probably the name of whoever is playing the bass guitar.:dontknow:
    Considering it's Sido, I doubt the bass is a bass guitar, but rather getting "Roman" to turn up the sub :tongue:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by wtid)
    Considering it's Sido, I doubt the bass is a bass guitar, but rather getting "Roman" to turn up the sub :tongue:
    How should I know? I've never even heard of him.:p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by hobnob)
    How should I know? I've never even heard of him.:p:
    :indiff:

Hold on. I've heard of him, and I'm English. :p: What's going on here? Are you one of those people who've been exposed to no popular music ever? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    :indiff:

Hold on. I've heard of him, and I'm English. :p: What's going on here? Are you one of those people who've been exposed to no popular music ever? :p:
    Even my girlfriend has heard of him and she doesn't listen to/know anything about music. Elizabeth must just have lived here too long and when back home, lived in a cave :tongue: For future reference, Elizabeth, though I'm sure it's not to your taste at all and you'll wipe it from your memory as soon as you've listened (if you even listen!)

ReputationRep:
    That oral was a piece of cake Yay!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    That oral was a piece of cake Yay!!!
    As in the examiner was? How did you communicate with a piece of cake? Being German, I assume it was black forrest gateaux or something?

Seriously though, woohooo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtid)
    As in the examiner was? How did you communicate with a piece of cake? Being German, I assume it was black forrest gateaux or something?

Seriously though, woohooo!
    No, no no. English idiom meaning the oral was really easy. The questions I was asked were really general.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2013

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.