Turn on thread page Beta

German learners' society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    I'm really dreading something coming up and me not knowing the word for it. I was hoping to get around it, but looking at the mark scheme, they seem to be quite strict on the words you can use and actually getting around certain words.
    You might not know a certain word, but it's unlikely you won't know how to express the gist of what you're trying to say in German Just use a different word.

ReputationRep:
    Translation is quite hard to revise for, I had the same problem for my module. I went with translation texts which I found online but my friends learnt lots of new words. They said that was a bit pointless at times as one girl learnt 1,500 words and 4 only came up. I usually try to turn nouns into verbs or say something similar.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    Translation is quite hard to revise for, I had the same problem for my module. I went with translation texts which I found online but my friends learnt lots of new words. They said that was a bit pointless at times as one girl learnt 1,500 words and 4 only came up. I usually try to turn nouns into verbs or say something similar.
    I learnt about 18 A4 pages' worth of words before my translation exam, and one came up. It was worth it (how do you word round "he was embarrassed"?!), and I now know a lot more German words and phrases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    I learnt about 18 A4 pages' worth of words before my translation exam, and one came up. It was worth it (how do you word round "he was embarrassed"?!), and I now know a lot more German words and phrases.
    Wow! I suppose it's good for overall competence if they're useful words. I just knew I'd get annoyed if I learnt loads of words.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    Wow! I suppose it's good for overall competence if they're useful words. I just knew I'd get annoyed if I learnt loads of words.
    I suppose. My vocab is awful, though. And given that I always just scraped by with my vocabulary in exams, the course I was doing didn't count towards my degree at all, and now nothing I do in German will ever be for anything else other than interest, I want to know some words! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I suppose. My vocab is awful, though. And given that I always just scraped by with my vocabulary in exams, the course I was doing didn't count towards my degree at all, and now nothing I do in German will ever be for anything else other than interest, I want to know some words! :p:
    I wouldn't say that- you're always helping me with words! I think it's good to do things for interest

ReputationRep:
    When Friederike was doing her English Abitur, she had vocab tests every week, but with whole phrases that are of no use whatsoever. For example

"The leniency of a narcissistic protagonist in an 18th century novel" and they had to get it right word for word or it was classed as wrong! When you have 20 of these to do every week along with all the other Abitur work, I imagine it gets quite impossible for most people! Luckily for her she could read them once or twice and know them off by heart, lucky her!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtid)
    When Friederike was doing her English Abitur, she had vocab tests every week, but with whole phrases that are of no use whatsoever. For example

"The leniency of a narcissistic protagonist in an 18th century novel" and they had to get it right word for word or it was classed as wrong! When you have 20 of these to do every week along with all the other Abitur work, I imagine it gets quite impossible for most people! Luckily for her she could read them once or twice and know them off by heart, lucky her!
    haha. I did a past paper yesterday, and the last line was 'She was always doing everything her Father dissaproved of, so he killed her to protect the family name'

ReputationRep:
    Hellooooooo everybody! How's it going!? Lange nicht gesprochen!

Argh, I've missed this place! And I finished my last German exam today! Woooop!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Gooner)
    Hellooooooo everybody! How's it going!? Lange nicht gesprochen!

Argh, I've missed this place! And I finished my last German exam today! Woooop!
    Wer bist du denn? :p:

How did the exams go?

ReputationRep:
    Wer bist du denn? :p:

How did the exams go?
    Ich bin seit Oktober krank gewesen und deshalb könnte ich nicht Zeit finden meine Arbeit zu machen, geschweige denn an TSR zu kommen!:p:

Ahh, the exams went surprisingly well, thanks! I have two more though - Spanish writing and French Grammar, but meh...they're only worth 25% each! I was sliiiiightly disappointed with my German oral, but ho hum...It's only first year!:p: How'd yours go? And the German course..?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Gooner)
    Ich bin seit Oktober krank gewesen und deshalb könnte ich nicht Zeit finden meine Arbeit zu machen, geschweige denn an TSR zu kommen!:p:

Ahh, the exams went surprisingly well, thanks! I have two more though - Spanish writing and French Grammar, but meh...they're only worth 25% each! I was sliiiiightly disappointed with my German oral, but ho hum...It's only first year!:p: How'd yours go? And the German course..?
    My maths exams haven't happened yet. I'm still "revising" for them as we speak. German was alright thanks - dunno how well I've done, but don't really care much. :smile: Results will come out in a couple of weeks, probably.

ReputationRep:
    My brother just got a letter from the Studentenwerk in Marburg where he did his Auslandsjahr. He owes them 8.24 Euros!!! Ironically it will cost him 20 euros to make the transaction. Gotta love Germans. (especially those in a relationship with Chris)

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what "Turnfest" means, my exchange student is talking about it. I assume it is something that happens in Frankfurt am Main :s:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    Does anyone know what "Turnfest" means, my exchange student is talking about it. I assume it is something that happens in Frankfurt am Main :s:
    Could be a gymnastics festival?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Languagesfreak)
    Could be a gymnastics festival?
    It is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meela)
    It is
    Ah That's good then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wannabe mexican)
    My brother just got a letter from the Studentenwerk in Marburg where he did his Auslandsjahr. He owes them 8.24 Euros!!! Ironically it will cost him 20 euros to make the transaction. Gotta love Germans. (especially those in a relationship with Chris)
    Nur ich liebe sie :hmmm: !

ReputationRep:
    lol ich spreche jetzt mit meine exgf und sie kennst das nicht, obwohl sie in der Naehe von Frankfurt wohnt :tongue:

*edit* egal...sie kennt das.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by wtid)
    lol ich spreche jetzt mit meine exgf und sie kennst das nicht, obwohl sie in der Naehe von Frankfurt wohnt :tongue:

*edit* egal...sie kennt das.
    Deine aktuelle Freundin und deine Ex-Freundin kommen beide aus Frankfurt? :confused: Oder hab ich da etwas missverstanden?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2013

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.