The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8300
generalebriety
I don't get this sentence at all: "das ist so schon hart genug, und erfordert, um's zu überstehen". I don't quite understand what is being needed (erfordert) here. :s-smilie: (Taken from song lyrics, by the way.)

"Das" - whatever it refers to.:dontknow:
generalebriety
I don't get this sentence at all: "das ist so schon hart genug, und erfordert, um's zu überstehen". I don't quite understand what is being needed (erfordert) here. :s-smilie: (Taken from song lyrics, by the way.)

Hi generalebriety,
is it by chance from "Wir sind allein" by Letzte Instanz?

the two following lines tell you what's needed.

So viel Wärme, so viel Kraft
die kein Mensch alleine hat."
grizzlybär
Hi generalebriety,
is it by chance from "Wir sind allein" by Letzte Instanz?

the two following lines tell you what's needed.

So viel Wärme, so viel Kraft
die kein Mensch alleine hat."

Oh - that makes a lot more sense. :s-smilie: Grammatically odd, but I can see it now. Thanks. :smile:
SpiritedAway
Ich wünsche (ich will "dir" sagen aber ich weiß nicht, weswegen ich Dativ benutzen will :s-smilie:) dir/dich frohe Weihnachten auch und einen guten Rutsch ins neue Jahr!

Man nutzt dir, also du hast zuerst Recht gehabt :smile:
Hi guys, I only just started self-teaching German :smile:

I can't write anything yet, but I hope I will improve in time!
Miss Mary
Hi guys, I only just started self-teaching German :smile:

I can't write anything yet, but I hope I will improve in time!

Good luck. :smile:
Ich fliege heute zuhause. Ich hoffe, dass alles mit dem Flug klappen wird.
Ich auch ... aber laut Servicekraft der Fluggesellschaft sollte das heute Abend klappen, sofern es nicht plötzlich noch unerwartet erneut schneit...
Rogerenden
Ich auch ... aber laut Servicekraft der Fluggesellschaft sollte das heute Abend klappen, sofern es nicht plötzlich noch unerwartet erneut schneit...

Ich habe das auch gehoert. Mit welcher Firma fliegst du? Ich fliege mit Easy Jet.
I've been looking at the verb: sich kümmern

Would:
I look after myself be: Ich kümmere mich um
und
I look after my friend: Ich kümmere mein Freund um
und
I look after him: Ich kümmere Ihn um.

If I have made mistakes please tell me. I don't really understand the "sich" in verbs, could you explain this to me in a clear way?
generalebriety
Good luck. :smile:

Danke. :o:

I'm having trouble with colours lol, for example I don't know when to use "rot", "rote", "rotes" :s-smilie:
Oh and also, may I ask you which words need to be capitalized? Thanks!
Reply 8311
Dave129
I've been looking at the verb: sich kümmern

Would:
I look after myself be: Ich kümmere mich um

No, you've left out the object. It would be "ich kümmere mich um mich selbst". But you wouldn't normally say that.
und
I look after my friend: Ich kümmere mein Freund um

No, the verb is "sich kümmern", so it should always be "ich kümmere mich um X". In this case it would be "ich kümmere mich um meinen Freund" - "meinen" because the object has to be in the accusative form.
und
I look after him: Ich kümmere Ihn um.

Sorry, wrong again. "Ich kümmere mich um ihn".

If I have made mistakes please tell me. I don't really understand the "sich" in verbs, could you explain this to me in a clear way?

It's not actually that complicated. Unless you have an inversion, all bits of the verb remain in place: it's always "[subject] [corresponding form of kümmern] [reflexive pronoun which corresponds to the subject*] um [object in the accusative]". Always make sure that the reflexive pronoun matches the subject and don't forget that it needs an (accusative) object as well. Quite straightforward, really.:smile:

*I.e. "mich" for 1st person singular, "dich" for 2nd person singular, "sich" for 3rd person singular and plural, "uns" for 1st person plural, "euch" for 2nd person plural.
Reply 8312
Miss Mary
Danke. :o:

I'm having trouble with colours lol, for example I don't know when to use "rot", "rote", "rotes" :s-smilie:

Billy is much better at explaining this than I am, so I won't even bother.:p:
Oh and also, may I ask you which words need to be capitalized? Thanks!

All nouns. Even when they're not proper nouns.
Miss Mary

This isn't just a trait of colours, it's a feature of all adjectives. If the adjective is predicative (e.g. "the jumper is red", "I painted the car green", "it turned blue[noparse]")[/noparse], you don't add an ending, so it would be "rot", "grün", "blau". If the adjective is attributive ("the red jumper", "a green car", "blue beer[noparse]")[/noparse], it takes an ending based on several things, including the words around it and the case/gender/number of the noun after it. I won't post the details, but there's a page I wrote on the wiki on adjective endings here. If you've just started learning German, I don't recommend you try to get to grips with this yet, but keep it in the back of your mind. :smile:
Dave129

"Sich" is a reflexive pronoun meaning "oneself". Think of the English verb "to wash oneself" - this conjugates as "I wash myself", "you wash yourself", etc. German does exactly the same. The verb "sich waschen" conjugates as "ich wasche mich", "du wäschst dich", "er/sie wäscht sich", "wir waschen uns", "ihr wascht euch", "sie waschen sich".

In this case, the verb "to look after (+ object/person)" is "sich kümmern um (+ object/person in accusative case)", and there's no particular logical reason that that "sich" is there, but it is there and you have to keep it there. So: "ich kümmere mich (um...)", "du kümmerst dich", etc.

(The "sich" can also be dative with some verbs, but that's rare and it'll normally be obvious, so don't worry about that!)
generalebriety
In this case, the verb "to look after (+ object/person)" is "sich kümmern um (+ object/person in accusative case)", and there's no particular logical reason that that "sich" is there, but it is there and you have to keep it there. So: "ich kümmere mich (um...)", "du kümmerst dich", etc.

(The "sich" can also be dative with some verbs, but that's rare and it'll normally be obvious, so don't worry about that!)

I believe that Germans use the reflexive a lot more than we do so here they have it in a scenario, we english would not use it in.
Dave129
I believe that Germans use the reflexive a lot more than we do so here they have it in a scenario, we english would not use it in.

Yeah, that's what I tried to say, but wasn't very clear. :p:
generalebriety
This isn't just a trait of colours, it's a feature of all adjectives. If the adjective is predicative (e.g. "the jumper is red", "I painted the car green", "it turned blue[noparse]")[/noparse], you don't add an ending, so it would be "rot", "grün", "blau". If the adjective is attributive ("the red jumper", "a green car", "blue beer[noparse]")[/noparse], it takes an ending based on several things, including the words around it and the case/gender/number of the noun after it. I won't post the details, but there's a page I wrote on the wiki on adjective endings here. If you've just started learning German, I don't recommend you try to get to grips with this yet, but keep it in the back of your mind. :smile:

Oh ok, thanks for the tip :smile:
hobnob
No, you've left out the object. It would be "ich kümmere mich um mich selbst". But you wouldn't normally say that.

No, the verb is "sich kümmern", so it should always be "ich kümmere mich um X". In this case it would be "ich kümmere mich um meinen Freund" - "meinen" because the object has to be in the accusative form.

Sorry, wrong again. "Ich kümmere mich um ihn".

It's not actually that complicated. Unless you have an inversion, all bits of the verb remain in place: it's always "[subject] [corresponding form of kümmern] [reflexive pronoun which corresponds to the subject*] um [object in the accusative]". Always make sure that the reflexive pronoun matches the subject and don't forget that it needs an (accusative) object as well. Quite straightforward, really.:smile:

*I.e. "mich" for 1st person singular, "dich" for 2nd person singular, "sich" for 3rd person singular and plural, "uns" for 1st person plural, "euch" for 2nd person plural.

You look after your male friend:

Du kümmerst dich um deinen Freund.

Vielen Dank. :smile:
Frohe Weihnachten an alle German learners society members. - Merry Christmas to all German learners society members!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending