Turn on thread page Beta

German learners' society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Because 'das Mögliche' is an adjectival noun (from the adjective 'möglich'), and hence behaves like an adjective.
    I see :beard:

ReputationRep:
    Bitte, hilf mir! Wie sagt man auf Deutsch 'file sharing'? Gibt es ein Wort?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ryanc92)
    'Das Filesharing', soweit ich weiß.:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanc92)
    "Das Filesharing" would probably be understood by most Germans, but apparently "der Datentausch" is the proper word for it (according to a guy from Hamburg who's at my school.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobo1234)
    "Das Filesharing" would probably be understood by most Germans, but apparently "der Datentausch" is the proper word for it (according to a guy from Hamburg who's at my school.)
    "Datentausch" would be the translation, depending on context it could also be something like "Dateifreigabe" (which would be even more uncommon than Datentausch ). So stick with "Filesharing", which is used by the media here, too.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

what could I translate 'fellow actor' as? i.e she married fellow actor.. Sie heiratete ??...

Maybe 'Mitspieler'?

Vielen Dank
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by sully1993)
    Hey guys

what could I translate 'fellow actor' as? i.e she married fellow actor.. Sie heiratete ??...
    'Sie heiratete ihren Schauspielerkollegen Xyz'.
    Maybe 'Mitspieler'?
    :no: 'Mitspieler' is what you'd call a fellow player in a game, so it's not the right word to use here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    'Sie heiratete ihren Schauspielerkollegen Xyz'.

:no: 'Mitspieler' is what you'd call a fellow player in a game, so it's not the right word to use here.
    Would it be possible to say Mitschauspieler or is that just trying to bulldoze an English term into German?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Would it be possible to say Mitschauspieler or is that just trying to bulldoze an English term into German?
    Hmm... I'd say technically it should be possible to use it, because it's the correct word formation and everybody should be able to understand what you mean by it, but there's just something about it that doesn't quite feel right.:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... I'd say technically it should be possible to use it, because it's the correct word formation and everybody should be able to understand what you mean by it, but there's just something about it that doesn't quite feel right.:dontknow:
    Kinda what I thought, but for some reason it sounds better than Schauspieler Kollegen :dontknow: but then again I'm not a German native-speaker so :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Just feels a bit long and clumsy, really.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Kinda what I thought, but for some reason it sounds better than Schauspieler Kollegen :dontknow: but then again I'm not a German native-speaker so :p:
    'Schauspielerkollegen' is a bit of a mouthful, of course, but it's really the closest you can get to translating the 'fellow' bit (which is always a little tricky, because it doesn't exist in quite the same way in German).:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Just feels a bit long and clumsy, really.
    :rofl: we're talking about German here! :p: doesn't really sound any less clumsy than Schauspielerkollegen tbh
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    :rofl: we're talking about German here! :p: doesn't really sound any less clumsy than Schauspielerkollegen tbh
    It sounds a lot more clumsy, because the word "Mitschauspieler" would have to be stressed weirdly. :p:

ReputationRep:
    It sounds a lot more clumsy, because the word "Mitschauspieler" would have to be stressed weirdly. :p:
    Fair enuff. I concur

ReputationRep:
    How would you say "in turn"? As in "the immigrants' searches for jobs led to xenophobia in the area, which in turn led to outbreaks of xenophobic violence". I've got the rest of the sentence, just need the in turn bit. Thanks!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    How would you say "in turn"? As in "the immigrants' searches for jobs led to xenophobia in the area, which in turn led to outbreaks of xenophobic violence". I've got the rest of the sentence, just need the in turn bit. Thanks!
    Hmm, I think I'd go with 'wiederum'. As in 'X führte zu Y, was wiederum zu Z führte'.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I think I'd go with 'wiederum'. As in 'X führte zu Y, was wiederum zu Z führte'.
    Vielen Dank!

ReputationRep:
    What is the difference between "sich fühlen" and "spüren"?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    What is the difference between "sich fühlen" and "spüren"?
    "Spüren" is about sensory perception. "Sich fühlen" is about subjective perception of your own state of mind and/or health.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2013

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.