Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Seriously, I wish I could have tutorials and massive weekly reading lists again. The stress is half the fun, really.
    I secretly know you're right.

ReputationRep:
    lol, na, zeit für mich zu(?) verschwinde...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willand)
    Heute, bin ich ein bisschen langsam mit alles... Hast du Deutsch studiert? (duzen ist gut für ein 'forum' ?)
    Nein, meine Freundin ist Deutch so ich glaube (glaube ich?) ich sollte Deutsch lernen. (was that totally wrong?). Ich habe keine Deutsch Klassen gehabt und ich glaube es klar ist! (I KNOW that was wrong) There's too little time in the day to learn :'(
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by wtid)
    Nein, meine Freundin ist Deutch so ich glaube (glaube ich?) ich sollte Deutsch lernen. (was that totally wrong?). Ich habe keine Deutsch Klassen gehabt und ich glaube es klar ist! (I KNOW that was wrong) There's too little time in the day to learn :'(
    "Meine Freundin ist Deutsche" - you're using "Deutsch-" as a noun here (is a German person, rather than just is German), "also ich glaube / glaube ich" (can be either, depending on how you're using 'also'). The rest of that sentence is right. Then, "ich habe keinen Deutschunterricht gehabt, und ich glaube, dass es klar ist / ich glaube, es ist klar!" (grammatically, although I don't know what "I think it's clear / obvious!" is meant to mean).

Edit: oh, wait. Did you mean "I haven't had any German lessons, and I think that's obvious"? I'd say something like "...und das versteht sich von selbst" (a bit of a set phrase), or "...und das ist offensichtlich" (might be wrong about that one...).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Yeah I was trying to say "I have had no German lessons and I think it's obvious!"

Naja, ich gehe ins Bett. Ich muss um 6:45 aufwachen. Tschuss!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Nacht.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Edit: oh, wait. Did you mean "I haven't had any German lessons, and I think that's obvious"? I'd say something like "...und das versteht sich von selbst" (a bit of a set phrase), or "...und das ist offensichtlich" (might be wrong about that one...).
    Actually this version is better, because it's the literal meaning. "Versteht sich von selbst" is actually closer to "obviously" than "it's obvious". You'd use it in phrases like "Daß eine Taxifahrt von London nach Edinburgh teuer ist, versteht sich von selbst". When in doubt, better go for "natürlich", though - that's usually the best way of translating "obviously" and it works in most cases, because "natürlich" in German is used in a way that's very similar to how "obviously" is used in English.
    In this particular context I'd have used yet another expression, though (just to confuse you even further :p:): "ich habe keinen Deutschunterricht gehabt, und das sieht / merkt man".

ReputationRep:
    Dankeschön beide (not sure if you can just say "thank you both" in German).

Ich bin heute Zuhause weil ich krank bin Ich habe nervigen Husten :mad:

It's a bit silly for me, I want to make sure what I write is understandable so I write to my German friends what I think is correct, then they tell me what I've written is wrong or that you wouldn't say that, so I put here the correct version, even though I don't know why it's like it is! Maybe I should stop asking them and just write my first try here, although then I'll make lots of mistakes.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by wtid)
    Dankeschön beide (not sure if you can just say "thank you both" in German).

Ich bin heute Zuhause weil ich krank bin Ich habe nervigen Husten :mad:

It's a bit silly for me, I want to make sure what I write is understandable so I write to my German friends what I think is correct, then they tell me what I've written is wrong or that you wouldn't say that, so I put here the correct version, even though I don't know why it's like it is! Maybe I should stop asking them and just write my first try here, although then I'll make lots of mistakes.
    I think you can say "danke schön, ihr beide", which is literally "thank you both".

I don't know if it's because of your German friends or because of you mixing things up, but you're picking up one or two bad habits, such as "dankeschön" (should be two words) and "Zuhause" (which is different from "zu Hause", the one you want), and not putting commas before weil. Feel free to just write your first try here, I'm sure we'll understand.

A small correction: nervige Husten. (I wrote a wonderful marvellous excellent article on this on the TSR wiki here... no... wait... here.)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again It's not really because of my friends, it's more because of LEO...thank you and home.

As for the "nervige" correction, I just copied what my friend said so I don't know why she told me wrong :confused:

The thing is, I can write my first try on here and make mistakes which you lovely people will correct, but then I don't know why it was wrong because I haven't yet learnt the rules. I mean I'm going through my book and I'm only at the point where I'm learning some nouns and which gender they are and how to make them plural. A perfect example of this is the "verb second" rule (I think that was it's name) which you've corrected me on before yet I still don't know how to use it because I haven't taken it since I'm not there in the book yet. Don't get me wrong, I do value your corrections it's just that I have a very bad memory and I can read over a rule 10 times a night and I'll still not remember it for 2 weeks or something. You may wonder what the point in me posting at all is then, but I just want to keep writing so I don't forget the stuff I already know, but I can then write only very basic sentences so I have to use things I don't know too.

I hope that all makes sense, I just don't want to make you angry or annoyed if I keep making the same mistake and you keep correcting it. Wow long post!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by wtid)
    Thanks again It's not really because of my friends, it's more because of LEO...thank you and home.
    Ah. Then you're misusing LEO, because Dankeschön and Zuhause are nouns, and that's not what you want in the context.

(Original post by wtid)
    As for the "nervige" correction, I just copied what my friend said so I don't know why she told me wrong :confused:
    Ooh. I checked this a minute ago, and it seems 'nervigen' is at least plausible, as long as 'Husten' is singular (which it is). I was using it in the plural, which may well be wrong. Hmm, better wait for hobnob on that one. :p:

(Original post by wtid)
    The thing is, I can write my first try on here and make mistakes which you lovely people will correct, but then I don't know why it was wrong because I haven't yet learnt the rules. I mean I'm going through my book and I'm only at the point where I'm learning some nouns and which gender they are and how to make them plural. A perfect example of this is the "verb second" rule (I think that was it's name) which you've corrected me on before yet I still don't know how to use it because I haven't taken it since I'm not there in the book yet. Don't get me wrong, I do value your corrections it's just that I have a very bad memory and I can read over a rule 10 times a night and I'll still not remember it for 2 weeks or something. You may wonder what the point in me posting at all is then, but I just want to keep writing so I don't forget the stuff I already know, but I can then write only very basic sentences so I have to use things I don't know too.

I hope that all makes sense, I just don't want to make you angry or annoyed if I keep making the same mistake and you keep correcting it. Wow long post!
    Well, I suggest you go through your grammar book a bit faster than you are. There's a temptation to think "I need to know this section before I move on", but you don't; if you don't know how to pluralise every noun ever yet, then don't worry about it, because neither do I; that's the sort of thing you pick up from years of experience, which you and I simply don't have yet. On the other hand, the verb second idea rule is both very simple and very fundamental, so you really should go through your grammar book a lot faster than you are doing and not expect to pick everything up first time round.

If you're finding it hard to 'remember' grammar, you're probably going about it the wrong way - the only way to fix grammar into your head is to use it (over and over and over again in lots of contexts). See the thread in my sig.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I suggest you go through your grammar book a bit faster than you are. There's a temptation to think "I need to know this section before I move on", but you don't; if you don't know how to pluralise every noun ever yet, then don't worry about it, because neither do I; that's the sort of thing you pick up from years of experience, which you and I simply don't have yet. On the other hand, the verb second idea rule is both very simple and very fundamental, so you really should go through your grammar book a lot faster than you are doing and not expect to pick everything up first time round.
    Fair enough I guess learning the grammar is better than learning the word as you say, but when you have a job and don't have much free time, it's impossible to spend as much time on the "less important" things unfortunately and learning this, although useful, isn't as important as other things I have to do. As I said, not enough hours in the day Guess I better get onto it now then!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    A small correction: nervige Husten.
    Nope, sorry, wtid's version was correct. It's "der Husten", so "nervigen" is what you need, because "haben" needs the accusative.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Nope, sorry, wtid's version was correct. It's "der Husten", so "nervigen" is what you need, because "haben" needs the accusative.
    I know all this. None of this says why it can't be plural, though. :p: I'll just assume no one ever uses it in the plural. :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    In case you're interested, here are some of the most common illnesses etc:

der Husten = cough
    die Erkältung = cold
    die Halsschmerzen = sore throat
    die Grippe (singular) = flu (the serious type)
    der grippale Infekt = (the non-serious type that's basically just a very bad cold)

Kinderkrankheiten
    die Masern = measles
    die Windpocken = chicken pox
    die Röteln = rubella
    Mumps (no article) = [well, what do you think?]
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I know all this. None of this says why it can't be plural, though. :p: I'll just assume no one ever uses it in the plural. :p:
    It can't be plural because there's no singular word called "der / die / das Hust".:p: As far as I know it's just derived from the verb, so it was probably "das Husten" originally.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It can't be plural because there's no singular word called "der / die / das Hust".:p:
    What's the plural of Husten, then? Or doesn't it have one?

"I have annoying cough" just sounded like it was crying out to be plural to me. :p:

ReputationRep:

"I have annoying cough" just sounded like it was crying out to be plural to me. :p:
    I wondered that too, but she's the German native so I didn't argue lol

-edit: She says there is no plural.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

*Theoretically* it would be "die Husten", but it's never actually used in the plural, so you may as well forget about that form, really...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by wtid)
    I wondered that too, but she's the German native so I didn't argue lol

-edit: She says there is no plural.
    Learn something new every day. Cheers.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2013

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.