ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by mo.toffe)
    how do you say 'practice makes perfect' in german
    "Übung macht den Meister."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    "x"
    Oh Hobbie...was ist "um" ? with some examples pleassee ...I know how to use it, I just dont know why its there...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    Oh Hobbie...was ist "um" ? with some examples pleassee ...I know how to use it, I just dont know why its there...
    Erm, it's mainly a preposition, meaning "about" or "around", unless it's part of an "um... zu" clause. If you want me to be any more specific than that you'll need to give me an example of a sentence in which you can't make any sense of it.:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Erm, it's mainly a preposition, meaning "about" or "around", unless it's part of an "um... zu" clause. If you want me to be any more specific than that you'll need to give me an example of a sentence in which you can't make any sense of it.:dontknow:
    ahh..yeah its the um zu clause....ich will reisen, um spass zu haben...z.B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    ahh..yeah its the um zu clause....ich will reisen, um spass zu haben...z.B
    It's there cos it means "in order to".

ReputationRep:
    Ich brauche eine Wohnung fuer naechstes Jahr (und ich muss mein Studium absolvieren), weil ich ein Jobangebot bekommen habe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    Ich brauche eine Wohnung fuer naechstes Jahr (und ich muss mein Studium absolvieren), weil ich ein Jobangebot bekommen habe
    Toll! Was für einen Job?

ReputationRep:
    I've got my gcse writing exam tomorrow so i'd appreciate it if someone could check my writing

Danke schön!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc german writing.doc (25.5 KB, 102 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    Toll! Was für einen Job?
    Bei uns im Buero als Festangestellte.

ReputationRep:
    Bei uns im Buero als Festangestellte.
    "Bei uns" wie in Deutschland?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aljabiraa)
    I've got my gcse writing exam tomorrow so i'd appreciate it if someone could check my writing

Danke schön!
    Checking

"Bei uns" wie in Deutschland?
    Genau

ReputationRep:
    Checking

Genau
    :woo: Das ist recht super!

ReputationRep:
    :woo: Das ist recht super!
    :woo: Ich freue mich. Es ist mein Traum, in Bayern zu arbeiten

Danke schön!
    Done!

Wasn't quite sure with the bit about the sister whether you meant go for a walk with her or visit her, but I assumed walking.
    Attached Files
  2. File Type: doc german writing_korr.doc (33.5 KB, 58 views)

ReputationRep:
    Done!

Wasn't quite sure with the bit about the sister whether you meant go for a walk with her or visit her, but I assumed walking.
    Thanks a lot mate!

I meant that i planned to go into central london with her (rather than walk - hence fahren). Sorry, tried to be clever but failed badly!

Wow thats a lot of mistakes, but luckily only tiny little der die das type ones.

Any tips to improve it generally? And any idioms i could add in to make it sound clever? (The best i could do was the 'Sie ist eine Qual' thing)

ReputationRep:
    :woo: Ich freue mich. Es ist mein Traum, in Bayern zu arbeiten

Done!

:woo: Dann viel Erfolg damit!

Drück euch die Daumen für mich - ich habe ein Email zu meiner Uni geschickt und gefragt, ob es mögloch wäre, sowohl Französisch als auch Deutsch zu studieren. Ich freue mich ganz doll, wenn das möglich wäre :woo:. Und das bedeutet auch, dass ich kein Spanisch studieren muss, was eigentlich ein Traum für mich sein würde, weil Spanisch mir kein Spaß macht :no:.

Hmm, wie kann ich schreiben "to do sth. on behalf of s.o."?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Drück euch die Daumen für mich - ich habe ein Email zu meiner Uni geschickt und gefragt, ob es mögloch wäre, sowohl Französisch als auch Deutsch zu studieren. Ich freue mich ganz doll, wenn das möglich wäre :woo:. Und das bedeutet auch, dass ich kein Spanisch studieren muss, was eigentlich ein Traum für mich sein würde, weil Spanisch mir kein Spaß macht :no:.

"Etwas stellvertretend für jemanden tun"?

ReputationRep:
    "Etwas stellvertretend für jemanden tun"?
    So wird das auch funktionieren, wenn ich an den Telefon bin oder, wenn ich ein Email/Brief schreiben will, oder gibt es unterschiedliche Kontexte?
    So z.B.
    Ich am writing on behalf of Mr. S
    Ich schreibe stellvertretend für Herren S
    oder
    Ich spreche stellvertretend für Herren S

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot mate!

I meant that i planned to go into central london with her (rather than walk - hence fahren). Sorry, tried to be clever but failed badly!

Wow thats a lot of mistakes, but luckily only tiny little der die das type ones.

Any tips to improve it generally? And any idioms i could add in to make it sound clever? (The best i could do was the 'Sie ist eine Qual' thing)
    Ah ok. Then I would say "Ich beabsichtige, mit meiner Schwester in die Stadtmitte zu gehen" (Just noticed two mistakes I missed- you don't need the "zu" after the Stadtmitte with what I corrected and it should be "in die Stadtmitte" ).

Don't worry, genders just take a while to learn

I think it's fine. What do you have to do exactly? I have a whole book of idioms but I suck at coming up with them out of my head. I think what you've got is good though.

(Original post by Spirited Away)

Drück euch die Daumen für mich - ich habe ein Email zu meiner Uni geschickt und gefragt, ob es mögloch wäre, sowohl Französisch als auch Deutsch zu studieren. Ich freue mich ganz doll, wenn das möglich wäre :woo: . Und das bedeutet auch, dass ich kein Spanisch studieren muss, was eigentlich ein Traum für mich sein würde, weil Spanisch mir kein Spaß macht :no:.

Vielen Dank! Ich druecke auch meine Daumen fuer dich.

Ich muss "Im Auftrag von" immer als "on someone's behalf" uebersetzen, weiss aber nicht ob das in diesem Kontext passt.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Ich muss "Im Auftrag von" immer als "on someone's behalf" uebersetzen, weiss aber nicht ob das in diesem Kontext passt.
    Doch, das paßt wunderbar.:yep: Noch viel besser als "stellvertretend".

ReputationRep:
    Doch, das paßt wunderbar.:yep: Noch viel besser als "stellvertretend".
    Schoen!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2013

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.