Turn on thread page Beta

German learners' society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Der ständig auf die tonne haut <hat Jemand hier wissen, was dieser Satz bedeutet?...dankeeee
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    Der ständig auf die tonne haut <hat Jemand hier wissen, was dieser Satz bedeutet?...dankeeee
    Auf die Tonne? Könntest du mir vielleicht ein bißchen mehr Kontext geben? So ergibt das für mich auch nicht sehr viel Sinn...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Auf die Tonne? Könntest du mir vielleicht ein bißchen mehr Kontext geben? So ergibt das für mich auch nicht sehr viel Sinn...
    Natürlich Hobnob.
    "Der ständig auf die Tonne haut, und dann am Ende in die Röhre schaut."

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to learn German. I did a bit at school years ago. Anybody recommend a good course? Is Rosetta Stone any good?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Natürlich Hobnob.
    "Der ständig auf die Tonne haut, und dann am Ende in die Röhre schaut."
    Sorry, ich fürchte da muß ich passen.:confused: 'Auf die Tonne hauen' ist meines Wissens keine feststehende Redewendung. Ich kenne nur 'auf die Pauke (bzw auf den Putz) hauen'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I'd like to learn German. I did a bit at school years ago. Anybody recommend a good course? Is Rosetta Stone any good?
    Rosetta is good for Vocab, VERY good for Vocab..although its not very good in terms of grammar...sentence structure etc..so use something else with Rosetta

ReputationRep:
    Rosetta is good for Vocab, VERY good for Vocab..although its not very good in terms of grammar...sentence structure etc..so use something else with Rosetta
    OK. That's good to know. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, can anyone translate this for me please
    "I wanted to know what is happening with the deposit issue"

I always thought that "I wanted to know" is "Ich wollte wissen" is that true?

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was Ich möchte gerne wissen or ich würde gerne wissen

(though I've just looked up the former and one site is telling me it means 'i wonder' whereas another says it means 'i'd like to know')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    I thought it was Ich möchte gerne wissen or ich würde gerne wissen

(though I've just looked up the former and one site is telling me it means 'i wonder' whereas another says it means 'i'd like to know')
    Yeah, the thing is what about in the context of "I wanted to know" but now I dont want to know..?

But I suppose I could use " ich würde gerne wissen" , it seems more polite.

Btw 2 months till you come home and 2 months till I go there
    Im not looking forward to it!...why do Germans/Austrians take so long to reply mails?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the thing is what about in the context of "I wanted to know" but now I dont want to know..?

Im not looking forward to it!...why do Germans/Austrians take so long to reply mails?
    I'm looking forward to coming home . This year has been super fast, and I can't believe I'm actually starting uni :woo:. I can't wait to start learning French :awesome:.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    "Ich wüßte gerne"?:dontknow:

ReputationRep:

Why aren't you looking forward to it? It's great fun for most people. I love it so much I'm dreading coming home and counting down the days til I can move back.
    Probably because they're busy. They usually have a different work ethic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    Why aren't you looking forward to it? It's great fun for most people. I love it so much I'm dreading coming home and counting down the days til I can move back.
    Probably because they're busy. They usually have a different work ethic.
    Because everything so far has pointed towards the "youre not going to enjoy it" path..
    I am the only one going to Austria, which is no problem..but everything, the accommodation, the registration, the people from my Uni who went to Salzburg, and the Austrians themselves...is just like draining me...im not sure how to articulate that better...meh' ...also my teacher told me that I should be a tad bit careful because of my ethnicity..which never really helps to be honest.......but I suppose the city does look very very very very very nice!...that is something im looking forward to exploring!
    But yeah, I dunno...i'm just finding it hard to get excited over the prospect of going to this place..of course that might all change when I get there, wir werden sehen!

ReputationRep:
    Because everything so far has pointed towards the "youre not going to enjoy it" path..
    I am the only one going to Austria, which is no problem..but everything, the accommodation, the registration, the people from my Uni who went to Salzburg, and the Austrians themselves...is just like draining me...im not sure how to articulate that better...meh' ...also my teacher told me that I should be a tad bit careful because of my ethnicity..which never really helps to be honest.......but I suppose the city does look very very very very very nice!...that is something im looking forward to exploring!
    But yeah, I dunno...i'm just finding it hard to get excited over the prospect of going to this place..of course that might all change when I get there, wir werden sehen!
    You're not actually there yet though and it's always a problem getting things going initially. It's usually a bit crap before you go and when you get there anyway because it's so much effort and can be a shock.
    I'm the only one in the South and practically the only one working so don't worry about that.
    I wouldn't worry about your ethnicity, I doubt they're racist or anything. i know quite a few Austrians and they're really open.

ReputationRep:
    You're not actually there yet though and it's always a problem getting things going initially. It's usually a bit crap before you go and when you get there anyway because it's so much effort and can be a shock.
    I'm the only one in the South and practically the only one working so don't worry about that.
    I wouldn't worry about your ethnicity, I doubt they're racist or anything. i know quite a few Austrians and they're really open.
    Yeah I know, I know some Austrians already and their directness is rather strong?..but I know its normal there so im trying to adapt to that, of course there will be other things as well...
    Yeah, I didnt think I needed to worry about my ethnicity..until my teacher said so..like I said, I hope its nothing, but of course I will take what she said into account..
    But thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know, I know some Austrians already and their directness is rather strong?..but I know its normal there so im trying to adapt to that, of course there will be other things as well...
    Yeah, I didnt think I needed to worry about my ethnicity..until my teacher said so..like I said, I hope its nothing, but of course I will take what she said into account..
    But thanks
    They're a lot more direct than people in the UK in my experience but I prefer it that way.
    Should be fine, hopefully. I've learnt that they're not keen on certain things here but they're not rude or anything.
    I was in Salzburg last Saturday btw and it's beautiful!

ReputationRep:
    They're a lot more direct than people in the UK in my experience but I prefer it that way.
    Should be fine, hopefully. I've learnt that they're not keen on certain things here but they're not rude or anything.
    I was in Salzburg last Saturday btw and it's beautiful!
    What are they not keen on?

ReputationRep:
    What are they not keen on?
    The older people are a lot more conservative where I am so I get the odd dirty look if I wear a Rammstein t-shirt.
    Also heard that they're don't like it when you say "Tschuess" but I'm not too sure because some of them have said it.

ReputationRep:
    Just on the race thing, I was terrified for months because everytime I mentioned I was going to Russia people would be like OH MY GOD THEY HATE BLACK PEOPLE THERE and everyone's heard about the **** that goes down in Moscow and St Petersburg but I literally got no racism at all while I was in Kazan sooooo. (Equally we got a lot of hyperbole about being female in Russia. Now yeah a lot of the men were pretty scummy but the information would scream, "DON'T GO ANYWHERE ON YOUR OWN IN THE DARK OMG!" and I walked home pretty much every night in the dark and got nothing but the odd dodgy blokes in cars, nothing worse than what would happen in Britain.)

Not saying it would be same in Moscow or Peter though. And I'm still terrified about my year abroad. Would have thought racism wouldn't be particularly noteworthy in Austria? And to be honest I think we always overrate racism when we're in a different country as compared to our own, just because we're not used to it (and none of us really have much of an idea what it's going to be like unless we've been there often and recently which I'm guessing your teacher hasn't).

ANYWAY TO KEEP THIS POST ON TOPIC: does anyone know of any good resources to practice listening (to German)? I should be practising speaking as well but I don't have anyone to practise on (Skype isn't even an option at the moment as I don't have access to the internet for most of the day), which is annoying me a little (I want to do an evening course in German in the autumn and I don't want to start from complete beginners; however the test they do to see where you're at is completely oral which is bad news as my grammar, reading and writing will be inevitably better than my speech production.).

I do need quite simple stuff to listen to though having said that.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2013

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.