Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know you have to be tactical about them, but I mean if you start talking about say an exam that you did badly in, you could quite easily say "all my hard work 'went to the dogs.'" and as a result not only give a nice sort of evaluative phrase but also sound more german.

So i guess I need them mainly for evaluative comments that would come after certain statements that I make.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Shane-O)
    So i guess I need them mainly for evaluative comments that would come after certain statements that I make.
    Hmm, sorry, I'd like to help you, but I'm still not entirely sure of what sort of phrases you need exactly.:dontknow: Evaluative comments such as what?

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it, its a pretty weird question!

Was just wondering if this sentence I wrote makes sense:
    'Wenn sie das taeglich unbekleidet Model in 'Bild' sehen waere, wuerden sie natuerlich neidisch und verharmlost fuehlen.'

Meant to translate to:
    If they see the daily naked Bild model, they would naturally feel jealous and belittled.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

'Wenn sie das taeglich unbekleidet Model in 'Bild' sehen waere, wuerden sie natuerlich neidisch und verharmlost fuehlen.'

Meant to translate to:
    If they see the daily naked Bild model, they would naturally feel jealous and belittled.
    "Wenn sie täglich das unbekleidete Model in der Bild-Zeitung sehen, ist es nur natürlich, wenn sie sich neidisch und gedemütigt (?) fühlen".

"Verharmlosen" is "belittle" as in belittling a problem or a threat. You can't really use it for people, though.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

Meant to translate to:
    I have to ask, because your sentence is ambiguous; hobnob has interpreted it one way, but I would've interpreted it the other. Which of the following do you mean? (What you wrote doesn't actually make any sense.)
    "If they saw the daily naked Bild model, they would naturally feel jealous and belittled." (i.e. they haven't, and probably won't)
    "If they see the daily naked Bild model, they will naturally feel jealous and belittled." (i.e. they haven't, but they might do)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    ^^ Good point. I didn't think of that.
    Additionally, since "wenn" can mean both "if" and "when", you could also have a German construction that could be read as 'they might have and they probably do' (that's more or less the version I posted above).
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by hobnob)
    ^^ Good point. I didn't think of that.
    Additionally, since "wenn" can mean both "if" and "when", you could also have a German construction that could be read as 'they might have and they probably do' (that's more or less the version I posted above).
    Ooh, I didn't actually read your post, which seems to have interpreted it in a different way still. :p: I was thinking more along the lines of "If they see the naked Bild model, who changes every day...", but you seem to have interpreted it as "If they see the naked Bild model every day...".

ReputationRep:
    Oh gosh, didnt mean to cause a debate! I meant "If they see the naked Bild model every day, they would feel..."

I wasn't sure on the use of verharmlosen. Thanks for clearing it up.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Oh gosh, didnt mean to cause a debate! I meant "If they see the naked Bild model every day, they would feel..."

I wasn't sure on the use of verharmlosen. Thanks for clearing it up.

No, you didn't mean that, because that doesn't make any sense. That's why I asked. What you wrote is ambiguous (in English and in German).

ReputationRep:
    Let me contextualise this for you: I am talking about the media's influence on young women and how it manifests itself. For that particular point I was talking about seeing pictures of super models in fashion magazines and the naked girl in Bild as triggers for this pressure for the average young woman to have a perfect body. The way it manifests itself would be things like eating disorders etc.

Thanks for your help
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Ooh, I didn't actually read your post, which seems to have interpreted it in a different way still. :p: I was thinking more along the lines of "If they see the naked Bild model, who changes every day...", but you seem to have interpreted it as "If they see the naked Bild model every day...".
    Yes, actually that was intentional, because I thought the fact that each day the naked Bild model has a different face would be less relevant here than the point that somebody is / might be confronted with the sight of those more or less generic-looking models on a daily basis. Probably interpreting a bit too much there, though...

Oh gosh, didnt mean to cause a debate!
    Heh, don't worry. Debates are fun - and we're not exactly jumping down each other's throats yet.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Let me contextualise this for you: I am talking about the media's influence on young women and how it manifests itself. For that particular point I was talking about seeing pictures of super models in fashion magazines and the naked girl in Bild as triggers for this pressure for the average young woman to have a perfect body. The way it manifests itself would be things like eating disorders etc.

Thanks for your help
    Hmm, but by singling out 'Bild' like that you're more or less assuming that "the average young woman" actually reads (if you can call it that) Bild-Zeitung on a daily basis. Does she?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Hmm, but by singling out 'Bild' like that you're more or less assuming that "the average young woman" actually reads (if you can call it that) Bild-Zeitung on a daily basis. Does she?:confused:
    haha that's what I was thinking.

ReputationRep:
    thats a good point, but I mean its a gossipy paper isnt it, much like the Sun and gossip is what young women do like to read. Thats not really the main idea behind it though, i'm really getting at the idea that even if they don't actually have a good ole perve over the picture of the girl, they are aware of it and that their boyfriends etc (who would be more of a target audience for Bild) would be comparing them. Thus leading to all sorts of anxieties...comprendes? Ach, es tut mir leid, alles klar?

ReputationRep:
    Am Donnerstag gehe ich nach Deutschland Ich werde fuer 6 Tage gehen, aber es ist nicht genug Ich gehe meine Freundin sehen

I hope that's 100% correct! Now I'll ruin it by probably making a mistake.

Das ist ok [though], weil ich sie 2 tage spaeter sehen werde.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtid)
    Am Donnerstag gehe ich nach Deutschland Ich werde fuer 6 Tage gehen, aber es ist nicht genug Ich gehe meine Freundin sehen

I hope that's 100% correct! Now I'll ruin it by probably making a mistake.

Das ist ok [though], weil ich sie 2 tage spaeter sehen werde.
    Am Donnerstag fahre ich nach Deutschland. Ich bleibe sechs Tage, aber das ist nicht genug Ich besuche meine Freundin

Gehen generally means to go by foot.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by klerr)
    Am Donnerstag fahre ich nach Deutschland. Ich bleibe sechs Tage, aber das ist nicht genug Ich besuche meine Freundin

On foot.:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klerr)

I thought fahren was "to drive"? I think the Channel would disagree with me driving there!

ReputationRep:
    fahren means to travel, generally - it can mean to drive too though. Generally, when you use gehen you imply going by foot, so if you 'go' somewhere abroad use fahren.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by wtid)
    I thought fahren was "to drive"? I think the Channel would disagree with me driving there!
    Both; "gehen" means "to walk" and "fahren" means "to drive" / "to ride". Both also take the meaning "to go", with the (not-so-)obvious restriction that "gehen" implies "to go on foot" and "fahren" means "to go by means of transportation" (e.g. bike, car, boat... ski lift? Hmm... :p:)

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2013

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.