Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys was just wondering if any one would have any free time to have a look through my essay that i wrote, if i PM it to them? Just a bit unsure on some of the grammar. Its on 'To what extent does media pressure negatively affect young women?'

Don't worry if your busy,

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shane-O)
    Hey guys was just wondering if any one would have any free time to have a look through my essay that i wrote, if i PM it to them? Just a bit unsure on some of the grammar. Its on 'To what extent does media pressure negatively affect young women?'

Don't worry if your busy,

Thanks!
    You can send me essay to me... although I have to say that I might not be able to tell you WHY something is a mistake; I lack hobnobs qualities here ;-)

ReputationRep:
    Hallo,

Just wondering if one of you can help me. I'm probably overlooking a simple rule but I was just talking to my gfs mum (who, if you remember, speaks no English) and said "wenn schreibe ich...." and she said corrected me saying "wenn ich schreibe". I thought the verb second rule states that the verb must come 2nd in the sentence, i.e. after "wenn", so why is it wrong on this occasion?

Also, she said "mal gucken / mal guckst" (can't quite remember which one it was) - what does it mean?

Thanks, from a wet and dull Hannover.

ReputationRep:
    Because 'wenn' is a subordinating conjunction, which means it sends the verb to the end.

If she said something like guck mal, it just means, 'have a look' or 'look'.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Yep. "Mal gucken" is "let's have a look".

My turn for a question. "Das Leben ist zu kurz, wenn du nich' weiß' wat du wills'" - a line in a song, as reported on a lyrics site and exactly as heard. What's going on there? "Wat"?!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Yep. "Mal gucken" is "let's have a look".

My turn for a question. "Das Leben ist zu kurz, wenn du nich' weiß' wat du wills'" - a line in a song, as reported on a lyrics site and exactly as heard. What's going on there? "Wat"?!
    It's dialect. Could be the dialect spoken around Cologne, perhaps. Who wrote that song?

ReputationRep:
    Ich bin genau die Treppen hinunter gegangen um meine Post zu öffnen, und ich habe gelernt, dass zwischen den 6. und 8. Dezember ich bei Oxford ein Interview habe. Yay!

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by gooner1592)
    Ich bin genau die Treppen hinunter gegangen um meine Post zu öffnen, und ich habe gelernt, dass zwischen den 6. und 8. Dezember ich bei Oxford ein Interview habe. Yay!

Super. Herzlichen Glückwunsch.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by gooner1592)

Genau?

Glueckwunsch. Bei welchem College hast du dich beworben?

(Original post by hobnob)
    It's dialect. Could be the dialect spoken around Cologne, perhaps. Who wrote that song?
    "Wise Guys". They are indeed from Cologne. Cheers.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Genau?
    Oops, missed that. It should be "gerade", obviously. Another type of "just".

ReputationRep:
    Genau?

Glueckwunsch. Bei welchem College hast du dich beworben?

"Wise Guys". They are indeed from Cologne. Cheers.
    :p: Ich wußte nicht, wenn es 'genau' oder 'gerade' wäre:p: Ach, ich habe etwas neues gelernt! Danke

Und ich habe an 'Jesus' beworben Ich habe auch gehört, dass es randvoll mit walisischen Leute ist. Das ist nicht so gut wenn ich gar keine Walisisch spreche.:p: Aber jemandem hat mir gesagt, es sei unwahrscheinlich, dass alle diese Leute walisische sind. Es ist höchstwahrscheinlich, dass es nur ein Stereotyp sei

ReputationRep:
    when typing up german, can anyone tell me how to put in umlauts and things..?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    when typing up german, can anyone tell me how to put in umlauts and things..?
    ä = Alt + 132
    Ä = Alt + 142
    ö = Alt + 148
    Ö = Alt + 153
    ü = Alt + 129
    Ü = Alt + 154
    ß = Alt + 225

ReputationRep:
    thanks very much, but mine doesn't seem to work. do you press the plus sign as well? when i hold down alt and press 132 for example, nothing comes up the computer is in set in german language as well.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    thanks very much, but mine doesn't seem to work. do you press the plus sign as well? when i hold down alt and press 132 for example, nothing comes up the computer is in set in german language as well.
    Use the keypad on the right of your keyboard. (If you're working on a laptop, the keypad may be 'integrated' into your keyboard and some keys may function as both letters and numbers - switch num lock on and then use this keypad.)

ReputationRep:
    hey everyone this is that essay that I'd absolutely love someone to have a read over. The content i'm quite happy with but I'm not with the grammar , things like adjective endings, noun plurals, separable verbs with zu even some genders i'm unsure of! :mad:

Of course it would take a bit of an expert to find some of the small little errors, and I'l try to find them when I read over this tomorrow. but for anyone that would like to and has a little spare time, your help and advice is much appreciated!! Some seriously positive reppage to anyone that can help me out!

Thanks very much.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc deutsche.doc (27.0 KB, 93 views)

ReputationRep:
    If the keyboard is set in the German language then just press { : @ buttons for the umlauts. My keyboard is now in English, so when I press { : @ that's what happens...but when I switch it to German like so (just by pressing ALT and SHIFT) then I get ü ö ä.

A lot simpler than that ALT and numbers business.

ReputationRep:
    Or if you're sensible and are using a mac, you can just press (ALT+U+LETTER) to get the letter with the umlaut and (ALT+S) to get ß
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Fleece)
    If the keyboard is set in the German language then just press { : @ buttons for the umlauts. My keyboard is now in English, so when I press { : @ that's what happens...but when I switch it to German like so (just by pressing ALT and SHIFT) then I get ü ö ä.

A lot simpler than that ALT and numbers business.
    But does that work for capital letters as well?:confused:

As for Alt + numbers being complicated, that's a huge exaggeration. It's seven combinations you need to learn by heart, which is an absolute joke compared to what you'll have been learning by heart in terms of German vocabulary and grammar. And once you've learnt them by heart and got into the habit of using them, they'll stick. I had to learn the combinations for Norwegian letters by heart several years ago, and I still remember them...

(å = 134, Å = 143, æ = 145, Æ = 146, ø = 155, Ø = 157, in case you're interested).:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    But does that work for capital letters as well?:confused:

As for Alt + numbers being complicated, that's a huge exaggeration. It's seven combinations you need to learn by heart, which is an absolute joke compared to what you'll have been learning by heart in terms of German vocabulary and grammar. And once you've learnt them by heart and got into the habit of using them, they'll stick. I had to learn the combinations for Norwegian letters by heart several years ago, and I still remember them...

(å = 134, Å = 143, æ = 145, Æ = 146, ø = 155, Ø = 157, in case you're interested).:p:
    I didn't really say the ALT numbers was complicated, I just said it was far simpler to just switch your keyboard.

Yes, it does work for capitals, because what you are doing is essentially just changing your keyboard to what a German keyboard looks like...so you just press shift and : { @ when it's in German mode to get a capital letter, like you would any other.
    Ö Ü Ä - ta da.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2013

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.