Turn on thread page Beta

German learners' society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtid)
    Well in my case, I want to write better and speak better, rather than read/listen. My girlfriend lives in Germany and I find it much easier to understand her mum when I go over to stay, than I do to talk back to her so I need to better learn to get across what I say, hence translating a book seemed logical
    Its good to get the practise then if your hoping to improve your writing skills rather than reading. I suppose once its all translated it will help with your reading skills also. It is a logical thing to do, it will start to help i'm sure.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I think I'm gonna read Das Glasperlenspiel. Wonder if I can finish it by the end of this holiday, I haven't even looked at how hard the German is yet...

ReputationRep:
    What you could do is see if you can get hold of the book in English aswell so if you get stuck on certain bits you can refer to the English copy for help.

EDIT: I don't know the book but I just looked it up and from I've found apparently in English the name translates as The Glass Bead Game, you were probably already aware though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElectricOceans)
    What you could do is see if you can get hold of the book in English aswell so if you get stuck on certain bits you can refer to the English copy for help.
    Generalebriety, help? In German? Not a chance

I suppose I shouldn't admit this, but I listen to German Hip Hop and Dance music (and a tiny bit of punk) which is where I got the bulk of my vocab from! I can say any Bluemchen lyrics perfectly, if you like tacky europop dance music!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtid)
    Generalebriety, help? In German? Not a chance

I suppose I shouldn't admit this, but I listen to German Hip Hop and Dance music (and a tiny bit of punk) which is where I got the bulk of my vocab from! I can say any Bluemchen lyrics perfectly, if you like tacky europop dance music!
    Although we probably don't think Generalebriety needs any help with his German i'm sure he reads through his German dictionary obsessively every night to get where hes at. :laugh: (only joking of course!)

I'd like to listen to German Hip Hop, sounds amusing.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Hopefully I won't need much help (unless it's ridiculous, like Goethe :p:), I'm just wondering how realistic it is to read 600 pages of German prose in four weeks.

ReputationRep:
    My 2 favourite German Hip Hop songs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6ddS...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4amN3fWLYA

*sings along* "Zeig die Titten und wackel mit dem Arsch, heb die Hände hoch, los beweg dich, hab dein Spass bevor’s zu spät ist, du lebst nicht ewig, los beweg dich!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Hopefully I won't need much help (unless it's ridiculous, like Goethe :p:), I'm just wondering how realistic it is to read 600 pages of German prose in four weeks.
    I wouldn't be able to manage it but if you happen to know alot of German then it should be manageable if you pace yourself. It shouldn't be a problem for you if you go over the 4 weeks though should it?
    It would probably take me 4 weeks to read a few Mr Men in German let alone 600 pages of it. :eek:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I think I'm gonna read Das Glasperlenspiel. Wonder if I can finish it by the end of this holiday, I haven't even looked at how hard the German is yet...
    Glasperlenspiel is a great book. My favourite Hesse novel. It isn't exactly *easy* stuff, but I don't think you'd find it particularly hard either. As far as I remember, Hesse has a nice, clear, slightly old-fashioned style of writing, so you may come across a few words or expressions that are unfamiliar, but that's about it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by wtid)
    My 2 favourite German Hip Hop songs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6ddS...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4amN3fWLYA

*sings along* "Zeig die Titten und wackel mit dem Arsch, heb die Hände hoch, los beweg dich, hab dein Spass bevor’s zu spät ist, du lebst nicht ewig, los beweg dich!"
    :eek: So that's the sort of phrases you're learning, eh?

:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    :eek: So that's the sort of phrases you're learning, eh?

:p:
    Haha yes! The first sentence I learnt was...well, not for a family forum Luckily I'm young and innocent so I don't know what it all means *angel*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtid)
    Haha yes! The first sentence I learnt was...well, not for a family forum Luckily I'm young and innocent so I don't know what it all means *angel*
    Somehow I'm not quite convinced, I just had a look at your profile and according to that your 23?! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Somehow I'm not quite convinced, I just had a look at your profile and according to that your 23?! :eek:
    Das stimmt. Young at heart and mind then, should I say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtid)
    Das stimmt. Young at heart and mind then, should I say?
    We are all young at heart deep down.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Glasperlenspiel is a great book. My favourite Hesse novel. It isn't exactly *easy* stuff, but I don't think you'd find it particularly hard either. As far as I remember, Hesse has a nice, clear, slightly old-fashioned style of writing, so you may come across a few words or expressions that are unfamiliar, but that's about it.
    Got through about 5 pages. Don't know what the hell he's on about, but the German doesn't seem too bad...

ReputationRep:
    Got through about 5 pages. Don't know what the hell he's on about, but the German doesn't seem too bad...
    I usually put a book down within a few pages if I don't understand it. :rolleyes: You reckon you'll be able to read it within the 4 weeks then?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I usually put a book down within a few pages if I don't understand it. :rolleyes: You reckon you'll be able to read it within the 4 weeks then?
    I reckon I am capable of reading it in that time. Whether I'll be able to depends on whether I start to hate it (like you, I have a very short attention span with books) and how much maths I have to do.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon I am capable of reading it in that time. Whether I'll be able to depends on whether I start to hate it (like you, I have a very short attention span with books) and how much maths I have to do.
    If books dont have a good opening then I usually start to hate it. :rolleyes: I'm surprised you have a short attention span with books being a maths student.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yes, it's a bit complex and confusing at first, but you just need to give it some time. It's worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Listening to music is also quite good, particularly if you find a band you like that's not too hard to understand.
    Try Wir Sind Helden - Good songs and once you get used to them they're quite easy to break apart and try to understand, with a few songs that are quite challenging.

Is it better in your opinons to try and read a book that you've read in English first, or one that you haven't? I brought Herr der Diebe by Cornelia Funke on my exchange in April, and I'm still stuck in ch. 2. I'm finding the language etc is ok - Understandable if I concentrate - but often I'm just unsure of where the story is going/has gone and it makes me want to throw it out of the window! I've considered getting it in English, what do you all think?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2013

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.