Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by wtid)
    Lol I didn't even know about this "certain verbs take sein in the past tense" rule. Oh well, learn something new every day
    Yes, they're more or less evenly divided and there are no clear rules as to which verbs take 'haben' or 'sein', so you basically just have to learn it by heart.
    *waits for generalebriety to correct her* :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Yes, they're more or less evenly divided and there are no clear rules as to which verbs take 'haben' or 'sein', so you basically just have to learn it by heart.
    *waits for generalebriety to correct her* :p:
    Actually there are pretty clear rules...

The ones taking sein usually have some form of motion - going from A to B - i.e. gehen, fahren etc.

Also verbs which indicate a change of state...i.e. sterben, aufwachen etc

And also sein and bleiben as an exception
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Fleece)
    Not even countries... countries generally don't have an article either, apart from die Schweiz and die Türkei and die USA... but they would never take "ins" either, being as they're feminine and plural (USA).
    Well, but on the other hand you do have regions that are neutral (das Elsaß, das Sauerland, etc.)...

The real reason why it couldn't possibly be 'ins' in this case, though, is that 'ins' is accusative, but kiss_me_now's sentence requires the dative.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the rule of thumb was if there's motion involved, then it's sein? No motion/movement - haben? That's what I've always done.

Maybe I should just leave the whole in/s thing alone and never mention a place or country when I'm speaking german

Don't get me started on the dative/accusative/nominative... It makes my brain fry!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Fleece)
    Haha ja vielleicht...ich hab bis jetzt viele deutsche Bücher gelesen, dass ich mich ein wenig daran gewöhnt habe.
    Übung macht den Meister.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Don't get me started on the dative/accusative/nominative... It makes my brain fry!
    So you favour the genitive?

ReputationRep:
    My attempts at the genitive are often better than my attempts at the others... Though I still can't do it

ReputationRep:
    Well, but on the other hand you do have regions that are neutral (das Elsaß, das Sauerland, etc.)...

The real reason why it couldn't possibly be 'ins' in this case, though, is that 'ins' is accusative, but kiss_me_now's sentence requires the dative.
    Yep. Was gonna mention the dative thing but couldn't actually be arsed to explain the whole thing haha...I'm far too lazy, unlike generalebriety!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    My ears are burning... :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    My ears are burning... :p:
    Why are your ears burning?

I'm learning German vocab right now!

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    This is my first post in this Forum I saw this thread and thought I could help you with your German (which actually sounds very well!) if you want and you can correct my mistakes in English cos I want to improve it I live in Germany, in NRW near to Düsseldorf... I´m 18 and I´m going to finish my Abitur in May´08... i was in London last year for an exchange (actually it was Ashford but nobody knows that i guess ) but only for 2 weeks...
    well... maybe we could talk a bit :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gembarla)
    Hey!
    This is my first post in this Forum I saw this thread and thought I could help you with your German (which actually sounds very well!) if you want and you can correct my mistakes in English cos I want to improve it I live in Germany, in NRW near to Düsseldorf... I´m 18 and I´m going to finish my Abitur in May´08... i was in London last year for an exchange (actually it was Ashford but nobody knows that i guess ) but only for 2 weeks...
    well... maybe we could talk a bit :cool:
    Welcome to the forums! Your English actually seems pretty good, nothing immediately jumps out that needs correcting. Only link I can make to Duesseldorf is that my girlfriends grandma who died in May, lived there.

Well, we are from England (the majority anyway) so I assume we know where Ashford is Assuming you mean Ashford, Kent?

*edit* "which actually sounds very good"
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by wtid)
    Welcome to the forums! Your English actually seems pretty good, nothing immediately jumps out that needs correcting. Only link I can make to Duesseldorf is that my girlfriends grandma who died in May, lived there.

Well, we are from England (the majority anyway) so I assume we know where Ashford is Assuming you mean Ashford, Kent?

*edit* "which actually sounds very good"
    I certainly didn't! :p: Anywhere south of Birmingham is a blank to me. (Well, except Cambridge. :p:)

Welcome to TSR and to the German learners' society, gembarla.

ReputationRep:
    I certainly didn't! :p: Anywhere south of Birmingham is a blank to me. (Well, except Cambridge. :p:)

Welcome to TSR and to the German learners' society, gembarla.
    Actually, I thought Birkinhead was down South Where is it then? *goes to check wiki*

...:eek: You're a...Scouser?!?! A CLEVER Scouser? That's news to me I'm even further North than you and I knew it, shame on you. *Goes to apply to Cambridge*

ReputationRep:
    No problem. I always assumed the highlighted 'Elizabeth' in my avatar would make it sort of obvious, but apparently it doesn't.
    I knew your name, yet didn't notice it highlighted in your avvie. I thought it was just a random mixture of words. Shows you how perceptive I am:rolleyes: :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by wtid)
    Actually, I thought Birkinhead was down South Where is it then? *goes to check wiki*

...:eek: You're a...Scouser?!?! A CLEVER Scouser? That's news to me I'm even further North than you and I knew it, shame on you. *Goes to apply to Cambridge*
    :eek2: Offensive! :p: Yes, I'm a scouser. Or, at least, down south I'm a scouser. Up north, people think I have quite a posh accent. :p:

ReputationRep:
    :eek2: Offensive! :p: Yes, I'm a scouser. Or, at least, down south I'm a scouser. Up north, people think I have quite a posh accent. :p:
    Whereas we geordies are just scum of the earth:getmecoat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gooner1592)
    Whereas we geordies are just scum of the earth:getmecoat
    I went to uni in MIDDLESBROUGH, I lived there for 3 years, you lot can't be any worse than there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtid)
    I went to uni in MIDDLESBROUGH, I lived there for 3 years, you lot can't be any worse than there!
    Well, I was talking to a few people on friday night when we were getting drunk in Oxford, and I asked them what they thought of Geordies. They said that they love to hear us speak. I then asked whether they think we're the closest things to primative animals, and they were like "huh?" They actually don't think we're too bad. Middlesbrough though...I shan't say anymore. I've not been there, and never want to go there. I've heard it's absolutely awful there! It shows that not every southerner takes the stereotypical view that all geordies are scum

*edit*: the primitive animals thing: comes from something that Londoners (apparently) say to northerners when playing games on the internet and whatnot. Stupid:rolleyes:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by gooner1592)
    Well, I was talking to a few people on friday night when we were getting drunk in Oxford, and I asked them what they thought of Geordies. They said that they love to hear us speak. I then asked whether they think we're the closest things to primative animals, and they were like "huh?" They actually don't think we're too bad. Middlesbrough though...I shan't say anymore. I've not been there, and never want to go there. I've heard it's absolutely awful there! It shows that not every southerner takes the stereotypical view that all geordies are scum

*edit*: the primitive animals thing: comes from something that Londoners (apparently) say to northerners when playing games on the internet and whatnot. Stupid:rolleyes:
    Fair point, really.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2013

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.