The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

wtid
I'm up for that :wink: As long as it's between April - September, since I'll be living over there then :p:

Es ist ja eine tolle Idee. :biggrin:
Reply 1221
generalebriety
TSR meet in Berlin? :angel:

Couple of small corrections:
One small correction.:wink:

Spoiler

Reply 1222
wtid
Ooo snazzy, someones paid for their name to be green :wink:

Yes, although that someone wasn't me, actually; a lovely person donated some of their hard-earned PS-helper riches to me, which I thought was really nice.:wink:
hobnob
One small correction.:wink:

Spoiler

Ah, crap - the one mistake I've been going out of my way to avoid! :redface: Thanks. :smile:
wtid
how do you say "he lived in a..." :-S What tense is that? Surely not the past? The sentence is "He lived in an extremely nice home.." but don't tell me the rest please, I want to try and do it myself. I just don't know about that tense, I think. It's not just "He has in an extremely nice home lived", is it?

Er wohnt in einem ganz [nice] Haus?
Reply 1225
Profesh
Er wohnt in einem ganz [nice] Haus?

'Ganz' doesn't quite do 'extremely' justice:wink:
gooner1592
'Ganz' doesn't quite do 'extremely' justice:wink:

I always used to equate 'ganz' with 'exceedingly'; but then, I've not studied German (formally or otherwise) for the better part of four years.
Reply 1227
Profesh
I always used to equate 'ganz' with 'exceedingly'; but then, I've not studied German (formally or otherwise) for the better part of four years.

:p: Nope. It's got pretty much the same meaning as 'ziemlich' which means 'quite':smile:
Reply 1228
gooner1592
:p: Nope. It's got pretty much the same meaning as 'ziemlich' which means 'quite':smile:

:ditto:
It means something along the lines of 'quite', 'very', 'pretty' (used as an adverb).
'Extremely' or 'exceedingly' I'd probably render as 'ausgesprochen', 'außergewöhnlich' or 'extrem' (this doesn't work in every context, though).

'Nice' can be a really tricky word to translate, though...
Reply 1229
Ok, ich werde den Thread ins Leben rufen!

Morgen gehe ich nach London :biggrin: Ich vermisse mein vegetarisches Restaurant! Hmmm ich habe kein mehr zu sagen.

Habt alle ein gutes Wochenende! <--with help from my gf :redface: I haven't learnt the imperative yet, I wouldn't have even known it WAS imperative.
wtid
Ok, ich werde den Thread ins Leben rufen!

Morgen gehe ich nach London :biggrin: Ich vermisse mein vegetarisches Restaurant! Hmmm ich habe kein mehr zu sagen.

Habt alle ein gutes Wochenende! <--with help from my gf :redface: I haven't learnt the imperative yet, I wouldn't have even known it WAS imperative.

"Habt"? Really? Hmm...

Na ja. Ich hoffe, du hast Spaß. :smile: Ich persönlich fahre morgen nach Manchester, um eine Freundin von mir zu besuchen. :smile:
Reply 1231
Du auch.:smile:
Ich fahre Montag nach Hause, aber ich habe noch nicht mal angefangen, meine Koffer zu packen...:s-smilie:
Reply 1232
generalebriety
"Habt"? Really? Hmm...

Yes, that's correct. Imperative plural looks identical to the second person plural.
hobnob
Yes, that's correct. Imperative plural looks identical to the second person plural.

Yep, but I've never heard that construction, "ein gutes Wochenende haben". I always think it should be verbringen or something.
Reply 1234
generalebriety
*cough*

(Ein Tippfehler, natürlich, aber trotzdem... :p:)

Woher willst du denn bitte wissen, daß ich nur einen Koffer habe?:wink:

Hmm, genaugenommen habe ich wirklich nur einen, aber "seine Koffer packen" ist eine Art Redewendung.
Reply 1235
generalebriety
Yep, but I've never heard that construction, "ein gutes Wochenende haben". I always think it should be verbringen or something.

"Verbringt ein gutes Wochenende"?? That doesn't really sound right to me.:s-smilie: "Habt" is a bit of an anglicism, but at least it's an anglicism that's fairly common...
hobnob
Woher willst du denn bitte wissen, daß ich nur einen Koffer habe?:wink:

Hmm, genaugenommen habe ich wirklich nur einen, aber "seine Koffer packen" ist eine Art Redewendung.

Yeah yeah. :wink: Not having a good German day, it seems. :wink:

Well, while I'm having a bad day, I might as well ask the stupid question I've been meaning to ask for a while. How do you use 'sagen' in the perfect tense? Which of these is right?

1. Er hat gesagt, "nein, bevor du ausgehst, musst du deine Hausaufgaben machen".
2. Er hat "nein, bevor du ausgehst, musst du deine Hausaufgaben machen" gesagt.

Both sound stupid. :redface:
Reply 1237
generalebriety
Well, while I'm having a bad day, I might as well ask the stupid question I've been meaning to ask for a while. How do you use 'sagen' in the perfect tense? Which of these is right?

1. Er hat gesagt, "nein, bevor du ausgehst, musst du deine Hausaufgaben machen".

Definitely 1. You'd use a colon instead of a comma, by the way.

(And yes, it does sound stupid).
Reply 1238
generalebriety
Yeah yeah. :wink: Not having a good German day, it seems. :wink:

You actually don't know something in German? My faith in humanity is restored!
hobnob
Definitely 1. You'd use a colon instead of a comma, by the way.

(And yes, it does sound stupid).

I thought 2 sounded a lot more stupid than 1. But nonetheless, both sound stupid to me. :p: What would you say that sounds less stupid, then? :p: I can't bring myself to say "er sagte".

Latest

Trending

Trending