Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    I thought 2 sounded a lot more stupid than 1. But nonetheless, both sound stupid to me. :p: What would you say that sounds less stupid, then? :p: I can't bring myself to say "er sagte".
    Indirekte Rede?:dontknow:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Indirekte Rede?:dontknow:
    Fair enough.

Cheers.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by wtid)
    You actually don't know something in German? My faith in humanity is restored!
    This is about the time when I like to remind people that I've only been learning the language a couple of years and am entitled not to know stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Es ist zu früh
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by wtid)
    Es ist zu früh
    Zu früh wofür?

ReputationRep:
    wach zu sein, ist meine Vermuting

ReputationRep:
    Gosh Ich so happy to have found this thread.
    I want to learn and practice the little of of Deutsch Ich knws
    I was born in Passau. By the way, is Passau German, slang? My German was quite good when i was little (im told), but ive forgotten most of it and think it'd be nice to learning the language again.

Tchusse!
    p.s: Meine Deutsch ist nicht so gut! <<< i PREFER to speak because Im not good at writing german at all!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by dream123)
    I was born in Passau. By the way, is Passau German, slang? My German was quite good when i was little (im told), but ive forgotten most of it and think it'd be nice to learning the language again.

Tchusse!
    p.s: Meine Deutsch ist nicht so gut! <<< i PREFER to speak because Im not good at writing german at all!
    Welcome.
    Passau German is probably some form of Bavarian, so I'd say it's dialect rather than slang. I may be wrong, though...

Spoiler:
    Show
    That should be "mein" Deutsch".
    Sprachen (i.e. Englisch, Isländisch, Japanisch, Urdu, Esperanto, Farsi, etc) sind immer Neutrum.

ReputationRep:
    Welcome.
    Passau German is probably some form of Bavarian, so I'd say it's dialect rather than slang. I may be wrong, though...

Spoiler:
    Show
    That should be "mein" Deutsch".
    Sprachen (i.e. Englisch, Isländisch, Japanisch, Urdu, Esperanto, Farsi, etc) sind immer Neutrum.
    Bitte, in English
    Und Danke.

Tchusse!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Bitte, in English
    Und Danke.

Tchusse!
    Hmm, sorry, I thought that was straightforward enough...
    Anyway: In German, languages are always neutral, so you can't say "meine Deutsch", because that would imply "Deutsch" (as in the language, that is) was feminine, which it isn't.

By the way:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    It's 'tschüß', not 'tchusse'.

ReputationRep:
    Rechtschreibung --> tschüss, or tschüs
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Fleece)
    Rechtschreibung --> tschüss, or tschüs
    The Ü is long, though, isn't it?:confused: As for 'tschüs', I know some people do spell it that way, but it's wrong.

By the way, on a completely random note, did you know 'tschüß' is a corruption of 'adios'?

ReputationRep:

No, no I was just joking.
    Anyway: In German, languages are always neutral, so you can't say "meine Deutsch", because that would imply "Deutsch" (as in the language, that is) was feminine, which it isn't.

By the way:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    So, how would you say my german is not good? Or would you not include the MY part?

Danke for correcting my mistakes Hobnob

tschüß :wink2:

ReputationRep:
    The Ü is long, though, isn't it?:confused: As for 'tschüs', I know some people do spell it that way, but it's wrong.

By the way, on a completely random note, did you know 'tschüß' is a corruption of 'adios'?
    It's not actually wrong - we had a big debate about this in a seminar the other week. Both forms are accepted in dictionaries. In fact, tschues is the more commonly seen.
    Some people say it with a long U, some with a short...

EDIT: Just did a bit of research... and

"Seit der Reform der deutschen Rechtschreibung von 1996 sind je nach Aussprache sowohl die Schreibweise tschüs als auch tschüss erlaubt; die Duden-Redaktion differenziert in der 23. Auflage nach der Aussprache: tschüss bei kurzer Aussprache des Vokals, tschüs bei langer. Bis einschließlich zur 20. Auflage war als Nebenform tschüß vorgesehen"
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    So, how would you say my german is not good? Or would you not include the MY part?
    If you translated it literally, it would be "mein Deutsch ist nicht besonders gut", which is fine, but a bit of a grammatical anglicism, strictly speaking. "Ich spreche nicht besonders gut Deutsch" sounds a lot better (as in "more German") to me.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Fleece)
    EDIT: Just did a bit of research... and

"Seit der Reform der deutschen Rechtschreibung von 1996 sind je nach Aussprache sowohl die Schreibweise tschüs als auch tschüss erlaubt; die Duden-Redaktion differenziert in der 23. Auflage nach der Aussprache: tschüss bei kurzer Aussprache des Vokals, tschüs bei langer. Bis einschließlich zur 20. Auflage war als Nebenform tschüß vorgesehen"
    Pah! Da sieht man mal wieder was für ein Blödsinn die Rechtschreibreform war. Davor konnte man 'tschüß' prima für beide Aussprachevarianten verwenden.:p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

Tchusse!
    Super, und wie alt bist du?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

By the way:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    For some reason we call that gender 'neuter', not 'neutral'.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Ahem. Yes, I know that, actually... I blame not getting much sleep last night because I was freezing. It's colder here than in York, actually.:eek:

ReputationRep:
    I refuse to say neuter, it's neutral damn it! Neuter brings to mind animals and procedures I'd rather not think about. :p:

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 18, 2013

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.