The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1260
wtid
I refuse to say neuter, it's neutral damn it! Neuter brings to mind animals and procedures I'd rather not think about. :p:

Then you'll be forever incorrect.
wtid
I refuse to say neuter, it's neutral damn it! Neuter brings to mind animals and procedures I'd rather not think about. :p:

Um... ok. But that's what it's called; it's not neutral. :s-smilie:

I take it you don't call "der Tisch" masculine either, then?
Reply 1262
generalebriety

I do, but everyone knows what I mean when I say neutral rather than neuter. I mean anyone I speak German too (i.e. all my German friends) say neutral too, so they understand.
Reply 1263
generalebriety

Well, presumably that brings to mind things he would like to think about...:p:

*runs and hides*
generalebriety
Super, und wie alt bist du? :smile:

*skims through dictionary*

Das da ein Geheimnis :biggrin:
Danke fur mein correction hobnob, i hope to learn this: "I spreche nicht besonders gut Deutsch"

Tchusse!
dream123
*skims through dictionary*

Das da ein Geheimnis :biggrin:
Danke fur mein correction hobnob, i hope to learn this: "Ich spreche nicht besonders gut Deutsch"

Tchusse!

Wie du willst. :p:

You might wish to learn it without hobnob's typo. You also might want to learn the correct spelling of 'tchusse' - or at least one of the three that have been being discussed... :rolleyes:
generalebriety
You also might want to learn the correct spelling of 'tchusse' - or at least one of the three that have been being discussed... :rolleyes:

Someone teach me some basics, Bitte. :biggrin: im eager to learn :biggrin:

tchus...by the way, i dont know how to add the dots on the top of the 'u'...is it absolutely necessary.

Is this correct: meine Name ist dream123. was ist sie Name?ist tu von deutcshland? It sounds so good and this is so fun!!!!
dream123
Someone teach me some basics, Bitte. :biggrin: im eager to learn :biggrin:

tchus...by the way, i dont know how to add the dots on the top of the 'u'...is it absolutely necessary.

Yep. The umlaut (two dots) changes the pronunciation of the vowel, and changes the meaning of the word in some cases, and most people consider ü a separate letter from u. If you're lazy, or you don't have umlauts on your keyboard, general practice is to write 'ue' for 'ü' (though this can be disadvantageous with words like 'zuerst', which is 'zu-erst', rather than 'zürst').

dream123
Is this correct: meine Name ist dream123. was ist sie Name?ist tu von deutcshland? It sounds so good and this is so fun!!!!

Mein Name ist dream123. You need to check the gender of each noun before you use it! Again, "meine" indicates that "Name" is feminine (which it isn't).

Was ist Ihr Name? "Your", rather than "you". Better is probably "Wie heißen Sie?" - "what are you called?", which is quite a set phrase.

Kommen Sie aus Deutschland? - "do you come from Germany?"

Are you actually using a textbook / grammar book / anything to learn from? Because it sounds like you're getting a bit ahead of yourself. I understand you're excited (hell, I always am when I start learning a language), but you have to start with the tedious basics, otherwise you don't pick any of the hard bits up.
Thank you for the corrections :biggrin: I have so many mistakes...so much to learn!
No, no textbook...just a dictionary :biggrin:

Anyone offering to teach a few basics of German language? *:biggrin:*
Reply 1269
You can't learn a language from a dictionary *shakes head in disbelief*
dream123
Thank you for the corrections :biggrin: I have so many mistakes...so much to learn!
No, no textbook...just a dictionary :biggrin:

Anyone offering to teach a few basics of German language? *:biggrin:*

No. Kauf dir ein Buch. :p:

I personally recommend the Hugo "In Three Months" course. Can get it with or without audio.
Fleece
You can't learn a language from a dictionary *shakes head in disbelief*

Hey, you cant blame me for trying :p:

general? Nein? omg....
Aber Danke fur die Name Buch :biggrin:
Reply 1272
generalebriety

You might wish to learn it without hobnob's typo. You also might want to learn the correct spelling of 'tchusse' - or at least one of the three that have been being discussed... :rolleyes:

Rub it in, why don't you?:mad:

:p:
Reply 1273
dream123

Erm, yes, he can.:s-smilie: Trying to learn a language purely through looking up random words in a dictionary is the sort of cunning plan that is bound to fail. If you're actually serious about wanting to learn German, you should invest in a decent textbook.
dream123

general? Nein? omg....
Aber Danke fur die Name Buch :biggrin:

I'm perfectly prepared to help you with any trouble you may have with German, but I'm no teacher and I'm not prepared to teach you from scratch. :s-smilie:
Reply 1275
hobnob
Erm, yes, he can.:s-smilie: Trying to learn a language purely through looking up random words in a dictionary is the sort of cunning plan that is bound to fail. If you're actually serious about wanting to learn German, you should invest in a decent textbook.

I'm a she not a he.
Reply 1276
generalebriety
Was ist Ihr Name? "Your", rather than "you". Better is probably "Wie heißen Sie?" - "what are you called?", which is quite a set phrase.

Isn't it also acceptable to ask "Was heißt du? / was heisßen Sie?"? Or is that just used for asking the names of objects in another languager? For example if I talk to my girlfriends mum and want to ask what "table" is in German, I just point to the table and ask "was heißt das auf Deutsch". (Actually I'm not sure if that's right either, but I'm sure she says the same to me, replacing Deutsch with Englisch).
Danke everyone :P
Reply 1278
dream123
Danke everyone :P

Danke an alle :P*

Der Schueler wird der Lehrer!
wtid
Danke an alle :P*

Der Schueler wird der Lehrer!

'The student is the teacher.' is that correct translation?

Latest

Trending

Trending